Lockout is over, lets hear some lines!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout is over, lets hear some lines!

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Bylsma said today he plans on this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
???-Malkin-Neal

Several options within organization. I would not be susprised if Cooke gets a chance, he has the skill and defenseive play to be fine in that position. Glass, Tangradi or Jeffrey might be a better fit on the 3rd with Sutter and Kennedy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm

DelPen wrote:Bylsma said today he plans on this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
???-Malkin-Neal

Several options within organization. I would not be susprised if Cooke gets a chance, he has the skill and defenseive play to be fine in that position. Glass, Tangradi or Jeffrey might be a better fit on the 3rd with Sutter and Kennedy.

I agree. I think it will end up being something like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi/Jeffrey-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Give a shot to Tangradi and Jeffrey to win the 2nd line spot, but if they aren't performing, sliding Cooke up to Malkin's line would be the best option. He has the ability to score as well as create some space like Kunitz.

On defense, I don't think we are going to see Dumoulin, Morrow, etc make the team this year due to the shortened season. Depres will be odd man out simply because of his eligibility. Will come down to Bortuzzo, Strait, and Reese.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 pm

No guarantee that Kennedy works on the 3rd line the way he used to with Staal. I could see a more well-rounded player working out better there. Jeffrey comes to mind.

Then again, Kennedy and Sutter might click and provide some needed scoring depth. And Jeffrey might win the 2nd line LW spot...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

pcm wrote:No guarantee that Kennedy works on the 3rd line the way he used to with Staal. I could see a more well-rounded player working out better there. Jeffrey comes to mind.

kennedy worked on the 3rd line with connor and letestu. i think he'll be fine.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:19 pm

I don't even remember who is on the team...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

It's probably going to be a revolving door on Malkin's line. Bylsma may take the stance of deciding who's on his wing depending on the game situation...which isn't necessarily a bad idea. I'm really pulling for Jeffrey though. I think he got a raw deal last year.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Geno ought to just bring Mozyakin along. That would of course be pure sports terrorism, but whatever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 am

shmenguin wrote:
pcm wrote:No guarantee that Kennedy works on the 3rd line the way he used to with Staal. I could see a more well-rounded player working out better there. Jeffrey comes to mind.

kennedy worked on the 3rd line with connor and letestu. i think he'll be fine.

Ugh, I had forgotten all about the smurf line. Tons of energy, laughable size.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:07 am

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
???-Malkin-Neal

After hearing some of the things coming from Bylsma, I'm coming around to this idea, at least to start. What do you think about this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Malkin - Neal
Tangradi - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey
Adams

Sutter, Bylsma has already said, will get inserted into the Malkin line at times to take RH faceoffs. We've seen that fish before with Staal playing alongside Malkin. If that happens, DJ can slide up to play center on the 3rd line while Sutter is up with Malkin, and Tangradi can be used on the PP. This lineup also gives you plenty of PK guys with Dupuis, Cooke, Sutter, Glass and DJ. Adams is redundant with that lineup.

That at least gets you out of the gate with veterans in key spots, and if one of DJ or Tangradi earns that LW spot with their play, Cooke can always slide back down. If no one steps up, Bennett is always an option later in the season.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 am

I would switch Glass and Tangradi. I believe Glass played 3rd line minutes in Winipeg last season and I don't think Tangradi has the speed to be effective on a shutdown line. Also, I think he and Vitale were linemates in WBS. Tangradi can get the odd shift on Malkin's line and rotate on the 2nd PP unit with Kunitz, Sutter and Kennedy. I would like to see what Cooke could do on Malkin's line.

DesertPenguin wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
???-Malkin-Neal

After hearing some of the things coming from Bylsma, I'm coming around to this idea, at least to start. What do you think about this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Malkin - Neal
Tangradi - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Jeffrey
Adams

Sutter, Bylsma has already said, will get inserted into the Malkin line at times to take RH faceoffs. We've seen that fish before with Staal playing alongside Malkin. If that happens, DJ can slide up to play center on the 3rd line while Sutter is up with Malkin, and Tangradi can be used on the PP. This lineup also gives you plenty of PK guys with Dupuis, Cooke, Sutter, Glass and DJ. Adams is redundant with that lineup.

That at least gets you out of the gate with veterans in key spots, and if one of DJ or Tangradi earns that LW spot with their play, Cooke can always slide back down. If no one steps up, Bennett is always an option later in the season.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 am

Gaucho wrote:Geno ought to just bring Mozyakin along. That would of course be pure sports terrorism, but whatever.

I came into this thread hoping someone would mention that! Haha - Mozyakin, Malkin, Neal all on one line or move Neal to Crosby's line?

Goodness they were tearing up the KHL. Not that it is actually probable, but anyone know Mozyakin's story and why he never came to the NHL? Is he another Morozov? Wikipedia says:

Sergei Mozyakin, a highly-skilled winger, was drafted in the 9th round of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, 263rd overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Maybe CBJ explains it.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 am

Mozyakin is the KHL al-time leading scorer, if I'm not mistaken, and probably gets a pretty decent salary over there. No idea what kept him from playing in NA, but I doubt he would be interested at this point.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 am

Say hello to Tanner Glass, possible Top-6 forward!

:face:

Edit: Removed the link, didn't realize it was a Rossi article at first. derp.
Last edited by meecrofilm on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 am

IIRC, Tangradi hasnt scored a goal in the AHL since Dec 7th. Id much rather see them give Cooke, Jeffrey, TK, and Bennett a shot on Malkin's line over ET. He has shown me nothing in his time as a Penguin that makes me think he deserves a shot at a top 6 role.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Glass played 4th line minutes last year. The bump in his TOI is for PK time.

It's weird when Blysma comes out and says Glass might see time there (though "when we're winning" he says) but doesn't mention Tangradi. I suppose he's already starting the coaching / motivational tactics. No one's mentioned it so far, but this is a crucial year for Blysma. His job is on the line with this season, you have to think.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Tanner Glass wearing #10! per a tweet-tweet. ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm

It bothers me for some reason whenever I see a Penguin not named Ron Francis wear that number.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

I thought Glass played on the third line with Slater and Thorburn.

pcm wrote:Glass played 4th line minutes last year. The bump in his TOI is for PK time.

It's weird when Blysma comes out and says Glass might see time there (though "when we're winning" he says) but doesn't mention Tangradi. I suppose he's already starting the coaching / motivational tactics. No one's mentioned it so far, but this is a crucial year for Blysma. His job is on the line with this season, you have to think.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:10 pm

What puts Bylsma's job on the line this year?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 pm

After 4 seasons in a row of disappointment, most NHL coaches would not have the job for year 5. This being season 4, I'd say his job is on the line.

But let's hope it doesn't come to that.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 pm

The quotes in the press from team mgt seem to be hinting at something to breakup the logjam of #5 -6 D man we have accumulated during training camp. So are they thinking about somehow acquiring a top 6 forward or trading for some shutdown D pairings.

If I had a vote I would be for the shut down D type and let Crosby and Malkin take care of the top two lines as both have shown they can elevate other players games.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 pm

ffemtreed wrote:The quotes in the press from team mgt seem to be hinting at something to breakup the logjam of #5 -6 D man we have accumulated during training camp. So are they thinking about somehow acquiring a top 6 forward or trading for some shutdown D pairings.

If I had a vote I would be for the shut down D type and let Crosby and Malkin take care of the top two lines as both have shown they can elevate other players games.

Link?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Hasn't Bennet played better than Tangradi in WBS this season by most accounts?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:23 pm

columbia wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:The quotes in the press from team mgt seem to be hinting at something to breakup the logjam of #5 -6 D man we have accumulated during training camp. So are they thinking about somehow acquiring a top 6 forward or trading for some shutdown D pairings.

Link?

Read about 2/3 way down the article and remember the reporter is talking to Shero to get that article.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ds-669347/
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:It bothers me for some reason whenever I see a Penguin not named Ron Francis wear that number.

Like this clown!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins