2012-2013 Winter weather thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012-2013 Winter weather thread

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's just now starting to snow out here on the South Shore of Long Island.

30 more days to Key West :pop:

I'm jealous!! Love Key West. Me and my wife were there 7 times. Very relaxing and beautiful place and sort of an adult playground.

I've spent parts of the past four winters there. This year, I' be there for 7 weeks, except for any trips work may make me take.

Where do you stay when you're down there?

WOW, 7 weeks, I am really jealous. We like a motel at the southern end of Duval St called the Southern Most. Easy walking (or moped) distance from all the action but far enough away to be quiet. Favorite bars are Hog's Breath, Cpt Tonys and The Bull. Also can't get enough of the snorkeling and sailing.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm

offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:It's just now starting to snow out here on the South Shore of Long Island.

30 more days to Key West :pop:

I'm jealous!! Love Key West. Me and my wife were there 7 times. Very relaxing and beautiful place and sort of an adult playground.

I've spent parts of the past four winters there. This year, I' be there for 7 weeks, except for any trips work may make me take.

Where do you stay when you're down there?

We like a motel at the southern end of Duval St called the Southern Most. Easy walking (or moped) distance from all the action but far enough away to be quiet. Favorite bars are Hog's Breath, Cpt Tonys and The Bull. Also can't get enough of the snorkeling and sailing.

Southern Most is nice, even if on the pricey side. Hogs breath is one of my favorites, (I'm wearing their t-shirt right now), my personal favorite is the "Green Parrot". "Wille T's" is a close second and "Schooner Warf" are close behind. The best happy hours are at Alonzo's. You can't beat watching the Sun Set at "Sun Set Pier" at Mallory Square.

It's a total exercise in 'liver destruction' which is why a have mixed feeelings about my time there :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I absolutely HATE the Weather Channel and their stupid "hey, let's start subjectively naming certain winter storms now!" thing. We are already on "Winter Storm Freyr". Seriously? It would be one thing if they had some kind of actual criteria, but it seems to be solely based on how much hype they want to raise.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:04 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Southern Most is nice, even if on the pricey side. Hogs breath is one of my favorites, (I'm wearing their t-shirt right now), my personal favorite is the "Green Parrot". "Wille T's" is a close second and "Schooner Warf" are close behind. The best happy hours are at Alonzo's. You can't beat watching the Sun Set at "Sun Set Pier" at Mallory Square.

It's a total exercise in 'liver destruction' which is why a have mixed feeelings about my time there :)

Forgot about Schooner Warf, but that was great too. I don't remember the first two, but I was probably in them as I didn't miss too many bars. Mallory Square was always entertaining and as for your liver, drinking is considered a sport down there.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm

offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Southern Most is nice, even if on the pricey side. Hogs breath is one of my favorites, (I'm wearing their t-shirt right now), my personal favorite is the "Green Parrot". "Wille T's" is a close second and "Schooner Warf" are close behind. The best happy hours are at Alonzo's. You can't beat watching the Sun Set at "Sun Set Pier" at Mallory Square.

Forgot about Schooner Warf, but that was great too. I don't remember the first two, but I was probably in them as I didn't miss too many bars. Mallory Square was always entertaining and as for your liver, drinking is considered a sport down there.

BtW, do you know where Sharp Ave is in Wash Pa? Over by the Medical Professional building. Just off of Murtland. I lived there from 1982 to 1989. Good times. I used to hang out in the Oregon Grill in those days, over behind the VW dealership. That and I frquented JP's and Hungry Jose's from back when Joe first opened the resturaunt. Still have very fond memories.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:

BtW, do you know where Sharp Ave is in Wash Pa? Over by the Medical Professional building. Just off of Murtland. I lived there from 1982 to 1989. Good times. I used to hang out in the Oregon Grill in those days, over behind the VW dealership.

Yes, I know where that is, I had the dreaded colonoscopy there about a year ago. I live out by Trinity HS. Lived in Washington for almost my whole life.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm imagining this board 40 years from now and Godric, PS87 and Rylan are discussing the good old days.

Spoiler:
Like how their used to be something called the NHL.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:47 pm

offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:

BtW, do you know where Sharp Ave is in Wash Pa? Over by the Medical Professional building. Just off of Murtland. I lived there from 1982 to 1989. Good times. I used to hang out in the Oregon Grill in those days, over behind the VW dealership.

Yes, I know where that is, I had the dreaded colonoscopy there about a year ago. I live out by Trinity HS. Lived in Washington for almost my whole life.

Wow. We were neighbrs back then. What's the name of the pizza joint near you? Hill Top? I used to pass by that place weekly. My Wife (At the time) had granparents who lived in Prosperity. She had an uncle who lived up by you named Don Foringer. I suess he'd have been a couple years older than you.

And yes Columbia, I'm sure the discussion will be about all of us old timers who passed away :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:59 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:

Wow. We were neighbrs back then. What's the name of the pizza joint near you? Hill Top? I used to pass by that place weekly. My Wife (At the time) had granparents who lived in Prosperity. She had an uncle who lived up by you named Don Foringer. I suess he'd have been a couple years older than you.

And yes Columbia, I'm sure the discussion will be about all of us old timers who passed away :pop:

It's called Hill House Pizza. Has been owned by the same man (Buck Walther) for as long as I can remember. The owners daughter is my next door neighbor. I remember Don and think he was about three years my elder. Pretty sure he lived right in my area, Gabby Heights.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:05 pm

offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
offsides wrote:

It's called Hill House Pizza. Has been owned by the same man (Buck Walther) for as long as I can remember. The owners daughter is my next door neighbor. I remember Don and think he was about three years my elder. Pretty sure he lived right in my area, Gabby Heights.

Funny, small world.. Don's brother Gene was my ex-Father-in-law (Lived in Buffalo Township out on Rt 40, near "Club 40")

Seems like an enternity ago.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Funny, small world.. Don's brother Gene was my ex-Father-in-law (Lived in Buffalo Township out on Rt 40, near "Club 40")

Club 40 is still there. Last bar on Rt40 till you get to WV. Really nice BSing with you EPP, but I guess we hi-jacked this thread (and the other one) long enough. :fist:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:28 pm

offsides wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Club 40 is still there. Last bar on Rt40 till you get to WV. Really nice BSing with you EPP, but I guess we hi-jacked this thread (and the other one) long enough. :fist:

Yep.. I'm out :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:44 pm

mac5155 wrote:Take the belt off and take it to Napa or another auto parts store. There are markings on it and if the markings are worn they will be able to match the new belt size. Belts wear, dryrot, stretch... Just replace it and you should be fine.

So a snowblower belt can be purchased at an auto parts store? Interesting. This sounds like a belt issue to you, not a snowblower issue?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ad@m on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Defence21 wrote:Snowblower question. I bought a used Brute Snow King 5HP, 6 Speed, 24" dual stage snow blower that isn't throwing the snow very far and is clogging easily. Everything I've read says this is a belt issue and that tightening the belt is a quick fix, but replacing is a long-term fix. My question is, are belts universal? In other words, how do I know what belt I'll need given that this is an off brand blower? Can I buy at Lowe's/Home Depot, or do I need to order online or go to a specialty store?

From what I've read, this snowblower isn't a bad machine, despite not being a brand name. I've also read that most snow blowers with similar specs should perform relatively the same so long as everything is working properly. This machine is in great shape with little rust, easy start on no more than 3 pulls, etc. I'm hoping my only issue is the
belt and not a poor performing machine?

Are any of the shear bolts in the auger missing?
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Check the rotator splint for chromaticism.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Ad@m wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Snowblower question. I bought a used Brute Snow King 5HP, 6 Speed, 24" dual stage snow blower that isn't throwing the snow very far and is clogging easily. Everything I've read says this is a belt issue and that tightening the belt is a quick fix, but replacing is a long-term fix. My question is, are belts universal? In other words, how do I know what belt I'll need given that this is an off brand blower? Can I buy at Lowe's/Home Depot, or do I need to order online or go to a specialty store?

From what I've read, this snowblower isn't a bad machine, despite not being a brand name. I've also read that most snow blowers with similar specs should perform relatively the same so long as everything is working properly. This machine is in great shape with little rust, easy start on no more than 3 pulls, etc. I'm hoping my only issue is the
belt and not a poor performing machine?

Are any of the shear bolts in the auger missing?

I checked and didn't think so -- then again, I may have missed some?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Check the rotator splint for chromaticism.

Say what? I'm looking for a compositional technique interspersing the primary diatonic pitches and chords with other pitches of the chromatic scale?
Last edited by Defence21 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 pm

It should sound like an A sharp. If it is a G flat use some WD-40.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

Tomorrows commute home from work should be fun.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 am

I'm faced with a very tough winter delemina today.

Spoiler:
should I go to the beach or hang out at the pool?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Pretty pumped for the rain/wind/squall line/cold front of fun that is starting to roll through the area.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm

It's 53 degrees still here, we're not getting any accumulation if it snows
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA
332 PM EST FRI FEB 1 2013

...TWO SEPARATE CLIPPER TYPE SYSTEMS WILL BRING PERIODS OF SNOW THROUGH
THE WEEKEND.

MDZ001-OHZ039>041-048>050-057>059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>016-
020>023-029-031-073>076-WVZ001>004-012-021>023-041-020445-
/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0007.130202T1500Z-130204T0000Z/
GARRETT-TUSCARAWAS-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-COSHOCTON-HARRISON-
JEFFERSON OH-MUSKINGUM-GUERNSEY-BELMONT-NOBLE-MONROE-MERCER-
VENANGO-FOREST-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-JEFFERSON PA-BEAVER-
ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-
WESTMORELAND RIDGES-FAYETTE-FAYETTE RIDGES-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-
MARSHALL-WETZEL-MARION-MONONGALIA-PRESTON-TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...
NEW PHILADELPHIA...DOVER...UHRICHSVILLE...CARROLLTON...
EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...COLUMBIANA...EAST PALESTINE...
WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...COSHOCTON...CADIZ...HOPEDALE...
STEUBENVILLE...ZANESVILLE...CAMBRIDGE...MARTINS FERRY...
ST. CLAIRSVILLE...BELLAIRE...BARNESVILLE...SHADYSIDE...
BRIDGEPORT...CALDWELL...WOODSFIELD...SHARON...HERMITAGE...
GROVE CITY...GREENVILLE...FARRELL...OIL CITY...FRANKLIN...
SUGARCREEK...TIONESTA...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...
ZELIENOPLE...CLARION...PUNXSUTAWNEY...BROOKVILLE...
REYNOLDSVILLE...BROCKWAY...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...
MONACA...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...
FORD CITY...LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...
WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...
MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...WAYNESBURG...FAIRDALE...GREENSBURG...
NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...LIGONIER...
DONEGAL...NEW FLORENCE...ACME...CHAMPION...UNIONTOWN...
CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...NORMALVILLE...FARMINGTON...
OHIOPYLE...MARKLEYSBURG...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING...
MOUNDSVILLE...NEW MARTINSVILLE...FAIRMONT...MORGANTOWN...
KINGWOOD...TERRA ALTA...PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS
332 PM EST FRI FEB 1 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO 7 PM
EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM
SATURDAY TO 7 PM EST SUNDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTALS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES WITH 6 TO 10
INCHES IN THE HIGHER RIDGE ELEVATIONS.

* SNOW BEGINNING...MID MORNING SATURDAY

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO MIDDAY
SUNDAY.

* SNOW ENDING...SUNDAY EVENING

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO SNOW COVERED
ROADS.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT SNOWFALL WILL CAUSE
TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND
LIMITED VISIBILITY. REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL
WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS
PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Bring it on snow
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Pacha: Uh-oh.
Kuzco: Don't tell me. We're about to have a huge snowfall.
Pacha: Yep.
Kuzco: Accidents and panic over it?
Pacha: Most likely.

Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR