Antique Car Pricing Guide

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Antique Car Pricing Guide

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

So my grandma recently passed away and we now have a 1981 4 door Chevy Malibu with 53,000 original miles. The problem is KBB wont acknowledge this car and the site sucks for phones. I've been all over Google looking and can't find crap. Anyone know of any good online sites where I can see how much this car is worth?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Re: Antique Car Pricing Guide

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Throw dome Ds on that *****

seriously though I'd say you're looking at like $4k depending on what options it has.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... dan/Values
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:35 pm

That's considered antique?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 pm

I have a fully functional\state inspected fully restored 1961 MGA. Anyone interested?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Gaucho wrote:That's considered antique?

Anything over 25 years old is considered classic. I wouldnt consider that Antique. Antique to me is pre WWII.

If it was a 2 door, you might get like 7-8 grand. I dont think it's worth much.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 pm

i have an antique plate on my 87 fiero. vroom vroom
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Come to think i believe its over 20 years not 25 is allowed classic plates.

My uncle has a 93 Pontiac Firehawk he wants to sell me. Faster than a Corvette. I figured its worth like $25k.

Its worth about $6 grand.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Looks like its worth about 1,500. I guess for the year, condition, and original miles its OK.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Postby JS© on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 am

mac5155 wrote:

Anything over 25 years old is considered classic. I wouldnt consider that Antique. Antique to me is pre WWII.

Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition, which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle.

Vintage Registration Plates - A vintage registration plate is a “period-issued” registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed on an antique or classic vehicle with the same corresponding year of manufacturer.
Vintage registration plates are not manufactured or issued by PennDOT. Applicants are required to provide the vintage registration plate they wish to display on their antique or classic vehicle.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 am

Interesting. I'm like mac, I'd consider cars as old as 50 or even 60 years classic, but not antique. Are those official regulations?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 am

You don't HAVE to register your car that way - but if you do registration is cheaper and insurance is cheaper because you are limited in how much you can drive and what you can use your car for.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 am

You can only drive it something like 500 miles a year or something right?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 am

Gaucho, yep. Those are straight from the PA DMV site. 15 years on a classic doesn't seem much at all. That's like saying a 1998 car is now a classic, or will be in 4 days.

Mac, I thought there was a mileage restriction too. I was thinking it was closer to 3000. According to the same page, there's no restriction on mileage. However, there is a restriction on usage, which I'm not really sure on how you could police that.

The use of Antique, Classic and Vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania
Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique,
classic or vintage registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to
participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.”
Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

Although buses and trucks are eligible for Antique, Classic and Vintage registration plates, buses MAY NOT be
used to transport passengers and trucks MAY NOT haul cargo. Antique,

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fa ... fs-ant.pdf
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:10 pm

JS© wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Antique Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformance with manufacturer specifications.

Classic Motor Vehicle - A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured at least 15 years prior to the current year, which has been maintained in or restored to a condition, which is substantially in conformity with manufacturer specifications and appearance. Any classic motor vehicle registered under Section 1340 (relating to antique, classic and collectible plates) on the effective date of the amendment to this definition, which fails to qualify as a classic motor vehicle pursuant to these provisions may retain such classic registration unless another type of registration is applied for and issued for the vehicle.

Vintage Registration Plates - A vintage registration plate is a “period-issued” registration plate from 1906 to 1975 to be displayed on an antique or classic vehicle with the same corresponding year of manufacturer.
Vintage registration plates are not manufactured or issued by PennDOT. Applicants are required to provide the vintage registration plate they wish to display on their antique or classic vehicle.

With some work my '99 Stratus could be a Classic in just 2 years. More likely it will meet the crusher before then.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby powerplaygoal2125 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:26 am

offsides wrote:I have a fully functional\state inspected fully restored 1961 MGA. Anyone interested?

I am lol :scared: :fist:
powerplaygoal2125
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm

powerplaygoal2125 wrote:
offsides wrote:I have a fully functional\state inspected fully restored 1961 MGA. Anyone interested?

I am lol :scared: :fist:

It's a fun car to drive but has zero practicality. I actually commuted from Washington to Point Park College in the early seventies in an MGA. Made for some interesting trips. :lol:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR