NHL Center Ice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NHL Center Ice

Postby Senka on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm

So I've never had it, but always wanted it. But now that I've moved to Virginia, I have no choice but to get it. A few questions...

-Did they release prices yet?
-Is there a better, cheaper way to get it directly or through an independent employee/office?
-Does Comcast blackout games? I oonly see 2 HD channels ... I feel like that needs fixed.
-If the prices aren't yet released, any idea what it may be? should be? prediction? random number?

:) I'm happier today than yesterday with this morning news.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: NHL Center Ice

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 pm

I completely expect it to be full price. It's priced at full price even half way through a full season. That's just the price point for the rabid fan that purchases it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby heshootsandscores on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:47 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I completely expect it to be full price. It's priced at full price even half way through a full season. That's just the price point for the rabid fan that purchases it.

I'll have to pass on that:)
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Senka on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:53 pm

that sucks. I won't have a choice really... I wont get to see anything
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:56 pm

The NHL doesn't have control over the price of Center Ice. However, they do have control of Gamecenter. Expect that service to have a discount.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:56 pm

I am pretty sure it goes to half price right around playoff time. At least that is what I got it for through Comcast.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:01 pm

Local games and national games will be blacked out. I prefer gamecenter through Apple TV, roku or anything else since I can take a roku with me out of town or watch on my iPad. And that also charged monthly over the season instead of all at once.

Now if the NHL was smart they would figure out away to make it all free this season.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby heshootsandscores on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:07 pm

DelPen wrote:Local games and national games will be blacked out. I prefer gamecenter through Apple TV, roku or anything else since I can take a roku with me out of town or watch on my iPad. And that also charged monthly over the season instead of all at once.

Now if the NHL was smart they would figure out away to make it all free this season.

hmmm, I have a Roku...i'll have to check that out! Thanks.
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:23 pm

can you play GameCenter through a PS3?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I recently switched to Comcast (didn't have a choice) and discovered that they only offer two HD channels for Center Ice.
Depending on how the prices shake out, I'm thinking of getting the online one and just running an HDMI cable to my TV.
(I have NBCSP and NHLN, so wouldn't miss any games.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm

columbia wrote:I recently switched to Comcast (didn't have a choice) and discovered that they only offer two HD channels for Center Ice.
Depending on how the prices shake out, I'm thinking of getting the online one and just running an HDMI cable to my TV.

That was the case for me a few years ago when I had Verizon Fios as well...not sure if that's specific to Comcast or not any more...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:44 pm

Time Warner only had 2 HD channels. That was 2 years ago when I had it. Now it's DirecTV and all are in HD :)
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:49 pm

columbia wrote:I recently switched to Comcast (didn't have a choice) and discovered that they only offer two HD channels for Center Ice.

Hey, that sounds like a pretty good idea. Let me know how it works out for you.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:53 pm

If you are in the local area and don't have cable, but want/are planning on GameCenter for coverage:

http://www.hotspotshield.com

Will allow you to view in market games. Get the free version (has ads, but doesn't affect streaming).
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:04 pm

offsides wrote:

I was kind of hoping that someone here had tried it. :lol:

I'd be running out of an iMac and the signal would definitely transfer to the TV.
I just have no idea how large the image could/would be on the TV and still be at a good resolution....Part of it, is that I've never seen the game center website in the flesh, so not sure how that it is set up.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm

columbia wrote:
offsides wrote:

I was kind of hoping that someone here had tried it. :lol:

I'd be running out of an iMac and the signal would definitely transfer to the TV.
I just have no idea how large the image could/would be on the TV and still be at a good resolution....Part of it, is that I've never seen the game center website in the flesh, so not sure how that it is set up.

Go for it, someone has to be the guinea pig.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Some of this is going off of memory so don't hold me to it but...

If you care about quality (HD) or feed (Home/Away) then you should really only get Center Ice if you have Directv. Otherwise I'd recommend Gamecenter. It gives you the ability to watch the games any place that you have internet/streaming device (which can be things like a computer/laptop/ps3/apple/android/roku but a few are still missing such as xbox) without the need for a slingbox or similar. Like most of the others have mentioned you only get a few games in HD with the other cable/satellite providers and you only get the feed for one of the teams typically. Both Gamecenter/Center Ice have the same blackout restrictions so any national game (NBC/NBC Sports but not NHL network) or your local team is blacked out except playoffs (I believe?). The prices last year were around $160 for the full season, $100 for around halfway and $60 for playoffs only. I've never seen any sort of deals besides an early bird special which may have saved you $20.

Edit: added notes about gamecenter quality.

Last season gamecenter started out mediocre and got better by the end of the season. At the beginning I ended up trying a number of devices and would rate them as follows:
1) Computer
2) Apple TV
3) PS3

I also used an Android phone and an iPad and they were both fine (hard to compare it to full screen tv so I left them off).

The PS3 had problems with it being pixelated/having buffer issues (which was present in all of them some, but most noticeable on PS3), started late on most games and did a wierd thing where it added in a couple hours of black before the game so it made it hard to fast forward/rewind through.

By the end of the season I was happy with the Computer and Apple TV so I stuck with them. Also, of note is that internet isn't really an issue as we have something in the range of 30MB service (actual = 10-20MB)
Last edited by It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

^ agreed with the above, but only if you have a good, dependable internet connection. Nothing more frustrating than watching hockey with lag.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Elementary Penguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 pm

From DirecTV's Center Ice FAQ...

Will I be charged for my NHL CENTER ICE subscription this year if there is no season?
DIRECTV has plans in place to protect our NHL CENTER ICE customers if the entire season, or part of the season, is lost. You will not pay for games that are not played. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and clearly communicate with our customers about any changes to their NHL CENTER ICE subscription.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 pm

offsides wrote:

I do it every year, they have an app on the PS3 as well. I also have a VPN I use to get around local blackouts. It's great for watching games I miss.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

Elementary Penguin wrote:From DirecTV's Center Ice FAQ...

Will I be charged for my NHL CENTER ICE subscription this year if there is no season?
DIRECTV has plans in place to protect our NHL CENTER ICE customers if the entire season, or part of the season, is lost. You will not pay for games that are not played. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and clearly communicate with our customers about any changes to their NHL CENTER ICE subscription.

I would expect the cost to be prorated based on the actual schedule aired.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Senka on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:50 am

So it may be better to get this gamecenter option. I don't care if it Is on my computer, ill run hdmi. I just don't know how good center ice is. I want to see all the pens games. I don't mind a steep price, I just don't want to pick the wrong thing. I only get caps games down here now and I'm not thrilled.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 am

sounds like the gamecenter option is the best choice, I've been looking to cut cable for a while now.. never realized how easy the VPN option is, anyone else in the Pittsburgh area use that option? I'd love to hear more
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:29 am

I have had NHL Center Ice for 6 years, all with DirecTV. I love it, and have had no issues with it at all. For me it only blacks out Pens games that are nationally televised or on NHL Network. All games are in HD, and I usually get the home and away feeds, and I record them both on my DVR so I never miss anything. I haven't heard anything about how much it will cost this season yet.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:41 am

scals37 wrote:sounds like the gamecenter option is the best choice, I've been looking to cut cable for a while now.. never realized how easy the VPN option is, anyone else in the Pittsburgh area use that option? I'd love to hear more

I do, works fine. Hotspot Shield is what I use (for all my questionable online activities :pop: ) and it works great with GameCenter. No lag - there are ads, however if you maximize the view of the game you can't see them. Just deactivate it when the game is over. Best of all the free version works great.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins