NHL Center Ice

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NHL Center Ice

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am

I had Gamecenter last year (along with CenterIce on Directv) and really thought that it wasn't that great. most of the Gamecenter games I watched were on an Ipad and I really wasn't very impressed with the feed. if Directv is an option for you go that route. Directv not only has every game but they (usually) have both feeds of every game AND both feeds in HD. exceptions are when Canadian teams play each other for some weird reason.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

The feed is much better on PC than it is on a mobile app. None of the apps can do hd like the the web browser version.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:33 am

Looked just fine on Roku and AppleTV last year although we were 30 seconds to 5 minutes behind in some cases.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Senka on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 am

the directtv version is not an option. my area only offers comcast -- so it pretty much has the market cornered here. Ill do my research.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 pm

I have DirecTV, and I couldn't be happier with the product. Every U.S. Team's homefeed is broadcast in HD. Most the Canadian teams' home feeds are, but if the Canadian team is on CBC (or something) it's not carried. In short, then, I get every Penguin game feed in HD with the exception of those NHL network (I get) and NBC Sports Network (I don't). But I can order and cancel NBC Sports in 24 hours and pay the one-day prorated rate of like $0.50.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Man, I loved DirectTV's Center Ice. I had it the Cup year and it was phenomenal. Some issues with the Canadian regional networks and HD, and the MSG teams of course, but really HD everywhere else.

That service is the only thing I miss about not having cable/satellite. I can live without everything else, but no live NHL makes me sad.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby champeen on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:11 pm

I've had Center Ice via DirecTV for 12 or 13 years now and it has been fantastic. If watching games in HD is important to you (of course it is), I don't think any other option comes close. Being able to choose home and away feeds is the icing on the cake for those of you who can't get enough Rick Jeanneret.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 pm

champeen wrote:I've had Center Ice via DirecTV for 12 or 13 years now and it has been fantastic. If watching games in HD is important to you (of course it is), I don't think any other option comes close. Being able to choose home and away feeds is the icing on the cake for those of you who can't get enough Rick Jeanneret.

We too have had DirecTV based CI since the 00-01 season, after we had a partial season ticket plan in 99-00 and could not renew - wedding costs had sapped the hockey budget.

Being able to choose the feed was a great improvement. Before that, it was a case of you never knew which feed you would be stuck with.

And this year, they'ved moved the former Versus from 603 to 220 on the dial. Can't tell you about HD - haven't bit the bullet to upgrade our Series 2 TiVos to the new HD Tivo boxes. SD on a 1080p TV, pixelated up close but if you are sitting in the back of the room, it's not bad. We've got so much backlogged on the current receivers that has slowed us some too, as had the HD requiring a new dish.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

Senka wrote:the directtv version is not an option. my area only offers comcast -- so it pretty much has the market cornered here. Ill do my research.

your area only "offers" comcast? are you completely covered in trees because I thought Directv (and Dish) was available everywhere you had line of site to the satellites?
I have a friend who has a lot of trees around him and he can get Directv but he can't pull in the HD feeds so he's stuck with that AT&T tv service. we obviously don't watch games at his house. :scared:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:25 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
Senka wrote:the directtv version is not an option. my area only offers comcast -- so it pretty much has the market cornered here. Ill do my research.

your area only "offers" comcast? are you completely covered in trees because I thought Directv (and Dish) was available everywhere you had line of site to the satellites?
I have a friend who has a lot of trees around him and he can get Directv but he can't pull in the HD feeds so he's stuck with that AT&T tv service. we obviously don't watch games at his house. :scared:

They may live in a condo/apartment/housing development that won't allow satellite dishes. Been there, done that. :thumbdown:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stinky on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I had GameCenter on Roku last year:

Pros:
Pick your feed
HD (if you have a decent cable speeds)
Good picture quality (although there was slight "jitter" when panning)
Ability to get any game of the season in archives AND past select games from the NHL archive

Cons:
The jitter issue, picture isnt perfect like Directtv HD, but it is more than decent HD quality
Lag if your trying to sync to radio

The biggest CON of them all by far for me was the blackout of national games, the Pens had over 40 games on national tv or the NHL network and I could not watch any of those games. If angered me to no end that the NHL blacked out games on Gamecenter if they were on the NHL network.

I am not sure of the Pens national TV shcedule, but I am not sure I will spend the bucks to watch only half the games. Would a VPN service work for National games?
stinky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 pm

stinky wrote: Would a VPN service work for National games?

No. They are blacked out across the board. Since nationally available networks paid alot of money to show them, they don't want the NHL cutting in on their ratings. With the NHL Network it is partially owned by Comcast, who also really wants to 1) get more people subscribing to it and 2) wants to collect the ad revenue.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:They may live in a condo/apartment/housing development that won't allow satellite dishes. Been there, done that. :thumbdown:

That is technically illegal in most cases. Do a google search on OTARD.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Slick, Arnold on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 pm

For what it's worth, the PS3 app was horrible
Slick, Arnold
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm

stinky wrote:I had GameCenter on Roku last year:

Pros:
Pick your feed
HD (if you have a decent cable speeds)
Good picture quality (although there was slight "jitter" when panning)
Ability to get any game of the season in archives AND past select games from the NHL archive

Cons:
The jitter issue, picture isnt perfect like Directtv HD, but it is more than decent HD quality
Lag if your trying to sync to radio

The biggest CON of them all by far for me was the blackout of national games, the Pens had over 40 games on national tv or the NHL network and I could not watch any of those games. If angered me to no end that the NHL blacked out games on Gamecenter if they were on the NHL network.

I am not sure of the Pens national TV shcedule, but I am not sure I will spend the bucks to watch only half the games. Would a VPN service work for National games?

CenterIce would black games out too if they were on NHL Network, which Comcast/NBC owns, or on NBCS. The NHL has no control over the channel.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Something to consider. Gamecentre Live is the online product for watching NHL games. There has been a lot of media attention at suggestions by fans (and media) that Gamecenter Live be made free for a while to entice fans back to watch the NHL (and as a way of saying sorry for being dickheads). Stay tuned for announcements on this, as it may save you some $$$$. Even if its just in Canada, you can get an DNS shifter for $5 month and appear to be from Canada and get it for free $5/month.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:50 pm

ffemtreed wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:They may live in a condo/apartment/housing development that won't allow satellite dishes. Been there, done that. :thumbdown:

That is technically illegal in most cases. Do a google search on OTARD.

Yeah, was gonna say it's illegal. However if you're on one side of a complex and your dish needs to point the other way, you're out of luck.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Property owners get around that by making it a line item in leases....I just signed one like that a few months ago.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

I've read a couple of compelling arguments (from fans and previous Gamecenter subscribers) that they hope it won't be free or reduced price because the stream quality drops significantly during the past trial periods.

I get that, but I hope it's free. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins