Primanti's going natiowide

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Primanti's going natiowide

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 pm

You're talking gibberish. You should probably lay yourself down and take a nap, cos you're sounding delusional.

I don't deny that Carl's Jr is gross..... which is why I said I preferred it over Five Guys. But In n Out, Five Guys Fatburger are NOT all the same. And I'll have word with anyone who tries to conflate the two inferior establishments (5G and FB) with the clearly superior product offered by INO.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I mean maybe my expectations for In-n-Out were too high, or the one I was at wasn't great...but meh. It was the most average fast food burger. Maybe I ordered the wrong thing? It wasn't bad, but when I was back out West I drove past a bunch and didn't think about stopping again.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Is it just me, or are the "new" primanti's locations crap? I swear I could go to the Oakland Primanti and think the sandwich is the greatest thing ever, but I've stopped at the Grove City one for food twice and thought the sandwich was absolute crap. The bread is unbearably dry and the rest of the sandwich lacks the craftmanship that you get from the sandwich artisans at the anchor locations. If this is any indication, this investment is going to fail, and potentially make me look foolish for pgh association with the sandwich.

Well.. those people for the most part wont have anything to compare it to because they've never been to the strip district, oakland, etc.

Strip is the best. Since it's the original. Both downtown locations are good. Never ate at the Oakland one.

As for suburban, the one in North Versailles is pretty good. Haven't eaten at other ones.

I think it's important to consider one's level of sobriety at each location when determining which location is best. I used to go to Primanti's in the strip after a night of drinking and the sandwiches were great, but even Dirty O food was great after a night of drinking.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I am also totally aware that tifosi will pwn me with a multi-paragraph post very shortly :lol:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm

I had In-and-Out one time when I was in Vegas, and I thought it was good. Kept me full, and I didn't have to go to the bathroom immediately after. I'd like to try it again because I burnt my tongue on some hot miso soup at a hibatchi grill the night before, so my taste wasn't at full strength.

I still liked Wendy's way better, though. Since then, I've noticed Wendy's is copying In-and-Outs model.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Somebody left an "n" out somewhere in this post. ;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:09 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Somebody left an "n" out somewhere in this post. ;)

It was over a year ago! :D

Hey, I ordered off the secret menu, so I wasn't a total noob.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 pm

digitalgypsy is gonna come in here and pwn all of this talk with that burger joint in south carolina.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

mac5155 wrote:digitalgypsy is gonna come in here and pwn all of this talk with that burger joint in south carolina.

Cookout?
Yeah, that place is the best.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 pm

columbia wrote:
mac5155 wrote:digitalgypsy is gonna come in here and pwn all of this talk with that burger joint in south carolina.

Cookout?

Cookout is awesome, but I thought you were a vegetarian :)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 am

I guess I don't really care about them expanding out of the Burgh that much. They're alright but I just think of them as another fast food joint. When people ask where to eat in Pittsburgh when they're visiting, I tell them to go to about half a dozen other places before I mention Primanti's, and even then it's just because the sandwich is "unique" I guess.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 am

I'd love to be able to go to a Primanti's near my house. Not sure how a Pittsburgh based restaurant would be received in the Philly area though.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 am

columbia wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:as a provincial yinzer, kenny the kangaroo prefers to keep yinzer treasures only for us. this sucks.

On the bright side, there's no little to no rush on the national scene to join the Pitt football bandwagon.

thats quite alright. kenny the kangaroo prefers having ample legroom at football games.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I'd love to be able to go to a Primanti's near my house. Not sure how a Pittsburgh based restaurant would be received in the Philly area though.

Also - I just can't picture a Primanti's with Flyers and Eagles stuff etc hanging on the walls.

It'll be interesting I guess to see how this all works.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:

Cookout?

Cookout is awesome, but I thought you were a vegetarian :)

Nom nom. Cookout. Forgot to get the eggnog milkshake this year. Rats.

Wasn't there a Primanti's down in Hilton Head a few years back? It would be natural to put one there and Myrtle Beach, and probably the D.C./VA metroplex. Lots of relocated Yinzers in those locations...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am

I think the real concern of a Primant's chain would be the quality of bread.
There's something about that yinzer-style eye-talian bread that is difficult to replicate.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am

columbia wrote:I think the real concern of a Primant's chain would be the quality of bread.
There's something about that yinzer-style eye-talian bread that is difficult to replicate.

You'd be surprised at the quality of frozen dough and bread products. You can almost run a bakery without a dough hook...just proof and bake. Although I do agree, it might be difficult to get that bread nationwide n'at.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 am

When I worked in NYC our parent office in LA flew all of us out for a Christmas party and brough an In n Out truck to cater. That was truely awesome.

I've lived in Charlotte for almost 5 years now and have not yet tried Cookout. Need to fix that ASAP.

Hilton Head has enough toursim from Western PA/Ohio to justify a Primanti's. Charlotte has enough transplants too seeing as how I see more Steelers stuff than panthers stuff on my daily commute.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:39 am

Mind you, I wouldn't complain about the chance to go there once a week for lunch. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:51 am

Everyone from Pittsburgh associates Primantis with the city, but will other people?

If somebody opened one in Houston or Nashville out of the blue in a strip mall or redeveloped lifestyle center, would it be immediately associated with Pittsburgh or would it succeed or fail on its own?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Yuengling and Primanti's both being available close to me really reduces my to-do list when I visit Pennsylvania.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Primanti's food was always fine to me, not necessarily worth the hype, but fine.

I liked the Oakland one because you could walk right in, sit at the bar and have a sandwich without much fuss. It was more convenience for me than anything.

I don't really see how expanding outside of Pittsburgh really changes anything. Besides, there's no guarantee that it will even work, in fact I'd say the odds are against.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:12 pm

To be known outside of the area as a Pittsburgh landmark, you certainly can market the chain with a Pittsburgh theme -- think gold and black color scheme, offer Iron City as the house beer, use a sports legend like Bradshaw (or someone tied to the city) on TV commercial spots, etc... On the flip-side, if you are moving into a rival Pittsburgh market, you face the chance that people will be haters because it is from a rival area and never visit regardless.

To survive outside of the area, you have to offer a reason for people to visit and hopefully return with good food, pricing, service, location, etc...

Not sure it matters if people associate it as having been started in Pittsburgh.

(Fat Burger's turkey burger is great.)
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Myriad on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:30 pm

DelPen wrote:When I worked in NYC our parent office in LA flew all of us out for a Christmas party and brough an In n Out truck to cater. That was truely awesome.

I've lived in Charlotte for almost 5 years now and have not yet tried Cookout. Need to fix that ASAP.

Hilton Head has enough toursim from Western PA/Ohio to justify a Primanti's. Charlotte has enough transplants too seeing as how I see more Steelers stuff than panthers stuff on my daily commute.

Whaaaaa? Cookout is PHENOMENAL for the price. Although I've heard the ones in Richmond are better than the ones in North Carolina.
Myriad
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Menu:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
nom
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer