Lockout

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lockout

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am

So if Fehr stays as the players rep, when the next CBA negotiations come around will he need a "year or so" to learn about how the current deal is structured before starting negotiations?
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:34 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:So if Fehr stays as the players rep, when the next CBA negotiations come around will he need a "year or so" to learn about how the current deal is structured before starting negotiations?

He isn't staying as the player rep. Well Don isn't, he's going back into retirement. Pretty sure Steve is taking over.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:So if Fehr stays as the players rep, when the next CBA negotiations come around will he need a "year or so" to learn about how the current deal is structured before starting negotiations?

He isn't staying as the player rep. Well Don isn't, he's going back into retirement. Pretty sure Steve is taking over.

Correct. Don is done.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

Its astonishing to me how many people have missed that. Its been pretty well reported all along and yet people are clamoring for him to be fired. First of all, the Players want him back, he excelled in the position. Secondly, all along it has been known that he'd be done.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Its astonishing to me how many people have missed that. Its been pretty well reported all along and yet people are clamoring for him to be fired. First of all, the Players want him back, he excelled in the position. Secondly, all along it has been known that he'd be done.

Some people don't care and don't pay attention to details in articles. Plus the same people who wanted Fehr are the same ones who think Bettman is trash as well. Given the fact this CBA was fair to both sides, I can see why the players would be pleased with his work.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 am

I think that if this deal is viewed as relatively fair, it would do well to get rid of Bettman(I assume he's getting ready to retire anyway), and with Don gone, Steve and Daly both seem to be more moderate...though that may just be by virtue of their positions. I feel like this deal sets them up to be more cooperative moving forward, who knows though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beLIEve on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am

JeffDFD wrote:Just for laughs...everyone saw their taxes go up this 2013 at least 2% due to the medicare tax break expiring. On 11 million...that is $220,000. I also believe he would fall into the tax hikes for those making over 400,000 - haha. I don't know exactly how much in taxes he would pay here, but he may actually make more money in the KHL.

I know you said it was just for laughs, but just pointing out that the Social Security tax reverting back to being 2% higher only applies to the first $113,700 of earnings. So it'd only cost him an additional $2,274, not $220,000.

The tax free part has never been clear to me and I've always wondered what that meant. Is it truly tax free over there, or are they referring to the fact that Russia has a flat tax over there as opposed to a progressive one.

The KHL does have a hard salary cap of only $36.5 million this season, so I'm not sure how much they could actually dedicate to a single player, even one as talented as Kovalchuk. But I do know they have had cap exemptions for NHL players playing during the lockout, so I'm not sure how that all shakes out now that the lockout is over.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think that if this deal is viewed as relatively fair, it would do well to get rid of Bettman(I assume he's getting ready to retire anyway), and with Don gone, Steve and Daly both seem to be more moderate...though that may just be by virtue of their positions. I feel like this deal sets them up to be more cooperative moving forward, who knows though.

I think those two if they become heads of their jobs, they would become what their bosses want them to be. If the PA wanted Steve to take the owners to the brink he will. Same with Daly. Although I could be wrong and I wouldn't mind being wrong this time because I really don't want to go through with this again. Personally I don't mind the job Bettman has done and I hope to doesn't listen to the people who think he shouldn't present the SC this year.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:21 am

McKenzie just retweeted

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next. So there... #NJDevils
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:McKenzie just retweeted

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud
Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next. So there... #NJDevils

I can't believe he's actually mulling this over. Lord know what type of team the Devils will have offensively with Parise gone and Kovy potentially.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:32 am

he's not mulling over anything. what a non-story.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am

shmenguin wrote:he's not mulling over anything. what a non-story.

Then what to call him reading over the agreement and then making a decsion on his future? I don't see any other NHLers doing this.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:46 am

beLIEve wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Just for laughs...everyone saw their taxes go up this 2013 at least 2% due to the medicare tax break expiring. On 11 million...that is $220,000. I also believe he would fall into the tax hikes for those making over 400,000 - haha. I don't know exactly how much in taxes he would pay here, but he may actually make more money in the KHL.

The tax free part has never been clear to me and I've always wondered what that meant. Is it truly tax free over there, or are they referring to the fact that Russia has a flat tax over there as opposed to a progressive one.

This was never made totally clear to me either. I thought it was a flat tax and it was just misinterpreted in North America. But then I've heard instances where the team will cover the tax for the player...so it's hard to say exactly...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:51 am

I mean when they're paying their guys with brown paper bags full of money and shuffling them out the side doors I'm sure its all legit and hes getting only 65%
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:57 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:

Then what to call him reading over the agreement and then making a decsion on his future? I don't see any other NHLers doing this.

i think these guys who puffed their chests during the lockout don't want to seem like insincere idiots, so they're going to pretend to be very measured in how they respond. but ultimately, there's no choice.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

i think these guys who puffed their chests during the lockout don't want to seem like insincere idiots, so they're going to pretend to be very measured in how they respond. but ultimately, there's no choice.

Unless he doesn't want to play for a loser... With Zach gone, and the way the new CBA is written, he is going to have a hard time asking for a trade? I am sure NJ wouldn't minf having him off the books if he decides to walk. He isn't worth the money they are paying him. I would thnk he can make good money in KHL.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tim Thomasen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

Oh I agree. These guys are bound by their contracts to come back once the lockout ended and it has ended. Just suprised he's creating a fuss when no one else is that huffed and puffed their chests during the lockout (like Ovie for example).

Actually given the fact it's Kovy, i'm not exactly suprised he's doing this.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

I read a MacKenzie tweet yesterday. He said a returning North American NHLer said the KHL owners are throwing money at NHL players in an attempt to get them to stay. Maybe Kolvachoo's team is trying to make it worth his while to stay.

I guess the KHL owners think this is more important than Sochi...because if they undermine the NHL on this, I can't see Bettman letting players participate in 2014.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

They won't seem insincere, they didn't want contracts rolled back, and they are getting paid their money. I think he's seriously considering an attempt to stay over there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:10 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:

I read a MacKenzie tweet yesterday. He said a returning North American NHLer said the KHL owners are throwing money at NHL players in an attempt to get them to stay. Maybe Kolvachoo's team is trying to make it worth his while to stay.

I guess the KHL owners think this is more important than Sochi...because if they undermine the NHL on this, I can't see Bettman letting players participate in 2014.

If the KHL wants to disrupt the NHL, that would do it. Lots of players, including North American ones, would be pretty unhappy with that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Its astonishing to me how many people have missed that. Its been pretty well reported all along and yet people are clamoring for him to be fired. First of all, the Players want him back, he excelled in the position. Secondly, all along it has been known that he'd be done.

If the players want him, he'll be back in 8 or so years, take a year to learn the deal, then push the lockout to the brink of another cancelled season in order to get "the best deal" for the players. He's convinced the players that's the only path and they believe him. I don't think this tactic works as well if he stays in the position.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

But many Russian players (I believe Malkin included) said they would go to Sochi for the Olympics regardless..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm

beLIEve wrote:

I know you said it was just for laughs, but just pointing out that the Social Security tax reverting back to being 2% higher only applies to the first $113,700 of earnings. So it'd only cost him an additional $2,274, not $220,000.

The KHL does have a hard salary cap of only $36.5 million this season, so I'm not sure how much they could actually dedicate to a single player, even one as talented as Kovalchuk. But I do know they have had cap exemptions for NHL players playing during the lockout, so I'm not sure how that all shakes out now that the lockout is over.

Forgot about that! But still...his taxes will be high here and who knows what the KHL is offering him in a duffel bag behind the arena
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:

If the players want him, he'll be back in 8 or so years, take a year to learn the deal, then push the lockout to the brink of another cancelled season in order to get "the best deal" for the players. He's convinced the players that's the only path and they believe him. I don't think this tactic works as well if he stays in the position.

Yeah its definitely his prerogative to risk a cancelled season. He certainly hasn't overseen the longest period of labor peace in NA sports.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beLIEve on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:14 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
beLIEve wrote:

Forgot about that! But still...his taxes will be high here and who knows what the KHL is offering him in a duffel bag behind the arena

True. I'm sure he also gets plenty of perks there. But what they can never offer him is the same financial security as a 15 year guaranteed money deal in the NHL. That's why I'm all but totally sure he'll be back.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins