Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I enjoyed Dejan initially...then he got tired fast...a lot of complaining and negative articles non stop. Like others were saying...more of a troll type writer to get attention. Like when it's a slow newsday so Madden does nothing but bash the Steelers to get ratings and all of Pittsburgh calls in, haha. Dejan turned constantly negative, constantly complaining, I want to stop following him on twitter becaus all I do is roll my eyes every time I see him post anything or argue with people on twitter. I may soon...perhaps I am holding out hope he just got grumpy after the Pens lost early (after he said they could go all the way) - then it was on to the Pirates (which is always terrible) and then Steelers (which was depressing).

I don't mind "trolls" like Madden and people like that. I actually think its fun sometimes. But I know listening to him, that is his thing. So it doesn't bother me.

With Dejan, he went from a great level headed type of guy that just went off the deep end IMO. I always looked to him for more of a level headed approach before. So his drastic change turned me off.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Is NORAD tracking Malkin's plane?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm

newarenanow wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:I enjoyed Dejan initially...then he got tired fast...a lot of complaining and negative articles non stop. Like others were saying...more of a troll type writer to get attention. Like when it's a slow newsday so Madden does nothing but bash the Steelers to get ratings and all of Pittsburgh calls in, haha. Dejan turned constantly negative, constantly complaining, I want to stop following him on twitter becaus all I do is roll my eyes every time I see him post anything or argue with people on twitter. I may soon...perhaps I am holding out hope he just got grumpy after the Pens lost early (after he said they could go all the way) - then it was on to the Pirates (which is always terrible) and then Steelers (which was depressing).

I don't mind "trolls" like Madden and people like that. I actually think its fun sometimes. But I know listening to him, that is his thing. So it doesn't bother me.

With Dejan, he went from a great level headed type of guy that just went off the deep end IMO. I always looked to him for more of a level headed approach before. So his drastic change turned me off.

I don't know how it doesn't bother you when he is just baiting all of the yinzers and them arguing is the whole show! I pretty much turn off Madden unless he is talking hockey.

But more back to the point...yes, Dejan went off the deep end and it was a shame.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bylsma, on hearing from players initially: “There were a lot of awkward, first-date kind of texts.”
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic
Bylsma, on hearing from players initially: “There were a lot of awkward, first-date kind of texts.”

:shock:

:lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic

:shock:

:lol:

This should be a new thread, time to rebuild the rest of the forum. There are still threads from the begining of December hanging out on the first page.

Time to get to work postwhoring :fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:05 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I don't know how it doesn't bother you when he is just baiting all of the yinzers and them arguing is the whole show! I pretty much turn off Madden unless he is talking hockey.

But more back to the point...yes, Dejan went off the deep end and it was a shame.

To me, if you know he is baiting, it is actually kind of funny seeing people falling for it. It is part of his show. It's entertaining. And he does it well and in a very entertaining way IMO. I listen to Madden for more of the entertainment value.

Philiponi tries the same thing, but he sucks at it and isn't funny. He is annoying. I hate his voice too.

If I want to listen to more serious sports talk, I listen to Savran or Bendel.

I just think you need to know your host/the audience they are seeking.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm

newarenanow wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:I don't know how it doesn't bother you when he is just baiting all of the yinzers and them arguing is the whole show! I pretty much turn off Madden unless he is talking hockey.

To me, if you know he is baiting, it is actually kind of funny seeing people falling for it. It is part of his show. It's entertaining. And he does it well and in a very entertaining way IMO. I listen to Madden for more of the entertainment value.

I never used to like Madden, but I like him a lot more after listening to other sports talkers. He KNOWS he's an arrogant jagoff and advertises it. The other sports people I've heard are also arrogant jagoffs (that don't go around advertising it), but you can hear a note of arrogance in their voice because they talk about sports on the radio all day.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:28 pm

I've only listened to Madden in passing; an interview here and there. But he's a performer in a ratings driven industry. He is a sports shock jock, where controversy - manufactured and otherwise - builds ratings and listeners. This isn't rocket science. If he wasn't a troll or controversial, no one would listen. It would like be John Tesh sports show, which wouldn't work for the audience that likes sports news.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Paul Bissonnette ‏@BizNasty2point0
It sucked losing half an NHL season, but it is pretty cool being in the hunt for the Hart, Art Ross, and Rocket Richard trophy in January.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

lol Biz definitely has the personality to be a random color commentator or analyst one day. I already like him more than the hacks at NBC and its been nearly 8 months since I last dealt with them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm

So capgeek is tweeting that salary/caphit can be traded now..up to 50% of a contract , 3 players at a time, for a total of 15% of the upper cap limit per team

CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Up to 50% of SPC can be retained in trade. An SPC can be traded twice with salary/cap hit retained. #NHL
Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

40m CapGeek CapGeek ‏@capgeek

Teams can retain salary/cap hit for up to three SPCs, to a maximum aggregate cap hit of 15 per cent of upper limit. #NHL
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Good thing the NHL series GM Mode is so silly and stupid because there is no way I will ever truly understand any of this. Mostly cause I don't care enough.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:28 pm

7.5% bonus cushion exists but cannot help teams get to Lower Limit...I've heard that re-entry waivers are out too...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Thats a big deal having the ability to trade/retain salary like that. It opens up alot of possibilities/flexibilities I would think
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Thats a big deal having the ability to trade/retain salary like that. It opens up alot of possibilities/flexibilities I would think

Absolutely.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Thats a big deal having the ability to trade/retain salary like that. It opens up alot of possibilities/flexibilities I would think

It, unfortunately, now makes trade deadline speculation even crazier than it was. At least before you could say forget about it because of salary cap. The poo slingers are very happy.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:32 pm

So you can only trade the salary/cap room if you have it (is what I'm getting from this)?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:32 pm

is that just for this year or the life of the cba?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

columbia wrote:is that just for this year or the life of the cba?

Life.

@above: Not quite sure I understand the question. I haven't read the wording (which will be very carefully done...very carefully) but I imagine this will be strictly of a salary retention standpoint. Unsure as to how that will figure into cap calculation at this time.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Capgeek has a tweet that says 'Under the new CBA' but it doesnt explicitly say.. but I would assume for the life of it.

I cant believe this is just coming out now, this is huge stuff if its for the next 8-10 years..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Life.

@above: Not quite sure I understand the question. I haven't read the wording (which will be very carefully done...very carefully) but I imagine this will be strictly of a salary retention standpoint. Unsure as to how that will figure into cap calculation at this time.

I'm sick and foggy...so yes poorly phrased.
Just trying to establish if it would be a one time thing (like the buyouts) or for the cba.
it sounds like the latter.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

I didn't even mean it was your question I didn't quite get, columbia. I got your question just fine and answered it as such haha...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I know... NPR but it's lockout-related and I don't want to go start a useless thread in NPR.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Henrik Lundqvist is the only active goalie that I am a major fan of aside from Fleury.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins