Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Django Unchained pretty good I liked it cause I like QT movies BUT

Spoiler:
The whole mandingo angle was not needed. They said it in the movie Django's wife was only a $300 slave. All he had to do was ask about a slave that spoke german because he prefers to command N-words in his own language and that he was willing to overpay, say $1000, and I bet Leo's character would've done it without blinking or asking a question. Instead QT created this elaborate ruse that was totally not needed. That's the only real huge gripe I have with the movie. Take your over the top offer premise and use it to buy the wife, it's fail proof, she tries to run away a lot anyway she wasn't a good slave.

Spoiler:
I think they explained that pretty thoroughly. leo's character wouldn't have entertained his company if they weren't coming to look at the Mandingo slaves. They couldn't just be like, we want to buy one of your nameless slaves for a higher price. Leo would have just told him "f'off, don't bother me"
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Savages. Went in with low expectations because the reviews were awful, but I quite liked it. Well that is up until the last 10 minutes or so. They couldn't have ended it on the plausible ending, but had to do the crappy tack on semi-happy ending. Ruined the movie for me.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Django Unchained pretty good I liked it cause I like QT movies BUT

Spoiler:
The whole mandingo angle was not needed. They said it in the movie Django's wife was only a $300 slave. All he had to do was ask about a slave that spoke german because he prefers to command N-words in his own language and that he was willing to overpay, say $1000, and I bet Leo's character would've done it without blinking or asking a question. Instead QT created this elaborate ruse that was totally not needed. That's the only real huge gripe I have with the movie. Take your over the top offer premise and use it to buy the wife, it's fail proof, she tries to run away a lot anyway she wasn't a good slave.

Spoiler:
I think they explained that pretty thoroughly. leo's character wouldn't have entertained his company if they weren't coming to look at the Mandingo slaves. They couldn't just be like, we want to buy one of your nameless slaves for a higher price. Leo would have just told him "f'off, don't bother me"

Spoiler:
I'm saying if he was the business man that they made him out to be and brought it up through messengers that there was a traveling German that required a certain skill out of a slave (one that spoke German) and was willing to overpay to the tune of three times the amount a slave was worth then Leo's character would've taken the easy 200% return on his investment without blinking. That was proved when he got the slave out of the tree and was saying he expected the 5 fights out of a slave he paid $500 for and speaking about a return on his investment. For Django's wife who was worth $300, was not a field or house N-word, and was a runaway threat that's an easy sell and profit for Leo's character... I just didn't like the mandingo angle as a method for getting Django's wife, a lot of smoke and mirrors for something simple that got a lot of people killed.

I still really liked the movie but the logical side of me was not understanding the absurdity of the elaborate ruse without even attempting a safer method that most likely would have worked.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Spoiler:
I get what your saying and remember thinking the same thing, especially when Leo was all excited about entertaining him with the German speaking slave girl. I think the idea is just that Leo never would have accepted their visit if they weren't in the Mandingo business. Basically they needed the Mandingo angle to get their foot in the door.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

I liked the movie a lot more than i thought I would. Dicaprio, Waltz and Samuel Jackson were all amazing in their roles.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit. I saw it in 2D, regular frame rate.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit. I saw it in 2D, regular frame rate.

Watched in the same scenario and felt the same way

Also finally watched millers crossing...dont know how I never saw it prior to you guys bringing it up earlier in the thread... Byrne, Finney, Turturro...what a trio. Great flick.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 pm

The trailers before the Hobbit were amazingly bad. Witches, apocalypse on earth several different ways... the best one was probably the one about the drilling, and it's not something I'd ever watch in the theaters... MAYBE if I was bored and it was on tv.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 am

Looper. Awesome, totally awesome. Love a good time travel flick that makes you think
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am

I enjoyed Looper as well.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:17 am

regarding Looper, I may be completely wrong on this, but this is how I saw events taking place:

Spoiler:
about the middle of the movie when young joe kills old joe "closing his loop" is really the start of the film. Events leading up to that was from the perspective of young joe, he falls of the terrace outside his balcony and then it blacks out, which cuts into the "closing the loop" scene. From there, we see young joe turning into old joe and 30 yrs later in China he sees his wife die and realizes he doesn't want that and goes back to kill the rainmaker to alter this. We then essentially see from the perspective of old joe that he saves young joe after the fall from the terrace. basically the movie starts out in the middle, shows the beginning, then ends being stuck in a continuous loop. I think I got it out how I saw it...
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 am

the wicked child wrote:The trailers before the Hobbit were amazingly bad. Witches, apocalypse on earth several different ways... the best one was probably the one about the drilling, and it's not something I'd ever watch in the theaters... MAYBE if I was bored and it was on tv.

Yeah, the trailers that I saw before the Hobbit were crappy: New movie by the Twilight writer (something about aliens taking over human bodies, ugh), Tom Cruise apocalypse movie Oblivion, Will/Jaden Smith apocalypse derp movie After Earth, Lone Ranger derp, and one other one that I've quickly forgotten about...So yeah, nothing I would pay to see.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Watched The French Connection the other night....great film, great score, great acting, etc.

Spoiler:
Didn't really get the ending...what was the one gunshot at the end? At first I thought Doyle shot the guy and threw his body in the water or something (hence the police never finding him), but then I found out there was a sequel four years later where he chases Alain to France?

Spoiler:
It was supposed to be Doyle shooting at the French guy, shortly after mistakenly shooting the federal agent. I think the epilogue actually says the Frog got away or escaped or something, not that they never found his body.

If the story of that movie interests you, I recommend learning about the real case (which actually pre-dates the movie by about a decade). It seems that half the small speaking roles in the film are real cops.... even Eddie Egan and Sonny Grosso (the real cops Doyle and Russo were based on) have cameos, and the mechanic who helped them strip down the car was the actual NYPD mechanic who helped break the real case. I think in the bar scene, every single person in the there is a for-real cop.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I have not yet seen "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", but this article sets forth some interesting points as to why some of the harsh criticism may be unfounded, or at least ignorant of the larger story being woven.

Dislike Peter Jackson's The Hobbit? Then You Don't Know Tolkien

When I heard that they were making this into three films, it seemed pretty clear they would have to be plumbing a lot of the ancillary background material in the history of Middle-earth. Not sure how much of this stuff is in AUJ, but I'm willing to give PJ the benefit of the doubt here; as the article points out, the man is only 51 years old and has been making Tolkien movies for a third of his life.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 pm

My biggest concern was that we would see garbage like "Arwen is dying" that not only had nothing to do with the book, and made no sense on top of it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Great article about the making of The Blues Brothers

http://m.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/ ... al_twitter
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Great article about the making of The Blues Brothers

http://m.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/ ... al_twitter

Awesome
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 am

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby eddysnake on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am

columbia wrote:Stark Trek: Into Darkness trailer:
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/para ... odarkness/

looks pretty cool, I think i liked the other one he did. On a side note, I was reading that there was this guy who just got diagnosed with cancer and given a few weeks to live. He went to the hobbit hoping to see the extended preview for Star Trek, but it did not play. Apparently it made it's way around twitter (maybe) and JJ Abrahms caught wind of this and brought him and his wife in for a private screener of the extended trailer, only when it started, he showed them the entire film (slightly unfinished). Thought that was really cool
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Just got home from watching Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D. It wasn't bad, but it felt very low budget, like in a direct to video kind of way. Some great cameos though.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Finding Nemo Bluray 3D is easily the best 3D movie I've ever seen and it just might be the best looking bluray I've ever watched. It's astonishing how much depth there is to this movie from the 3D post conversion. Incredible to me that this movie was made over 10 years ago, it is simply jaw dropping gorgeous on bluray. Movie itself is wonderful, the whole top notch remaster just add so much more to it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:14 pm

the wicked child wrote:My biggest concern was that we would see garbage like "Arwen is dying" that not only had nothing to do with the book, and made no sense on top of it.

1) It was the only way they could give the character anything to do, after Liv Tyler proved utterly devoid of any skill in fight choreography. (Arwen was originally written for the screen version as this complete badass fighter.....)

2) Much of the material from those segments in the film are taken from "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" in Appendix A of LOTR.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:33 pm

it didn't make any sense... Why/How was her life tied to the fate of the ring? I mean EVERYONE's life was tied to the fate of the ring... what made her special? It was a lazy attempt to keep her in the story at best...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Watched The Grey earlier... It was okay... didn't really care for the ending though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 pm

the wicked child wrote:it didn't make any sense... Why/How was her life tied to the fate of the ring? I mean EVERYONE's life was tied to the fate of the ring... what made her special? It was a lazy attempt to keep her in the story at best...

Liv Tyler is hot and that's all you really need to know.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR