Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 pm

columbia wrote:re: disclaimer vote

So if a deal isn't reached by the 11th, that sets the NHLPA to immediately file their anti-trust lawsuit?

The season is cancelled and I'd assume they'd immediately file yeah.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:34 pm

The result will be lower average salaries.

Long term it will, but that's a several year process as guys come off current contracts. The immediate impact will be household names getting cut due to salary, with developing players filling the gaps. I don't even see how buying players out saves money, as their still gonna get paid, correct? Why not just pay the money through the cap system and leave the teams more or less intact?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:I can see a lot of teams having way more problems than we do if the cap ceiling is lowered.

Not as much as you think, the cap won't drop til next season, then figure the 2 buyouts, all thoes teams will get under the cap easily.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Great58 wrote:

Long term it will, but that's a several year process as guys come off current contracts. The immediate impact will be household names getting cut due to salary, with developing players filling the gaps. I don't even see how buying players out saves money, as their still gonna get paid, correct? Why not just pay the money through the cap system and leave the teams more or less intact?

The reason would be that you need to ice a team of 20 players.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Great58 wrote:

The reason would be that you need to ice a team of 20 players.

Ice? :pop:

Great58, the salary cap is a calculated value that considers the average amount teams are allowed per day on the contracted-player basis, not a cashflow per player. When you think cap, think in terms of debits and credits, not actual payments to players.

When teams buy out players, it limits the exposure of that player's salary against their daily cap rate. In this case, they want to be able to have access to compliance buyouts so they can 'undo' decisions based on the old cap number.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

both sides finally meeting together.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Players will be bought out and then signed at much lower salaries. It won't take long for the average player salary to drop... still the top tier players will get $7-9m, then there will be a solid 2nd tier in the 5-6m range. But it will be those guys pushing $4+ m who will see their salaries normalize back to the $2-4 m range.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

ulf wrote:Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.

Fingers and toes crossed
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm starting to get my hopes up and I know that's a terrible idea.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm trying to catch up on this past week. I read a few stories in the news yesterday that made me think there is still a real war going on and that it isn't going to end well. But if you guys feel there is a deal to be made, we'll see.

I, personally, don't give a damn anymore. If they play, I'll casually watch. If not, I have better things to do with my life.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:58 pm

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Told that while major pension issue is resolved still some point to be worked out to make system work.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm trying to catch up on this past week. I read a few stories in the news yesterday that made me think there is still a real war going on and that it isn't going to end well. But if you guys feel there is a deal to be made, we'll see.

I, personally, don't give a damn anymore. If they play, I'll casually watch. If not, I have better things to do with my life.

I'm thinking if there is a season and if they go deeep in the playoffs, you will be here with the rest of us, just as interested\rabid fan as ever. :)
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

So lets say a deal gets done today- when would opening night be?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

"If the NHL and NHLPA cannot come to a settlement and sign a new collective bargaining agreement by Thursday of next week, Bettman will announce the cancellation of the 2012-13 season."

"The governor said owners and league personnel believe Fehr is trying to blow up the process and is no longer interested in making a deal."

Good positive stuff from the NHL in the first article.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I will be here and rooting for the team, but it's hard to get excited about players I don't like. I saw NHL players in a new light during this lockout. For one, you had (I believe Upshall) tweet he'd like to put a bullet in Bettman's head. No player said anything in response. That is so over the line and so disgusting that if I were one of the players, I'd be as mouthy as Brett Hull. I'd rip him a new one in the press and publicly ask Bettman to suspend him for 25 games. I saw players being afraid to speak their minds, maybe because they're chicken or maybe because they're too dumb to say NO to Fehr when he told them to keep comments to a minimum. I saw some players jump at the throat of others who held more moderate views, in a rabid way that I didn't think was acceptable. The rest stayed silent. All this stuff was happening, even with negotiations, but all remained silent. Can you call the commisioner an idiot and other names in other sports or is it just hockey? I really don't like these NHL players much and, to be honest, I thought they had more integrity than they've shown. Not to mention, it seems they don't care about the game or the league or the health of their own franchises. All that matters is their paycheck. Why should I care as much as before. I don't.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm

pens#1 wrote:So lets say a deal gets done today- when would opening night be?

Jan 19th. Penguins @ Filthy
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Hearing it might be over.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Jeff O'Neill ‏@odognine2
BREAKING- #NHLLOCKOUT is over. Camp opens Jan 12. 50 game season. #lockout
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:53 pm

Kovy27 wrote:Jeff O'Neill ‏@odognine2
BREAKING- #NHLLOCKOUT is over. Camp opens Jan 12. 50 game season. #lockout

If true :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Have to be very careful with people reporting lockout over on tweeter, they all want to the first "break" the story so they get credit for it
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
RT @michaelgrange: Sources confirm that @odognine2 is just messing with people on twitter. He's good at it!

Dult!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins