Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Froggy on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:30 pm

i agree that the civil war storyline in Skyrim was way more fun. I wish it had been longer, to be honest... and a bit more varied than it was. I've played through it a few times, and i almost always pick the imperial side, just because even though the stormcloacks have a point about it being their homeland, and religious persecution being terrible, ulfric is kind of a jerk. well, not kind of. he's a horrible horrible tyrant. i wish he would have been painted with a bit more subtlety. plus, i like jarl balgruuf. i don't want to screw him over. and i get attatched to whiterun because it's the first city you find, and the first place you buy a house, etc...
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 pm

The ending to AC 3 is infuriating. 2015 release date for the next one. I hate you ubisoft...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm

skullman80 wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Was browsing through the list of demos in the PS Store only to find several were exclusive to their + network. What kind of garbage is that? I need to pay you $ so I can play a demo of a game I might want to buy? yeah, no.

microsoft does this too well at least they would make demos exclusive to gold members for like a week on some titles then after a week anyone could download it. not sure if they still do that or not. Ps+ is totally worth it imo if only for all the full free games you can download.

I'm sure PS+ is fine for what it is... but there is no reason a demo should be exclusive to it, IMO. The whole point of a demo is so you can try a game before dropping a bunch of money on it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 pm

bhaw wrote:Everyone's gotta start somewhere. I was that guy once :(

haha bhaw I totally understand. I'm saying...why was he playing hardcore CTF (which is generally comprised of pretty solid players) when he should probably be playing core deathmatch to learn the ropes? All he is doing is being a complete waste of space in that environment.

BTW, I played with someone today that had a K:D ratio of 2.94. wtf
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm loving Far Cry 3...so much fun. I've only unlocked 3 radio towers so far. I've been hunting/crafting, and just crafted my 4 weapon holster.

I haven't found anything in this game that I don't like. You can play it just about any way you want to...and at any pace.

So fun.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 pm

yeah, i'm regretting getting halo4 instead of far cry 3.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:34 pm

I'll never forget playing the first FarCry...and having my heart rate go up when you are listening through the binocs and all of a sudden you hear that trademark growl...what a game.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 am

Rylan wrote:I liked Skyrim. But it was nowhere close to Oblivion or Morrowind in terms of my enjoying it. Part of that was probably the insanely high expectations I had, but the game just felt bland to me. The side missions were good and the core part of the game was good. The problem was with the main story and the little things.

The main story sucked. It would have been a good, perhaps great, DLC content story. But as the driving central plot of the game. It was just terrible. I was never engaged enough to care and the people I was saving more often than not I hoped died. The dragons could take over for all I care. **** the people.

Oblivion and Morrowind's main plot was enjoyable. They had the epic feel that Skyrim lacked. The first dragon encounter was cool. After that I just got annoyed by the jerks. Closing the gates in Oblivion was something I thoroughly enjoyed. The combat of Skyrim in the Oblivion world would have made me soo happy. But I love Oblivion so perhaps I am biased.

Skyrim fixed things that Oblivion lacked. I thought the dungeon and cave looting were more satisfying in Skyrim. I liked the side quests a bit more, especially ones like the Civil War (this should have been the main quest...) but it regressed in other areas such as commerce.

You see I didn't like closing the Oblivion gates. I found it tedious.

I will say closing Oblivion gates felt like it meant something, so I'll give it that.

I hardly began the Civil War storyline yet because I couldn't decide which side I wanted. Didn't like either one, but I hated Ulfric. I felt compelled to join him, since I was a Nord, but I still couldn't do it.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:09 am

The Civil War had so much going for it. Do you free the homeland Nords and instill a jerk for a leader, or do you fight for the occupiers and the Thalmor (who I thought were the PERFECT bad guys)?

Hell, I would have accepted that one of the sides was trying to use the dragons to win the overall war if you wanted to play that way. But that war had so much it could have had so much. Capture a fort to activate the next subterfuge or assassination and have the various towns and cities talking about the war as it is going on. How the Nords did a daring raid on Fort ??? or how the Imperials took city ??? or even if you failed you would here of the heroic stand. I don't know. But when the most interesting part of the game lacked any true substance it saddened me.

Also yea, Ulfric seriously sucked.

As for finding the gates being tedious I can understand that. To me, the game felt more epic. It felt like something major was happening and I was the only one that could win. Killing dragons eventually just felt like an exotic hunt more than a world saving quest.

I hate Thieves Guild quests, never made it through the Skyrim one. But, the Dark Brotherhood again delivered. It is consistently one of the best story lines in The Elder Scrolls. Ever since Morrowind when I had one try to kill me while I slept, the Dark Brotherhood has been so much fun. And man was it AWESOME.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 am

newarenanow wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It is absolutely mindblowing how FRIGGING TERRIBLE some Black Ops/COD players are. I was just on a team with one such horrible player...hardcore CTF. He went the entire match without killing a single soul. No captures, no returns, nothing. He contributed nothing. I checked his K:D ratio, it was like 0.3. Why the **** are you playing hardcore CTF if you are so utterly terrible at the game?

I don't see what would be fun about playing a game in which you get killed anywhere from four to a dozen times between every time you actually kill someone on the other team. What's the point?

Was his username canaan?

I don't play FPS, Johnny Walkthroughs. I'm elbow deep in Nintendoland right now, though. This game is a ton of multiplayer fun.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:40 am

canaan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It is absolutely mindblowing how FRIGGING TERRIBLE some Black Ops/COD players are. I was just on a team with one such horrible player...hardcore CTF. He went the entire match without killing a single soul. No captures, no returns, nothing. He contributed nothing. I checked his K:D ratio, it was like 0.3. Why the **** are you playing hardcore CTF if you are so utterly terrible at the game?

I don't see what would be fun about playing a game in which you get killed anywhere from four to a dozen times between every time you actually kill someone on the other team. What's the point?

Was his username canaan?

I don't play FPS, Johnny Walkthroughs. I'm elbow deep in Nintendoland right now, though. This game is a ton of multiplayer fun.

Mario chase, luigis mansion & donkey Kong crash are highly addicting
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 am

Donkey Kong is my favorite. When we have people over, its Mario,Luigi all day. I dug into metroid last night and am starting to get my swagger on it. Pikmin is a ton of fun as well
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 am

Today feels like a super mario Wii kinda day.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:08 pm

The Thieves guild quest got better the further into it you played. The plus side to playing the quest is you get this sweet looking Nightingale armor and a new power.

I haven't played Oblivion in quite awhile, but Skyrim's thieves guild seemed more mystical. I couldn't complete Oblivion's thieves guild due to a bug that halted my progress.

I've been trying to save the Dark Brotherhood quest for last because I've heard it's really good. Still at the early stages.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 am

malkinshair wrote:I'm loving Far Cry 3...so much fun. I've only unlocked 3 radio towers so far. I've been hunting/crafting, and just crafted my 4 weapon holster.

I haven't found anything in this game that I don't like. You can play it just about any way you want to...and at any pace.

So fun.

I'm about four hours in, and I love it.

However, I've hit a problem that may end with me pulling my hair out. This morning I decided to clean up my computer and so I uninstalled a bunch of games to free up drive space. I used a tool called Revo Uninstaller, cos it digs deep and cleans out registry items that are usually overlooked by the standard uninstall program included with the software. Anyway, several of the games I nixed were downloaded via Steam. And when I started up Steam after rebooting my system.... well.... Steam was gone. The launcher file was AWOL. So I redownloaded the installer and ran a repair. When I got back into my library, all of my games were gone.... including FC3 and MOH 2010 and the three Crysis titles, none of which I had actually uninstalled. I'm currently re-downloading FC3, but I fear my savegame ist kaput and I'll have to start all over again. And that makes me cranky.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am

MRandall25 wrote:I got F1 2012 as a bit of a change from normal racing (Forza).

My god, it's exhilarating. Take Forza and NFS type games and amp them up to 100. Everything moves so fast. You're constantly trying to gauge how much to hit the throttle and when to brake because these cars go from 0-100 in like 4 seconds.

They can actually do 0-100-0 in about six seconds. Standing start, accelerate to 100 mph, brake back to a stop.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 am

malkinshair wrote:I'm loving Far Cry 3...so much fun. I've only unlocked 3 radio towers so far. I've been hunting/crafting, and just crafted my 4 weapon holster.

So fun.

Ahh, I'm a few hours ahead of you. I took the same route. I didn't do any missions and just unlock towers and craft items.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

black ops 2 - multiplayer isnt bad. pretty apparent which weapons are too powerful since everyone uses them
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:black ops 2 - multiplayer isnt bad. pretty apparent which weapons are too powerful since everyone uses them

I've become a huge fan of the black hat
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 am

Question on Far Cry - How important is playing 1 and 2 before playing 3? Related story line (like Half-life, say)...somewhat similar story lines but not needed (like Call of Duty MW games), or completely separate games where nothing is really related besides maybe a couple inside jokes?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Question on Far Cry - How important is playing 1 and 2 before playing 3? Related story line (like Half-life, say)...somewhat similar story lines but not needed (like Call of Duty MW games), or completely separate games where nothing is really related besides maybe a couple inside jokes?

Absolutely zero relation
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:black ops 2 - multiplayer isnt bad. pretty apparent which weapons are too powerful since everyone uses them

I've become a huge fan of the black hat

Thats the hacker thing, right? Do you just randomly try to use it and see if you can find anything to hack in your area, or do you wait until you see a sentry or something go up (maybe with engineer on to show enemy equipment) and try to go get close to it?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Most of the time I will just hack the first thing I see...the thing that I hate is that if you hack someone's bouncing betty or something that they are using to guard their camping post, it gives them a notification so they immediately know not to go near it. I always use engineer with it, and I will go after disruptors or sentries first.

I think the "Your equipment has been destroyed/hacked" notification is BS, especially in hardcore.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm

I've been successful with just about every weapon :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

thepittman wrote:

I've been successful with just about every weapon :pop:

What I've seen suggests otherwise :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR