Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am

canaan wrote:
We offer our apology. There is nothing we can say to explain or excuse what has happened over the past four months.

this is a little more aggressive than your standard PR talk. Is it PR? sure. is it a lot or humanistic than the norm? yessir.

Yeah, that's kind of my impression. Very blunt, no-excuses language, even more so than what you are used to seeing from PR outlets
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am

Gaucho wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Gaucho wrote:tbh, I don't see the "blunt honesty". Standard PR talk. Yeah, they apologized, but what the hell else are they supposed to do?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We'll see the same kind of statements probably all around.

Sure, that's sort of my point. I'm not rolling my eyes at all, but at the same time I'm also not so moved that they well up with tears or anything,

Agreed, teams are in a tough spot no matter what they say, but I'm not about to romanticize any of them for anything. More to my feelings is that Dejan is terrible and I can't tell if he likes stroking the pens for no reason or arguing with mindless twitter trolls more. That of course is between picking fights with random reporters from a city far away for no reason or asking awful questions at press conferences with the league, embarrassing himself and then writing a self serving article about it.

Either way, see you on the 19th.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

Agree with canaan's statement. That's not out of the Standard Book of Public Relations...

This doesn't deserve its own thread, but it belongs somewhere...reportedly, Tomas Holmstrom is retiring. I'm not sure how the LGP community feels, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, "I've always hated that [ahem] guy..." keeping it PG because I see RJ is perusing the forums now :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:08 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Dejan is terrible

see you on the 19th.

yes.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 am

Well, I didn't read the statements from the other 29 teams, so...
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Dejan is terrible

see you on the 19th.

yes.

He was one of my favorite when he was with the PG, but lately, I can't stand him. Seems to be more of a troll than an actual columnist.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am

I didn't always hate him, but I never liked him or understood why people liked him so much. But yes, he got worse. I have foe'd his material. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:13 am

mikey287 wrote:Tomas Holmstrom is retiring.

good *@#$ing riddance
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am

2013, the beginning of the end for uncalled interference in the NHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am

mikey287 wrote:This doesn't deserve its own thread, but it belongs somewhere...reportedly, Tomas Holmstrom is retiring. I'm not sure how the LGP community feels, but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, "I've always hated that [ahem] guy..." keeping it PG because I see RJ is perusing the forums now :thumb:

Yeah, I won't miss him either. Hack. :twisted:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

I thought Holmstrom retired at the end of the season
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:17 am

That actually is straight out of the modern PR handbook. Short and blunt, pull no punches, give social less to attack. I don't mind the statement at all, i kinda like their ploy, I just don't really care about it either. I only care that Dejan annoys me to know end.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am

Need more separate discussion threads, this mega thread is killing the PENS related section of the board.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:19 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:That actually is straight out of the modern PR handbook. Short and blunt, pull no punches, give social less to attack. I don't mind the statement at all, i kinda like their ploy, I just don't really care about it either. I only care that Dejan annoys me to know end.

Not living in Pittsburgh for the past x years, I haven't had a front row seat to watch this transformation but wow...

Only a few years ago Dejan was put up on a pedestal for his work covering the Pens. I remember much gnashing of teeth when he was switched to the Pirates beat.

What changed?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 am

I see Sutter is not at practice already starting off bad, trade em.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:That actually is straight out of the modern PR handbook. Short and blunt, pull no punches, give social less to attack. I don't mind the statement at all, i kinda like their ploy, I just don't really care about it either. I only care that Dejan annoys me to know end.

Not living in Pittsburgh for the past x years, I haven't had a front row seat to watch this transformation but wow...

Only a few years ago Dejan was put up on a pedestal for his work covering the Pens. I remember much gnashing of teeth when he was switched to the Pirates beat.

What changed?

I don't know. Twitter I guess. He is always fighting with random trolls, picks fights with other reporters over quotes, he goes crazy they respond professionally, and has some sick deep need to throw tantrums and make a deal out of small stories only to use lots of !!! And all caps and keep at it for weeks. He also makes up headlines to get you to read a pointless article - very sensationalized.

He asked an out of line poorly timed question to Gary when talks fell apart last time, about him overseeing multiple questions, it was embarrassing, then blasted him in an article the next day about how the NHL COO. Needs to take over.

Basically he has turned into a jack ass.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

What changed?

I don't think it's all of it, but the 2 things I can think of:

1) He is no longer a "reporter", he is a "columnist", so most of his work is now opinion based.

2) Social media.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

What changed?

I don't think it's all of it, but the 2 things I can think of:

1) He is no longer a "reporter", he is a "columnist", so most of his work is now opinion based.

2) Social media.

His employer changed. That's when reliable, sensible, even-keeled Dejan disappeared and dramatic, exaggerated, and biased Dejan arrived. It's funny, too, that he's recently written at least one defensive column about his writing/reporting style. He NEVER would have had to do that in the past. When he arrived at the Trib, he was given an agenda and is following it well. It's B.S. if you ask me, but I'm sure it (along with Rossi's sensationalism) helps sell papers.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Defence21 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I don't think it's all of it, but the 2 things I can think of:

2) Social media.

His employer changed. That's when reliable, sensible, even-keeled Dejan disappeared and dramatic, exaggerated, and biased Dejan arrived. It's funny, too, that he's recently written at least one defensive column about his writing/reporting style. He NEVER would have had to do that in the past. When he arrived at the Trib, he was given an agenda and is following it well. It's B.S. if you ask me, but I'm sure it (along with Rossi's sensationalism) helps sell papers.

Agree too that being employed at the Trib is another factor for the reasons you state.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Dejan is butt mud.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 pm

I like the phrasing of that statement from the pens. it's not patronizing. I mean...it's still sort of meaningless, but its better than the usual trite stuff.

I don't really need an apology from anyone. This process couldn't have played out much differently. There were big problems that needed fixed. No hard feelings on my end.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Defence21 wrote:His employer changed. That's when reliable, sensible, even-keeled Dejan disappeared and dramatic, exaggerated, and biased Dejan arrived. It's funny, too, that he's recently written at least one defensive column about his writing/reporting style. He NEVER would have had to do that in the past. When he arrived at the Trib, he was given an agenda and is following it well. It's B.S. if you ask me, but I'm sure it (along with Rossi's sensationalism) helps sell papers.

This is dead on.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

I enjoyed Dejan initially...then he got tired fast...a lot of complaining and negative articles non stop. Like others were saying...more of a troll type writer to get attention. Like when it's a slow newsday so Madden does nothing but bash the Steelers to get ratings and all of Pittsburgh calls in, haha. Dejan turned constantly negative, constantly complaining, I want to stop following him on twitter becaus all I do is roll my eyes every time I see him post anything or argue with people on twitter. I may soon...perhaps I am holding out hope he just got grumpy after the Pens lost early (after he said they could go all the way) - then it was on to the Pirates (which is always terrible) and then Steelers (which was depressing).
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:53 pm

At this point he's still better than Dunlap, no?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Dave Molinari is still good.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins