Lockout is over, lets hear some lines!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout is over, lets hear some lines!

Postby malksby8771 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 pm

The U wrote:This lockout lasted so long I forgot how little we did this offseason.

The team actually got worse on paper since that loss in RD1 to Philly.

Still incredibly soft on defense. Still very small at forward.

Right, but we have a lot of cap space and we should be very active at the deadline. There will be 0 excuse for standing pat this year as we did last year. I expect GMRS to make a few key moves to address those issues at top six forward and defense.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:24 pm

If there's no one available to trade for, there's no one available. You can't always make a trade, even if you have the money.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Letang - Martin
Orpik - Niskanen
Despres - Engelland
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey, baby, is it hot in here or is it just you?
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Is it hot in here because i like your face
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:
The U wrote:This lockout lasted so long I forgot how little we did this offseason.

Still incredibly soft on defense. Still very small at forward. Should make the playoffs as usual but it's hard to go in a run without a few big punishing forwards, and crease-clearing toughness on defense.

Niskanen, Martin, Despres, Lovejoy are 4 or your top 6 D. Remember opposing forwards around our crease and in our zone last year never having to worry about paying a price. That bothered me.

I agree. It's fun that hockey's back, but now we're back to the reality that we got definitively worse on paper over the offseason.

Are we doomed? No. But this team needs a totally new approach if they want to win this year.

Though I disagree about lovejoy. That dude isn't a regular this year

Yeah I meant to put Lovejoy in top 7 not top 6.

This current lineup and our recent draft history really drives home the point that Shero/Bylsma value "good first pass" over all other traits from their dmen. Hitting, toughness, solid defensive play, etc take a backseat to "good first pass".
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Is it hot in here because i like your face

I like your face so much, I want to steal it
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:45 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Still incredibly soft on defense. Still very small at forward. Should make the playoffs as usual but it's hard to go in a run without a few big punishing forwards, and crease-clearing toughness on defense.

Niskanen, Martin, Despres, Lovejoy are 4 or your top 6 D. Remember opposing forwards around our crease and in our zone last year never having to worry about paying a price. That bothered me.

I agree. It's fun that hockey's back, but now we're back to the reality that we got definitively worse on paper over the offseason.

Are we doomed? No. But this team needs a totally new approach if they want to win this year.

On the bright side, a 50 game season means MAF can't get worn down by playing 65-70 games in the regular season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

On the bright side, a 50 game season means MAF can't get worn down by playing 65-70 games in the regular season.

but games will be condensed, right? could be overwhelming. his playing time needs managed.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Good point, that excuse is gone.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:19 pm

Healthy scratches for WBS today are Bennett, Tangradi, and Bortuzzo, so they'll be the ones getting looks at training camp. Despres is playing, but was scratched the last couple games, so they probably just want him to get game action before camp.

For anyone wondering, Bennett has 17 points in his last 17 games and has been WBS's best forward this season, followed by Megna (whenever healthy).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks meecro for the update. Would be sweet to see Bennett stick up here. All these rookies have had a perfect opportunity with the lockout to get some more seasoning in the AHL and maybe be more ready to make the NHL roster than otherwise would have been the case.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:09 pm

I think this is the season we need to let some of these younger players try to stick up here. Bennett doesn't have much competition to beat out and should get a good look at a top 6 role. If Bortuzzo and Despres can adapt quickly, I think their size and strength would create a different dynamic on defense. Getting Lovejoy out of the rotation and putting more pressure on Niskanen to continue the progress he was making last season would be alright too.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Expectations for Jeffrey appear to be low. Let's hope he surprises us all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Bennett has a shot of making the team. If so, he is a right handed shot and will play on Sid's RW, with Dupuis moving back to the left.
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Crosby - Bennett

If Tangradi gets the nod, I'd like to see him used on Malkin's line to spread the talent out a bit, moving Kunitz back with Sid:
Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

In either case, I think Iginla would be a good trade deadline acquisition for Sid's right wing. He is a FA after the season, so his contract won't jeopardize our ability to sign Malkin or Letang long term like a guy like Ryan would, and we know he plays well with Sid. What that does with Bennett, Tangradi and Dupuis depends on what pieces need to be sent the other direction. Tangradi or Dupuis could be slid down the lineup, and Bennett could be sent back to WB/S till next season.

On defense, things are a little more murky. Everyone wants to talk about moving Martin, but I think Shero made a decision at the draft between Martin and Michalek, and Michalek left. We do, however, need some more size on the back end. Despres is a bigger guy, and before the lockout he seemed like the heir apparent, but his play in WB/S has been spotty. Bortuzzo is also a big guy playing well, and I believe if he was healthy last season, he would have gotten the call over Strait. The guy I really like right now though is Dumoulin. Despite this being his first year in WB/S, he is 21 years old and played three years at Boston College in a system similar to what the Pens play. He is also arguably the best defender in WB/S right now and is 6'4" 220lbs.

Letang - Martin
Orpik - Niskanen
Bortuzzo - Dumoulin
Engelland

Despres comes up when he shows he is ready.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby crush_lives_723 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Im with you on the Dumolin idea, i believe Despres is nursing a minor injury as well.
crush_lives_723
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

I wonder how realistic it is to expect Despres making the big team with 8 other waiver eligible defensemen on the roster.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 am

not very, in fact.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:30 am

Count on only Tangradi, Bennet and Bortuzzo as WBS guys that have a chance. They were healthy scratched yesterday so they will be in camp. Despres and Strait have been battling injuries and consistancy. I'd take all three on the team:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennet
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Tangradi-Vitale-Glass

Adams as the extra forward to bench Tagradi or Vitale in certain situations.

Letang-Orpik
Niskanen-Martin
Engellend-Bortuzzo

Lovejoy and a waiver or camp invite to help the PK. Bring in Marc Eaton at $1 million, he's better on the PK than anyone on the team now and still can play top 4 minutes if there's injuries. There are a lot of vets available though like Finger and white along with Eaton. Ryan Parent might be an interesting camp invite but we have 5 of him already in WBS with Despres, Strait, Sneep, Morrow and Samuelsson who could be just as good.

I do wonder if Harrington will be invited to camp?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 am

Gaucho wrote:I wonder how realistic it is to expect Despres making the big team with 8 other waiver eligible defensemen on the roster.

His play since coming back from injury has been rather subpar. Samuelsson is outplaying him right now. He hasn't earned a callup anyways so waivers aren't even an issue.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am

You guys are forgetting the useless "enforcer" Shero still has to acquire
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

While it's possible the Penguins go purely based on waiver eligibility and keep only guys who have to clear to go back to WBS, I get the sense Shero, Bylsma and team management are more concerned with winning than losing a mid-level defense prospect on waivers. If you listen to what is being said by the team, Despres has a legit chance to skate as the 6th defenseman. Bylsma was interviewed for the DVE morning show yesterday and said Despres will factor into the mix heavily.

IanMoran wrote:You guys are forgetting the useless "enforcer" Shero still has to acquire

You mean like the one they had last season who spent the entire year in WBS? The one who remains with the team and will return to WBS after camp? Yeah, they have him. His name is Steve McIntyre.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 am

Winning being a priority doesn't necessarily help Despres' case. IIRC, he was recently a healthy scratch 2 games in a row.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

netwolf wrote:Winning being a priority doesn't necessarily help Despres' case. IIRC, he was recently a healthy scratch 2 games in a row.

Not necessarily saying Despres equals winning, but that Despres is someone they have their eyes on him. My point is that the Penguins, I think, will keep the players who give them the best chance to win regardless of waiver status.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins