Latest Stanley Cup Odds...Pens Favorites.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Latest Stanley Cup Odds...Pens Favorites.

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:06 pm

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Latest Stanley Cup Odds...Pens Favorites.

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Really?

I'll be honest, didn't see that coming.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Lol, the team that made costly errors in an early first round exit getting embarrassed by the Flyers...then lost Jordan Staal and added little to boost their offense while keeping the dreadful Paul Martin?

Yeah, cup champs right there this year. If they let us play Vokoun and Fleury at the same time.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Asterisk.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Vegas odds are strictly based on evening out the bets across the board. Can't read anything into it of course.

Interesting I guess but is what it is. kinda shocked to see us first round exit with no marked improvements as top odds I guess.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Vegas odds are strictly based on evening out the bets across the board. Can't read anything into it of course.

Interesting I guess but is what it is. kinda shocked to see us first round exit with no marked improvements as top odds I guess.

I guess the consensus is that Crosby is finally healthy and the Flyers were just the absolute worst matchup possible.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Lol, the team that made costly errors in an early first round exit getting embarrassed by the Flyers...then lost Jordan Staal and added little to boost their offense while keeping the dreadful Paul Martin?

Yeah, cup champs right there this year. If they let us play Vokoun and Fleury at the same time.

Okay Doc, I think you just solved the problem of a winger for Sid.

Kunitz-Crosby-Fleury.

Vokoun in goal. Fleury joins Vokoun in the crease on the PK.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Bioshock wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Vegas odds are strictly based on evening out the bets across the board. Can't read anything into it of course.

I guess the consensus is that Crosby is finally healthy and the Flyers were just the absolute worst matchup possible.

Could be but nobody bet yet. It's strictly a computer program predicted betting patterns to even out the bets so Vegas profits from the fees.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:02 pm

This is unsurprising. Who else? The Pens were 1 point out of first place in the NHL last year with Sid playing 22 games. Drew a horrible matchup. Lost. These odds indicate we have an 11% chance of winning the Stanley Cup. Is it that crazy any more?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Short season benefits the Penguins more than most teams. The offensive talent will quickly get into the groove before the goalies and defense. It will cut down on the amount of games Flower has to play which can only be seen as a positive. The only drawback will be the Defense's groove. With Michalek gone, and no real replacement has been determined we could see the same blue line mistakes we saw late. Or, the converse occurs with the defense having a stronger focus on just playing defense the Pens could easily be the most well rounded team in hockey.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm

the notion that vegas odds are based to try to even bets out across the board is false. vegas always takes a position, it almost never ever happens that the bets are even across the board on both sides. there are weeks in the nfl that regardless of what the number is over 70% of the bets taken are on one team - like the packers game yesterday. the odds and lines move not by the amount of money on one side orrrr the other in most cases, but because of sharp money.

the pens were favorites in the first odds released and those were avaialble as soon as the kings raised the cup and have been available even through the lockout you've always been able to bet on it. in many books after the rangers got nash their odds improved to equal of the pens.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:45 pm

If the pens played the upcoming season 8 times, do you think they would win the cup once? With Sid, Geno and Letang, I think at least one out of 8 times we would get hot and win it.

To put it another way, what team would you rank above the Pens? LA got hot at the right time, but struggled all season and barely got in. New Jersey lost ground in the off season. Phoenix doesn't have the pieces to go all the way. The Rangers added Nash without losing much, so maybe them, but they still don't have Malkin or Crosby. The Pens may not be the best team, but they have the highest ceiling with those guys on the roster.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 pm

knives of ice wrote:the notion that vegas odds are based to try to even bets out across the board is false. vegas always takes a position, it almost never ever happens that the bets are even across the board on both sides. there are weeks in the nfl that regardless of what the number is over 70% of the bets taken are on one team - like the packers game yesterday. the odds and lines move not by the amount of money on one side orrrr the other in most cases, but because of sharp money.

the pens were favorites in the first odds released and those were avaialble as soon as the kings raised the cup and have been available even through the lockout you've always been able to bet on it. in many books after the rangers got nash their odds improved to equal of the pens.

they set lines to make a profit, the lines move based on how the public is betting (this is to even out the betting more).
I am not going to get into a semantics argument but the lines are set based on how the public likes to bet combined with how the odds makers
have the best chance of making money.

The penguins being favorites means nothing more than the odds makers thinking that the public betting combined with the lines will make them money.

http://www.thespread.com/sports-betting ... OofZm-x8tE

The pointspread is not the handicapper’s predicted margin-of-victory, but it is in fact the handicapper’s prediction of what number will be required to split the wagering evenly on both teams. Understanding that little tid-bit is the first step towards taking advantage of the numbers.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 pm

the public has an idea what they're doing, hence "favorites"
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Its a popularity contest more than anything else When odds are this high, they are BEGGING people to put money on their favorite team. Pens are a lot of people's favorite.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:33 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:If the pens played the upcoming season 8 times, do you think they would win the cup once? With Sid, Geno and Letang, I think at least one out of 8 times we would get hot and win it.

To put it another way, what team would you rank above the Pens? LA got hot at the right time, but struggled all season and barely got in. New Jersey lost ground in the off season. Phoenix doesn't have the pieces to go all the way. The Rangers added Nash without losing much, so maybe them, but they still don't have Malkin or Crosby. The Pens may not be the best team, but they have the highest ceiling with those guys on the roster.

8:1 = 1 out of 9. But yeah, You worded it perfectly. :thumb:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby luv66 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I can see the Pens winning because it seems right that everyone else will ***** that it doesn't count due to the partial season.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 pm

I haven't read the new CBA, but does Bettman still have the power to screw all of the other teams in favor of the Pens? In that case we're even money.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Well, of course they are the favorites. They have the best player in the world and also that other guy, Crosby or something.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 pm

The NHL's image is hurting...this means Uncle Buttman is going to make sure Golden Crosby gets his second Cup. Do Work, Gary!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:41 pm

I'll be in Vegas in March. Maybe I'll place a little bet.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby itissteeltime on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm

I think the Rangers have the best team, but I like the Caps odds the most.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Not sayin I would ever put $ on this particular team but.... crappies 22:1

Also like Coyotes at 40:1
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Well, of course they are the favorites. They have the best player in the world and also that other guy, Crosby or something.

I thought they traded the best player in the world to Carolina.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

pens were favored last year we know how that worked out! :(
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins