A few FA still out there...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm

We don't play Philly every game.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

MRandall25 wrote:We don't play Philly every game.


Man, if we just don't play Philly in the playoffs we would hoist the cup every season. Those darn bad match ups.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby meow on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:19 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:We don't play Philly every game.


Man, if we just don't play Philly in the playoffs we would hoist the cup every season. Those darn bad match ups.

I don't think any PK unit was going to stop that powerplay. And Fleury playing to a sieve didn't help.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,941
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

penalty killing forwards are a dime a dozen, but michalek was a top tier penalty killer and will be difficult to replace.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,109
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:45 pm

helmespc wrote:
mikey287 wrote:He's a winger, but I'm not sure if he's anywhere near 100%. And at this point in his career, I'm not sure that he wants to or can return to the rigors of an NHL season...


They should toss him a lowball, 1 year offer and see what happens, especially since its a short season.


I don't agree with that and this point in his career. I'd be ok with a camp tryout, but we won't see it and I think he's done with the NHL all together...we could take a better chance than on a 35 year old, oft-injured, very soft winger...

Small camps this year appear to be the sentiment from around the league...25, 27, 28 players that they really think can make it...not many junior-aged players or other long shot invites...short, simple, let's get moving with what we built type of mentality in Pittsburgh and throughout the league...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,486
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:52 am

Michalek is Phoenix's Larry Foote....or something.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,004
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:We don't play Philly every game.


Man, if we just don't play Philly in the playoffs we would hoist the cup every season. Those darn bad match ups.


It was one bad matchup. Remember before that series, we beat them in the last two series. Plus the two other series where we bowed out early wasn't againist Philly.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 am

helmespc wrote:
mikey287 wrote:He's a winger, but I'm not sure if he's anywhere near 100%. And at this point in his career, I'm not sure that he wants to or can return to the rigors of an NHL season...


They should toss him a lowball, 1 year offer and see what happens, especially since its a short season.


Kristian Huselius has retired.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,486
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby JS© on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 am

Cr@zy871 wrote:
netwolf wrote:A tryout is as far as I'm willing to go w/ Huselius. Pens are 1 contract below the 50-man limit, so I'd be hesitant to give it to someone with the amount of question marks hovering over him Huselius has.


I might be wrong, but I believe that I had read that Huselius had signed in Europe for the year... No "lockout conditional" contract, a 1 year contract... Again, not positive, but I feel like I read that somewhere a few months back...


Huselius is now retired

Kristian Huselius forced to quit
AIK's Star: "I can barely lift the left leg"

Deserving Kristian Huselius, with nine NHL seasons on his CV, was seen as a savior when he signed for AIK on 17 December.
He made an instant success - but it was not long before his old hip injury made itself felt.
"Dad" was forced to step down in loss match against Skelleftea January 3 - and today he reveals the Sportbladet it's over .
For good.
- I plugged in my voltaren, but can barely lift the left leg. It is no longer, sadly, he says.
- Sad that it has come to this. I have to take voltaren the whole time.

Huselius managed to produce three points (2 +1) in three matches in AIK before he is forced to thank individually.


http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/h ... 6036478.ab
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,239
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: training with lawnmowers and raging elephants.

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am

Yeah I plugged in my voltaren last night and it was game over for me too.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,166
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby meow on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Mike Knuble is still out there. Think about it.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,941
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

mac5155 wrote:Yeah I plugged in my voltaren last night and it was game over for me too.

Image
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,765
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:12 pm

meow wrote:Mike Knuble is still out there. Think about it.


Knuble would be a downgrade to Tangradi
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:Mike Knuble is still out there. Think about it.


Knuble would be a downgrade to Tangradi


Yup.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,486
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby meow on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:Mike Knuble is still out there. Think about it.


Knuble would be a downgrade to Tangradi


Yup.

But the leadership, guys. Leadership
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,941
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: I hate cats, Jacques! I hate 'em!

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm

meow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:As it stands our PK scares the bejesus out of me.

Haven't heard this in awhile. Losing Staal and Michalek hurts, but I'm not too worried about it.


Sutter is a quality PK guy; he had 3 SHG last year on a team that was pretty poor on the PK. Guess it doesn't say much that their PK was not good, but I don't think he will be a significant drop off from Staal. Just my opinion, but I don't have a ton of confidence in Craig Adams centering the first PK these days.

I also expect to see some experimentation with 71 or 87 on the second unit.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,943
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:18 pm

buy out Martin and give an offer sheet to Benn. It's a good plan.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,905
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Sutter, Dupuis, Cooke are all good PKers. Can Glass PK? Staal's presence isn't going to be missed on the PK, Sutter will fill that spot adequately. The downgrade will be noticed even strength.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,276
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, Glass can PK...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,486
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 pm

count2infinity wrote:buy out Martin and give an offer sheet to Benn. It's a good plan.

Its a waste of time. The Stars would match whatever you offered Benn.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,423
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm

meow wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:Mike Knuble is still out there. Think about it.


Knuble would be a downgrade to Tangradi


Yup.

But the leadership, guys. Leadership

leadership doesn't score goals... Tangradi... um... also doesn't score goals?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,085
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

pens_CT wrote:
count2infinity wrote:buy out Martin and give an offer sheet to Benn. It's a good plan.

Its a waste of time. The Stars would match whatever you offered Benn.


Yup, you're just doing them a favor. He's their franchise player.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,486
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
meow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:As it stands our PK scares the bejesus out of me.

Haven't heard this in awhile. Losing Staal and Michalek hurts, but I'm not too worried about it.


Sutter is a quality PK guy; he had 3 SHG last year on a team that was pretty poor on the PK. Guess it doesn't say much that their PK was not good, but I don't think he will be a significant drop off from Staal. Just my opinion, but I don't have a ton of confidence in Craig Adams centering the first PK these days.

I also expect to see some experimentation with 71 or 87 on the second unit.


I'm fine with 87 making some timely appearances on the PK. He wins enough puck battles that he's more than competant. I think it's a waste of ice time with 71. Not that he couldn't learn it, but why not spend those 3 mins on even strength? Plus, unless there's been a rule change, the player called for the penalty can't be on the PK anyway.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,627
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Plus, unless there's been a rule change, the player called for the penalty can't be on the PK anyway.


Even though this is probably serious, its definitely true and definitely Lulz.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,276
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:14 pm

mikey287 wrote:
pens_CT wrote:
count2infinity wrote:buy out Martin and give an offer sheet to Benn. It's a good plan.

Its a waste of time. The Stars would match whatever you offered Benn.


Yup, you're just doing them a favor. He's their franchise player.


good...drive up the price for him. make the stars spend their money.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,905
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurghThing, llipgh2, mikey287, mjmmessina, Nuge, scpensfan, winger and 113 guests

e-mail