Current book being read/just finished

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current book being read/just finished

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Moonstone and the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins are great crime novels.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Just finished the Hyperion quartet by Dan Simmons. The first book was absolutely amazing. The first three are really good, but hte first one is extra special god-tier Sci-Fi. The last book was soff though, but still a great series. Now on to my final re-read (actually re-listen) to Wheel of Time before the final book comes out early next year.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Moonstone and the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins are great crime novels.

:thumb:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:38 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I've read The Dragon Tattoo and the Hunger Games trilogies this year, eclipsing the number of novels I've read since high school by . . . six. Looking for some suggestions. I like crowd-pleasers, I think. The Millennium trilogy was definitely better than the Hunger Games (totally different worlds). But I would love a crime novel or better yet a complex plot like Larson wrote.

Have you read any Stephen King? He would certainly fit the definition of crowd-pleaser. Books like It, The Stand, and the Dark Tower series are pretty good.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Hilarity Ensues: Tucker Max... not his best showing for the fratire genre but still entertaining. I bought it, read it, and returned it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Meh - Steven King looks outside my interests. I think I'd read the Lord of the Rings trilogy before I'd embark on King.

PS - Thanks for all of your suggestions. Moonring intrigues me, for sure. How is the prose? Is it full of 19th century usage, or does it read cleanly.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged

Didn't get it when I read it as a teenager, but sheesh... eerily similar to the political positions today.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm

The prose in Moonstone is pretty standard for Victorian Era English Literature.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 60sixx on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 am

Finished Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer....moved on to the second book, Sins of the Father.....huge fan of both books.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Just finished Jam by Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw, who is best known as a weekly video-game reviewer. It’s about an apocalypse. Of Jam. I would compare the tone of this book to something that might have been written by the late Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s not a great book, but it’s certainly entertaining enough that I can recommend it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 pm

I am now into Book II of Peter Matthiessen's "Shadow Country"....I really cannot recommend the book enough at this point. Just an incredible work of fiction, and the portrayal of the turn of the century/early 20th century southwest Florida coast is fascinating. It's a long read, but definitely worth it.

To add, it is based on a true story, as apparently there was an Edgar J Watson that was gunned down by a large group of self-styled vigilantes right around the Great Hurricane of 1910. Excellent read.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 am

I decided to pick up some modern fiction this year for the first time in about 3 years.

Has anyone read anything by Haruki Murakami? I'm about 2/3 of the way through Kafka on the Shore. This story is nuts, there are some really cool concepts of consciousness, I'm not all the way through but I think that characters are either sharing the same physical body or mental conscience. Either way, people that like complicated stories and trying to figure things out should consider this.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 am

Just finished Book 2 of Shadow Country...outstanding. Onto the last book
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 am

Got Mortality (Hitchens) from my mom today. Hoping to read it this weekend.

Incidentally, she's working on a similar book herself right now that I will likely be promoting on here in a few months.
Last edited by Kraftster on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 am

Inspired by the movie, so I'm reading The Hobbit for the first time in a few years.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am

Currently reading Team of Rivals by DKG. Awesome book.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am

Allrighty. Finished up Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It was OK, I liked the finish. I'll definitely get to the other books eventually.

Next up, I read Neil Young's memoir Waging Heavy Peace. Very good, but very stream-of-consciousness. I enjoyed it a great deal, and read it quickly. I am a big Neil Young fan, so it appealed to me anyway. Forgot his dad was a co-host of the Hot Stove on HNIC back in the day. Neil is a San Jose Sharks season ticket holder, too.

I'm currently reading September Hope by John MacManus. It covers the U.S. participation in Operation Market Garden during WWII. This is the infamous "Bridge too Far" operation that essentially destroyed the British 1st Airborne Division. The Brits have received the most academic discussion for this operation (as is warranted by their heroic stand), so it's good to see some love for the two U.S. Airborne divisions that also participated in Market Garden. Some of the Easy Company members pop up from time to time, which is pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/September-Hope-Am ... ember+hope
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 60sixx on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Read books 1 & 2 of The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer--absolutely LOVED them. Am currently reading another of his books, Kane & Abel....really, really good. He's a terrific storyteller. Highly recommend.
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Got the "Best of Down Goes Brown" for Christmas. Read it cover to cover Christmas night. Hilarious read.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:48 pm

About to start A Memory of Light, which is the 14th and final book of the Wheel of Time series. I bought the first book in this series when it came out in 1990, and I was a high-school sophomore at the time. It’s been a long road, and author Robert Jordan actually died in 2007. The series was finished by Brandon Sanderson using Jordan’s extensive notes and recordings. I hope other authors manage to finish their master works in less time (*cough* Martin *cough*).
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I think I started the Wheel of Time series in middle school or early high school and have kept reading the books, even as the plot got more and more needlessly tangled. I'm significantly less interested in the series now, but I will pick up Memory of Light once an e-version is available to finish it up. It's this experience with the Wheel of Time that made me resolve to not read Game of Thrones or any other long and involved fantasy series until the series is finished.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm

npv708 wrote:Currently reading Team of Rivals by DKG. Awesome book.

Want to read this as well. Then What it Takes, which apparently is the 80's version of Game Change.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:47 pm

npv708 wrote:Currently reading Team of Rivals by DKG. Awesome book.

Yeah, that was a great book. I was in a phase of getting audio books from the local library to listen to while driving and kept putting off getting that because, even though I like history books, the description of the book as dealing with the formation of Lincoln's cabinet just didn't seem exciting. Finally, I'd listened to pretty much every book I had any interest in and got Team of Rivals, and it was one of the most engrossing things I've ever read/listened to of any genre.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:55 am

i got some books from santa and tried to start some preston & child book...i got like 4 pages in before the awful writing was just too much to take. it was seriously like reading a middle school creative writing paper. the wife got the first beautiful creatures book and i thought that was written better :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 pm

I finished Blood Meridian last weekend. I can't get into that prose, it might just be a little bit above me. My mind wanders off a bit and I floated through some parts. Although I will say, there are some really crazy, captivating passages in that book.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR