Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Lawless -
Spoiler:
Pretty enjoyable movie (for the violence, depiction of Prohibition, etc, but I utterly can't stand Shia Lebouf in any movie he is in. In this movie, he made a bunch of stupid decisions but was hailed as the wizened hero at the end of the movie. I thought the guy that played the federal agent was evil to perfection. I thought going in Gary Oldman would have a bigger role being the villain, but that ended rather abruptly.

Moonrise Kingdom - Extremely entertaining (and touching) movie.....the Anderson brothers at their finest. The casting in this film is the best I've seen in recent years....just fantastic from top to bottom.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Any movies worth watching on Netlix lately? I watched the one that PF recommended. Wrecked with Adrien Brody. That was actually good.

Not sure if theyre of interest to you/your family but a number of Disney films have popped up on there. Disney signed an agreement with Netflix a month or so ago. No blockbusters like The Lion King or Snow White, but Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, etc.

I also noticed the Polar Express, Bad Boys II, and The Muppet Movie.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tomas on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Long live Airbus A330 - personal entertainment center with several dozens of *uncensored* movies (even e.g. Ted), HBO and Showtime shows and countless network programming - in the economy class!!

Out of 6 movies I saw on MSP-AMS and back:
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - definitely the winner. Huge box office success around the world, except in the US the distributors decided not to show it much, apparently because the US audience would not be interested in a bitter-sweet comedy about retired people relocating to India(?). Many stars in that movie (Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith, Dev Patel, the rocker from Love Actually...). The right combination of sad and funny. The only beef I had with the movie is that it covered a period of something like 2 months, and some characters went through quite unrealistic personality developments. Still, an enthusiastic thumb up.
Five year engagement - except for an unrealistic ending, quite an enjoyable story about (unsuccessfully) trying to harmonize dual careers. The trailer made it look funnier than the actual movie, but the movie was actually better when it showed the sadder parts.
Dinner for Schmucks - complete waste of Rudd's and Carrell's talents
Wanderlust - slightly better than the above, but still 'meh' IMO
Snow White and the Huntsman - my enjoyment completely spoiled by the lack of talent of the Snow White actress. Plus quite weird turns in an otherwise classic story did not sit with me well.
Hunger Games - actually, not bad
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 am

Django was awesome, Christoper Watz is an amazingly entertaining actor. Also saw Argo last night and thought it was great.

Finally got around to seeing TDKR, Bane was awesome and I thought it was great.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

The Thief and Cobbler is on Netflix now too. This is one of the most infamous movie productions of all time - it took something like 30 years to finally finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thief_and_the_Cobbler
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The Thief and Cobbler is on Netflix now too. This is one of the most infamous movie productions of all time - it took something like 30 years to finally finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thief_and_the_Cobbler

I'll check it out. Some animated movies are really fun, even if mainly targeted for kids.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:23 pm

This one was supposed to be the Ten Commandments/Ben Hur of animation. It was done little by little over decades and was imagined as the grand scale animation film that had never been seen before. They were attempting to do things similar to the ballroom dance scene in Beauty and the Beast - where the characters, camera, and room all move in 3D together. That was nearly impossible until computers began being used.

After impressing Hollywood with his work on Roger Rabbit, the director was given some studio money to work with but blew most of that too. Eventually it was rushed out to coincide with the release/success of Aladdin.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 pm

The Escapist. Excellent. Simple, complex, elegant.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:59 am

Unknown. Pretty good. The IFC commercial timing of course killed a lot of the momentum, but a decent story and acting all around.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 am

Going to attempt to see the Hobbit again tomorrow... if it doesn't work out this time, I'm taking my beer and going inside until it hits redbox.

edit: guess that is actually "today" now. Oh well.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 am

the wicked child wrote:Going to attempt to see the Hobbit again tomorrow... if it doesn't work out this time, I'm taking my beer and going inside until it hits redbox.

edit: guess that is actually "today" now. Oh well.

Order the tickets on Fandango and be done with it.

Let nothing get in your way!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 am

Ha. I ordered them ahead of time for Wednesday too and mother nature gave me a big F.U. Hoping the same won't happen this time. Have the tickets again, but need to hope it's not a disaster to get to the theater...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:10 am

Eismann wrote:Unknown. Pretty good. The IFC commercial timing of course killed a lot of the momentum, but a decent story and acting all around.

And anything with Liam Niesen is awesome
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 am

Throwing my support behind shafnutz for Moonrise Kingdom and Tomas for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Saw them both in the last several weeks and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I thought Jared Gilman gave a performance beyond his years in Moonrise, and, as Tomas mentioned, TBEMH has some terrific Beebsters.

(Beeb = BBC)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 am

new Total Recall. The first 10 minutes I thought it might just be alright, but sadly it goes downhill fast. The throwbacks to the original are all too forced, and while there are some really cool concepts, it's just boring and unnecessary. Kate Beckinsale is pretty good in this doing her best T1000 impersonation and she's quite the looker. For some reason there is a lens flare literally within every minute and it's extremely annoying.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 am

Highly recommend Les Miserables. You don't get that emotional punch from the voices of Jackman and Crowe as you do from Broadway, but you still benefit and achieve it similarly from their acting and advantage of being on film. All the female characters were wonderful, and Eddie Raydmanes' Marius was the best Marius I've ever heard. Ann Hathaway was stunning, the entire audience was in tears throughout most of the flick. This is such an epic movie and I love how Tom Hooper can make it so claustrophobic and personal being as big as it is. Go see this in the theater.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 am

21 jump street...first half was great, second half was eh, overall was good.

It turned into an action movie at some point. It lost me there. But there were enough funny moments to make it a good watch.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Eismann wrote:Unknown. Pretty good. The IFC commercial timing of course killed a lot of the momentum, but a decent story and acting all around.

Specified, have I should. It's the Caviziel, Kineer, Pantoliano "Unknown". Bunch of guys wake up in a warehouse, can't remember anything. Kinda Saw meets Reservoir Dogs lite.

I did also enjoy the Neeson "Unknown", ftr.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Finally saw the Hobbit. Very good. Will comment more later.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm

a couple things about forrest gump...ping pong is a wildly inappropriate game to be played by people in wheelchairs and crutches. contorting you legs to fetch balls is like 80% of that activity. and jenny...why are you flashing a peace sign to the guy when you leave him in DC? he just had a magical evening with you and all he wanted was an honest goodbye. and you feel the need to bring some political gesture that he doesn't even understand into the mix. what a b-word move.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Watched goon and men in black 3 last few days. I kinda liked goon. Loved the "they pay me to bleed, so i bleed" line.

I thought MIB3 was ok, though im guessing not many will agree.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I thought MIB3 was ok, though im guessing not many will agree.

That's in the Netflix queue for us. I've heard pretty positive things about it, especially relative to MIB 2.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:51 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I thought MIB3 was ok, though im guessing not many will agree.

That's in the Netflix queue for us. I've heard pretty positive things about it, especially relative to MIB 2.

If you go into it with realistic expectations, its fine. Also i did not know until afterwards that the villain is played by jemain clement. Would have viewed the character a lot differently.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 am

Man, pulp fiction is a great movie.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 am

Eismann wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Specified, have I should. It's the Caviziel, Kineer, Pantoliano "Unknown". Bunch of guys wake up in a warehouse, can't remember anything. Kinda Saw meets Reservoir Dogs lite.

I did also enjoy the Neeson "Unknown", ftr.

Ah. That was also a good movie. never knew what was going to happen.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR