FBI coordinated crackdown of Occupy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

FBI coordinated crackdown of Occupy

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:57 am

Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: FBI coordinated crackdown of Occupy

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:01 pm

This article certainly sounds unbiased.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Get a job ya hippies.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:30 pm

What is disturbing about this? Very little violence at the OWS camps, besides when they were required to leave. Even then, injuries were minimal.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Going to say this again because it still annoys me:

Part of OWS was about how there are no jobs for people just out of college... I have needed 0-2 years experience people for a job that pays $60k on target in downtown Phoenix with direct access to nearby buses (1 block away) and the light rail (3 blocks away). Full benefits and a matching 401k. I was supposed to hire up to 12 for our Jan 14th training class. Guess how many I got? 2. And I only got 4 or 5 people in for interviews.

The problem is the college grads want the jobs to come to them and don't want to work for their money. Stop whining and look for the jobs... they are out there. Yes, you will actually have to put in a solid work day every day if you want to make more than you can at McDonalds. But I guess it's easier to whine while on daddy's dime than to put in any time finding work.

/rant
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby scb147 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 pm

bhaw wrote:Going to say this again because it still annoys me:

Part of OWS was about how there are no jobs for people just out of college... I have needed 0-2 years experience people for a job that pays $60k on target in downtown Phoenix with direct access to nearby buses (1 block away) and the light rail (3 blocks away). Full benefits and a matching 401k. I was supposed to hire up to 12 for our Jan 14th training class. Guess how many I got? 2. And I only got 4 or 5 people in for interviews.

The problem is the college grads want the jobs to come to them and don't want to work for their money. Stop whining and look for the jobs... they are out there. Yes, you will actually have to put in a solid work day every day if you want to make more than you can at McDonalds. But I guess it's easier to whine while on daddy's dime than to put in any time finding work.

/rant

:thumb:
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:54 pm

I was going to say this belongs in the PDT, but seeing the responses, JTOR might be more appropriate.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Gaucho wrote:I was going to say this belongs in the PDT, but seeing the responses, JTOR might be more appropriate.

bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:05 pm

/rant

I got an internship summer before my senior year which paid almost $18 an hour - unheard of ever in my life. Then when that internship ended they brought me back in the only way they could - a consultant, that paid $13 an hour with no benefits. I stuck it out, in 4 months got full time back to $18 an hour in a crappy help desk job, now at 24 I was promoted to a position with great flexibility and $60k a year. Within 3 years of suffering I'm making bank and responsible for very important things. (kinda scary hehe)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:19 pm

/rant

What is the position? I havn't graduated yet but just wondering
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:26 pm

shot you a PM FireOnice.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:28 pm

mac5155 wrote:

/rant

I got an internship summer before my senior year which paid almost $18 an hour - unheard of ever in my life. Then when that internship ended they brought me back in the only way they could - a consultant, that paid $13 an hour with no benefits. I stuck it out, in 4 months got full time back to $18 an hour in a crappy help desk job, now at 24 I was promoted to a position with great flexibility and $60k a year. Within 3 years of suffering I'm making bank and responsible for very important things. (kinda scary hehe)

Nice, good for you man!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 pm

mac5155 wrote:

/rant

In a high demand field no less... Very smart Mac. If you're committed to studying and getting those certifications, and if you're willing to relocate/travel, the average income in that field can approach six figures after only a couple of years. Not bad work.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm

/rant

:fist:
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm

So that's it? There's no work problem? We have like 85% of college grads moving in back with their parents because they can't find a job, 1/3 doesn't believe in college education anymore, and 50% don't believe they will ever own a house. It's a real crisis from where I'm looking. But if a couple of you found jobs, that's fantastic.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby doublem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm

wow, I'm shocked, what does the FBI do with it's time when it's not foiling it's own terror plots?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Yea... some of these comments disturb me.

Nice comment by sarcastic though, listen I'm happy for those who find jobs but there is a major problem, to say otherwise because of a few success stories is just lol...

The problem is education is sold to everyone as the "golden ticket." Work hard, go to college, take out crazy loans... its al lworth it. Now everyone goes to college, many students will have a worthless degree and a stack of student loans no matter how hard they work. Colleges have become cash-grabbers in many instances as they just collect the $ as government sells pipedream loans so someone can go $100 k in debt for a music degree
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby doublem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:15 pm

/rant

I don't think that's a fair statement at all.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:22 pm

I don't really find this that surprising. Special interest controls the government. Bottom line. This was also the first time since what the 60's/70's where there was large mass peaceful protest over something. It seemed almost like the government was shocked this was occurring and eventually found a way to stop it. Yes there were some non-peaceful protesters but for the vast majority they were peaceful and were wrongfully disbursed. Oh well the constitution means nothing anymore anyway.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:32 pm

The FBI has to do something while foiling their own terror and spying on CIA directors affairs.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 am

OWS = wahhh

Spend that much effort actually trying to find a job, and I bet you'd end up with a job.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:00 am

ulf wrote:OWS = wahhh

Spend that much effort actually trying to find a job, and I bet you'd end up with a job.
I don't like the movement, but planning assassinations and defining these people as terrorists is pretty despicable. Any dissent in this county from this point out is going to be branded 'terrorism' and once you movement gets that brand, anything goes. Locked up with no trial? Sure. Killed from a secret list? Could happen! It's not about the occupy movement, it's about how our government reacts to these situations.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:08 am

If that article is true, then yeah, not a fan.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:23 am

Stripped of the adjectives and editorializing, the article seems like a lot of isolated facts placed into a certain context to make an implication.

This, for example, is completely unremarkable, IMO, but the article makes it sound scandalous:

The Federal Reserve of Richmond, Virginia had its own private security surveilling Occupy Tampa and Tampa Veterans for Peace and passing privately-collected information on activists back to the Richmond FBI, which, in turn, categorized OWS activities under its "domestic terrorism" unit.

Actual: In other words, a target of the OWS movement had security. They cooperated with law enforcement. The branch of law enforcement that handled the information was "domestic terrorism."

Implication: Banks and FBI worked hand in hand to destroy OWS because it viewed it as a terrorism.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 am

bh wrote:
ulf wrote:OWS = wahhh

I don't like the movement, but planning assassinations and defining these people as terrorists is pretty despicable. Any dissent in this county from this point out is going to be branded 'terrorism' and once you movement gets that brand, anything goes. Locked up with no trial? Sure. Killed from a secret list? Could happen! It's not about the occupy movement, it's about how our government reacts to these situations.

Assassination = Prophylactic Sharp Shooters in case of uncontrolled riot

Classifying as Terrorists = The Domestic Terrorism unit handled the event (which other department would?)

I'm as liberal as can be on federal law enforcement, but this article is making a lot out of nothing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR