Trouble in Steubenville...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trouble in Steubenville...

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 pm

From what I heard he hasnt shown up to classes or on campus since early december.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:From what I heard he hasnt shown up to classes or on campus since early december.

Finals started the Thursday of the first week in December and they start back up Monday. He is listed as registered for Spring classes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:09 am

MRandall25 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:From what I heard he hasnt shown up to classes or on campus since early december.

Finals started the Thursday of the first week in December and they start back up Monday. He is listed as registered for Spring classes.

ok. i took it with a grain of salt because I know Ohio does their semesters different than us here.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BadHands71 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I wonder if this is more "mob" issues than football boosters.

Want to be clear I have no idea but I have a hard time accepting that everyone involved besides the coach (including the sheriff and media) would be this backwards just to protect a couple of football players unless they feared something. It's just way way too absurd at this point.

I kind of disagree. Stubenville is one of those towns that lives and dies by football. It happens at colleges, players screw up and the coverup attempts go right up the ladder. I don't doubt that there is a the potential for a mob role in this, but I definitely don't think it'd absurd that the coaches and law enforcement are trying to sweep this under the rug. I grew up in a town where football played a relatively minor part, until the year they went on a run to the state championship. Then football fever took over. I can see a town being blinded when football consistently plays a huge role.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

Can the mob make enough money on high school football to warrant their getting involved with a coverup?

I'm not organized crime expert, but I can't see how they could make enough money on betting on football games. Unless it's a small time crew, but then they wouldn't have the juice to coverup a rape investigation.

I don't know. But the national news outlets are finally getting on board. I saw a blurb in The Week (which is an excellent magazine, like a printed version of Google News), and on NPR.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BadHands71 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is a laughable website posted by the Steubenville "cover up squad".

http://steubenvillefacts.squarespace.com/

It's absolutely ridiculous.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Can the mob make enough money on high school football to warrant their getting involved with a coverup?

I'm not organized crime expert, but I can't see how they could make enough money on betting on football games. Unless it's a small time crew, but then they wouldn't have the juice to coverup a rape investigation.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6405103

ESPN did an OTL on gambling at YOUTH football games. Thousands of $$$ changing hands. I don't think it's that farfetched to think the mob could get involved a la Vegas bookies.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:27 pm

BadHands71 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I wonder if this is more "mob" issues than football boosters.

Want to be clear I have no idea but I have a hard time accepting that everyone involved besides the coach (including the sheriff and media) would be this backwards just to protect a couple of football players unless they feared something. It's just way way too absurd at this point.

I kind of disagree. Stubenville is one of those towns that lives and dies by football. It happens at colleges, players screw up and the coverup attempts go right up the ladder. I don't doubt that there is a the potential for a mob role in this, but I definitely don't think it'd absurd that the coaches and law enforcement are trying to sweep this under the rug. I grew up in a town where football played a relatively minor part, until the year they went on a run to the state championship. Then football fever took over. I can see a town being blinded when football consistently plays a huge role.

Im not saying I am right, I just cant believe a cover up involving so many individuals at their levels happens because of high school football. It just doesnt register in my brain, risking your life, career, family and really your freedom so a couple of kids dont get busted for rape.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BadHands71 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:

Im not saying I am right, I just cant believe a cover up involving so many individuals at their levels happens because of high school football. It just doesnt register in my brain, risking your life, career, family and really your freedom so a couple of kids dont get busted for rape.

However, if people are making significant money due to illegal gambling (and if those same individuals are involved or have knowledge of illegal drug trading), it's pretty reasonable to believe that they won't want the authorities poking around for any reason. Like another poster said, the amount of money that changes hands with gambling on YOUTH football is staggering in some programs. Additionally, with concessions, ticket sales, merchandise sales and raffles like the 50/50, the amount of legitimate money that the football program brings into a community is pretty hefty. Having that kind of money circulating in a community is a pretty good reason to want to protect football, especially for those that benefit from it significantly (parents of players, coaches, etc.).
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 pm

BadHands71 wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:

However, if people are making significant money due to illegal gambling (and if those same individuals are involved or have knowledge of illegal drug trading), it's pretty reasonable to believe that they won't want the authorities poking around for any reason. Like another poster said, the amount of money that changes hands with gambling on YOUTH football is staggering in some programs. Additionally, with concessions, ticket sales, merchandise sales and raffles like the 50/50, the amount of legitimate money that the football program brings into a community is pretty hefty. Having that kind of money circulating in a community is a pretty good reason to want to protect football, especially for those that benefit from it significantly (parents of players, coaches, etc.).

Well sure, but that would go back to less focus on a cover for "football" and more on money and mob type reasons I guess. I should be clear I just cant register this type over cover up simply because people just lover their high school football. Im just not sure a couple of kids getting in major major trouble would kill their tickets or concessions ets.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:50 pm

BADS, I'm totally with you here. Big fish/small pond stuff, maybe, and there's a lot of scum in this small pond.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:28 pm

This is the beauty of the power of the internet though, and why in my opinion, it's not going to last forever as is. While the whole Anonymous thing is none other than a moniker used by hacktivists in local areas to attract other computer savvy individuals interested in joining the cause of the original, it is still a powerful "group."

The best part is, no mob, mafia, or organized syndicate outside of a cyber terrorist group can really pinpoint who is uncovering the private data. It operates as one, but with proxy's, VPN's and the like there really is no way to counter-dox the individual(s) who are "hacking."

I hate all things football, and this is a big reason why. I hope they all get what they deserve, but at this point you need to bring in the FBI or a federal-level branch as corruption there seems to be rampant throughout all secs of authority.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

This was front page on I think it was the trib today.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

FWIW, that Michael Nio-whatever was expelled from OSU.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

i wonder what the punishment would've been if he could run a 4.3 and huck a pigskin.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:FWIW, that Michael Nio-whatever was expelled from OSU.

:thumb:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm

canaan wrote:i wonder what the punishment would've been if he could run a 4.3 and huck a pigskin.

Early entry to the NFL.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

canaan wrote:i wonder what the punishment would've been if he could run a 4.3 and huck a pigskin.

Probably playing for a national championship. Oh wait, that's the Notre Dame football program.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

mac5155 wrote:

Early entry to the NFL.

Bear hugs from Roger Goodell.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 am

flipping through channels last night and noticed rosanne barr was on nancy grace talking about Stuebenville, she was in the middle of talking with the sheriff and it got cut off and went to commercial, i soon lost interest, not sure what else happened.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:55 pm

"flipping through channels"...riiiiiiiight
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:"flipping through channels"...riiiiiiiight

:lol:
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 am

newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:19 am

newarenanow wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/police-in-steubenville-ohio-rape-case-threatened-online-669914/

Police getting threatened.

There is never a time where this behavior is acceptable; however if the sheriff would just do his job, they would back off.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Yep. People want to take matters in their own hands when they feel the police haven't done their job.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR