Now that NHL is back are you?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Now that NHL is back are you?

Postby joe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi everyone happy new year! It's been awhile for me posting here. I missed you all.

I feel indifferent that hockey is back. What took them so long to do this? Fans can do what they want but IMHO we need to send a message to the league. We are not sheep. If you play we will not come. Let the league feel the wrath of the fans. They take us for granted. They assume no matter we will come back. For me it will be a long day before i ever attend a regular season game again.

The league needs a reality check. They need to do the following to prove they get it!

1) Remove bettman and fehr asap
2) Shorten the season - It's too long start the season in december
3) Contract - Too many teams two teams in fla really? Phoenix? Columbus - great arena but will they ever compete?
4) Change playoff format - Why not give the division winners a bye in the first round?

I will be a pens fan but for the regular season i will be a casual observer. The regular season is a grind. The playoffs have shown all you have to do is make the playoffs. The seeds mean nothing.

A quick thought on the pens having a heathly sid and geno are huge but the pens have major questions marks. Their defense is spotty. Having paul martin is not a plus. MAF needs to step up and play like he did when the pens won the cup.

The pens still don't have a winger for sid. This should have been a priority! Losing staal will hurt the pens deeply. I don't care how good sutter is he is no jordan staal.

Good luck pens and for all those who go the games i salute you. See you all around playoff time.
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Now that NHL is back are you?

Postby joopen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:21 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzz....
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm

What better way to celebrate the new CBA than to contract a couple of teams and shorten the season? Good times.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Wat? No word...I have no words.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:42 pm

Of the enumerated points, I didn't agree with a single one to be honest.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:46 pm

mikey287 wrote:Of the enumerated points, I didn't agree with a single one to be honest.

And of the non-enumerated points I only agreed with about 2.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:50 pm

I agree with nothing
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

The defense is spotty and that making the playoffs means you have a chance in said playoffs.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:58 pm

joe wrote:Hi everyone happy new year!

1) Remove bettman and fehr asap
2) Shorten the season - It's too long start the season in december
3) Contract - Too many teams two teams in fla really? Phoenix? Columbus - great arena but will they ever compete?
4) Change playoff format - Why not give the division winners a bye in the first round?

1. Owners love Bettman for being the guy that gets the job done. Besides, who else would take the abuse that he gets and still returns with a smile? I predict two years from now he retires. Only so much hate before it damages the body and mind. Fehr goes before then.

2. If you shorten the season, East Coast US and Canadian fans can't go the early games in shorts. Hockey Sweaters and Shorts. A total fashion statement.

3. Will Florida, Phoenix, Columbus ever compete? At what? Florida made it to the Cup Finals, PHX was there till the end last season, and Columbus is still new in NHL years. If you want to contract based on performance, wouldn't Toronto be the first to go???

4. Momentum. Once you get a hot streak, you run with it. A first-round bye puts you on the shelf for up to two weeks. Just enough time to nurse injuries and lose a hot streak.

Happy New Year as well.

LETS GO PENS!
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm

We will see another two team expansion before a contraction
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Fine i can take the heat. You mean you are not mad at the league? They are back so we will come running back? Why? This is what they want and expect. I hope the arenas are half empty. The only arena that should sellout is the kings. They won the cup they deserve to celebrate. Don't reward the NHL for their ignorance.
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jopaz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:10 pm

If they play, and the quality is there, people will come. An article in today's P-G said that the Pens had 45 season ticket holders cancel due to the strike. If you figure each account averages 2 tickets, that is 90 tickets out of 16,000 season tickets sold - less than 1%.
The markets that typically struggle will still do so, especially where there are other options like the NBA. But in places like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, all of Canada - the fans will be back. The NBA, NFL, and MBL have gone through stoppages before and eventually returned as strong as ever. Once the games begin I think most fans will forget that the stike ever happened.

The shortened season will be an interesting change and every game now is more meaningful. Drop the Puck!!!
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 pm

I am disgusted with the league, the players, and just about everyone involved in the disaster that was the last six months. That being said, I am going to come back and watch and pay attention just like I would any other year, although I probably won't attend any games this season for the first time in years.

The fact is, hardcore fans, like the kind that post on hockey message boards, will come back.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm

joe wrote:Fine i can take the heat. You mean you are not mad at the league? They are back so we will come running back? Why? This is what they want and expect. I hope the arenas are half empty. The only arena that should sellout is the kings. They won the cup they deserve to celebrate. Don't reward the NHL for their ignorance.

Why would I, or yourself for that matter, be mad? There is a season. A sprint race that should have meaning every game. Something, interestingly enough, you are advocating. I will go to every game I want to. Not because I want to give the players or owners money, but because I am a fan of the Penguins and there is nothing more entertaining than being at a game IMO. So, I am not rewarding anyone but myself. I will not punish myself because of the supposed greediness of the sides. Business is business.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I am disgusted with the league, the players, and just about everyone involved in the disaster that was the last six months. That being said, I am going to come back and watch and pay attention just like I would any other year, although I probably won't attend any games this season for the first time in years.

The fact is, hardcore fans, like the kind that post on hockey message boards, will come back.

People at work know me as "the hockey guy", so on conference calls today, I had to explain my position that while I am very happy that the NHL is going to play this season, I will not pay to see a game due to the grief they caused. One guy in ATL said he hasn't been back to a MLB game since they had replacement players. Yikes, he's old! I hope the league never makes me that angry.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah, that's just it. I just don't feel like making the trip from Philly this year, and I guess if you want to call that my little mini-protest against the league, there you have it. I'm also not ordering Center Ice this year, which I have ordered for the last three years running. Probably going to rely on radio feeds/Philly feeds/national feeds, which I have been loathe to do in recent years.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 pm

I feel like I've already handed them my wallet.

<-- sucker?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby penny lane on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:34 pm

the pens don't need me to actually attend the games from the start. always will I follow the pens,
but I won't spend my money on them until, maybe feb or the play-offs.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:40 pm

eh i'm getting the tix while you guys stay home :)
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Columbus needs all the help they can get. I might try to get Student Rush tickets to the first game back.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

BackinBlack.youtube
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SDPen77 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

I am just so happy that hockey is back that I no longer care about the lockout. Go Pens! It is a business, it cannot always be perfect.
SDPen77

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I will not attend a game this year, but that's only because my annual business/fun trip to Pittsburgh is in October. I agree with the seniment that I'd love to send a message, but I won't and I'll be watching from day one - like always.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Last edited by Bioshock on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins