A few FA still out there...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: A few FA still out there...

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Who would Benn rather play with? Crosby/Malkin or Morrow/Erikkson
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Martin, Bennett, Tangradi for Benn
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Who would Benn rather play with? Crosby/Malkin or Morrow/Erikkson

Benn is a center, so Morrow and Eriksson.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:43 pm

mikey287 wrote:
DocEmrick wrote:Who would Benn rather play with? Crosby/Malkin or Morrow/Erikkson

Benn is a center, so Morrow and Eriksson.

I hope fans realize soon that in a cap system and limited term contracts terms the allure of playing in a city or with certain players takes a very distant back seat to teams with cap space, extra dollars and a larger contract.

I heard the same thing about Zach Parise.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
meow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:As it stands our PK scares the bejesus out of me.

Haven't heard this in awhile. Losing Staal and Michalek hurts, but I'm not too worried about it.

Sutter is a quality PK guy; he had 3 SHG last year on a team that was pretty poor on the PK. Guess it doesn't say much that their PK was not good, but I don't think he will be a significant drop off from Staal. Just my opinion, but I don't have a ton of confidence in Craig Adams centering the first PK these days.

I also expect to see some experimentation with 71 or 87 on the second unit.

Sutter will be fine on the PK I'm sure. My thoughts of uh oh are more geared towards our defense. Orpik didn't have a great year last year, and not sure if we have anyone else who I trust to log most of these minutes.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Orpik said in an interview with Seth from EmptyNetters that he was still hurting from that surgery he had, and that the lockout has given him time to fully heal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:11 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Orpik said in an interview with Seth from EmptyNetters that he was still hurting from that surgery he had, and that the lockout has given him time to fully heal.

:thumb:

Hopefully Crosby stays healthy as well...
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

this lockout really screwed with the team doctors. how are you supposed to wait until the season starts to perform surgeries if you don't know when that's going to be?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Orpik said in an interview with Seth from EmptyNetters that he was still hurting from that surgery he had, and that the lockout has given him time to fully heal.

It must have been his injured muscle tugging him to the blue line and out of position 4 times per game.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm not sure how that "lost looking for a hit in the blue line" thing followed him freom the late 00s through his season and a half of great play and into his current play. He has lost his way the last few years and got lost out of position many times, but i'm not sure how often it happened in the neutral zone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'm not sure how that "lost looking for a hit in the blue line" thing followed him freom the late 00s through his season and a half of great play and into his current play. He has lost his way the last few years and got lost out of position many times, but i'm not sure how often it happened in the neutral zone.

I'm not being specific to the neutral zone or whatever. But he has made costly attempts at a hit which include him moslty leaving position near the goal and going way too high near the blue line.

I can't remember which game of the finals against Detroit in 09, I think game 3 but the behind the goal cam of him skating back towards the pens goal from the blue line (wings scored) after doing just that is priceless.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

You're going to use Orpik and Letang on the PK for sure. Martin should be fine on the PK as well, but you need a stay at home guy there with him. If Bortuzzo makes the team, that might be your guy.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:21 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
meow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:As it stands our PK scares the bejesus out of me.

Haven't heard this in awhile. Losing Staal and Michalek hurts, but I'm not too worried about it.

Sutter is a quality PK guy; he had 3 SHG last year on a team that was pretty poor on the PK. Guess it doesn't say much that their PK was not good, but I don't think he will be a significant drop off from Staal. Just my opinion, but I don't have a ton of confidence in Craig Adams centering the first PK these days.

I also expect to see some experimentation with 71 or 87 on the second unit.

Sutter will be fine on the PK I'm sure. My thoughts of uh oh are more geared towards our defense. Orpik didn't have a great year last year, and not sure if we have anyone else who I trust to log most of these minutes.

He was fine, and his partner is not nearly as important as how Fleury plays, and in the compressed schedule, ultimately its also important how Vokoun plays. Both guys are going to be important in the PK. Any of the other 5 guys are capable of a reasonable share of the other minutes. Play a bunch of guys, go with the hot hand.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Glass can pk...but he can fight pretty well too.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

Brian Campbell is still unsigned? I'd rather have him than Gonchar to be honest.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Saskunitz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Brian Campbell is still unsigned? I'd rather have him than Gonchar to be honest.

Unsigned? :shock: Don't you remember him signing that ridiculous contract with Chicago before getting shipped off to Florida. He has a cap hit of 7.143 through 2016.
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Saskunitz wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Brian Campbell is still unsigned? I'd rather have him than Gonchar to be honest.

Unsigned? :shock: Don't you remember him signing that ridiculous contract with Chicago before getting shipped off to Florida. He has a cap hit of 7.143 through 2016.

Leave it to ESPN, it looks like a typo. They have him as a UFA and having played for Montreal in 2011-2012
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:31 pm

If the defense is bad, we're going to be seeing a lot of Vokoun. Dude knows how to play with the other team playing offense 5 on 0.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins