Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chipotle

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is it?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes : 79

Re: Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chip

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

offsides wrote:This is the best. I put it on everything. Well, almost everything.

Dear Sriracha

How Addicted to Sriracha Are You?
(NSFW language at The Oatmeal)

itissteeltime wrote:Even though it seems the majority of people here say yes, I don't think I can be convinced they are correct. Again, if you guys are talking about stealing the bottle, worth a couple cents recycled, then I agree that's theft. However, I cannot figure out in my head what the difference is between taking what is left in a bottle, and dumping the contents into those little plastic cups. If anything, you're using more of their inventory when you ask for an extra cup.

The question posed is "Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chipotle" [sic]. There was no clarification on the amount of sauce left in said bottle. That could mean anything from a normal plastic container-sized portion that is meant to be complementary, or a full unopened bottle. When answering a binary question, worst case scenario has to be controlling.

So yes, it's bloody stealing to take a whole bottle of hot sauce from a restaurant.

And I like how 90-10 'seems' like people say it's stealing. :face:

itissteeltime wrote:ok - So it's the physical bottle you guys are concerned about, not the content within the bottle? I've never taken an unopened new bottle. But if there is like 1/3 of the bottle, which I'd either use on my burrito, or empty entirely into a little plastic cup, it's still wrong?

If you are using 1/3 of a bottle of hot sauce on a burrito, why bother buying the burrito? Save your stomach the trouble and just drink the hot sauce.

I have a desk drawer at work with about 8-10 different hot sauces. I love hot sauce. Never in a million years would I consider it a worthwhile endeavor to put 4 oz of hot sauce on anything that was burrito sized. It's a waste of a burrito.

yubb wrote:In the latter case, if enough people do what you do then Chipotle may alter how they divvy out hot sauce.

My buddy used to work out at a Crossfit gym in West Hollywood that was down the street from a Whole Foods. Every Wednesday, WF would have bacon in the breakfast buffet. Bacon for Crossfitters is like blood to sharks. They'd descend on WF after the morning workouts and simply house all the bacon.... and since it was part of the breakfast bar, you could get a full pound of bacon for like $5, which is considerably less expensive than buying packaged bacon to cook at home. (At least at WF)

After about two months, that WF stopped putting bacon in their breakfast buffet.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am

Wanted some napkins to put in my car in case I needed them to blow my nose or something came up. So grabbed a couple extra at McDonalds then normally would. STEALING?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 am

In a world of absolutes I'd say yes that would be stealing, especially if you didn't buy anything first.

That said, I always take extra napkins for just this reason.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am

There is a difference between taking a couple extra napkins or ketchup packets (which are there for that exact purpose) and picking up a BOTTLE off the table and taking it with you.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 am

count2infinity wrote:
Azkar wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Yeah, the poll results are pretty overwhelming. When you can get 88% of a polarized population to agree on something, there you go.

It doesn't mean I'm going to stop.

well those of us that use tabasco responsibly at chipotle will have you to thank when they start charging for it.

Well I only take Cholula from Qdoba, so you're safe.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

I've got a good one for you:

We have a full professor (academic rank, tenured) who presumably makes a salary in the low six figures. He feels obligated to "top off" his personal hand sanitizer bottle(s) with a large jug we have available for students/faculty/staff to use. I'm in a library, with a computer lab, so that's why we have it.

When cornered on the issue, he says "we're all employees of the college, what difference does it make." The difference, I feel, is that it doesn't come out of his departmental budget. He disagrees, and is a notorious cheapskate, to boot. He also comes in after hours (when we have younger, more impressionable evening staff) and pilfers color paper and card stock, and he uses the same excuse.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

I know someone who brings his garbage from home to the office to throw away in the dumpster.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

IanMoran wrote:Wanted some napkins to put in my car in case I needed them to blow my nose or something came up. So grabbed a couple extra at McDonalds then normally would. STEALING?

no because its not in a bottle, duh
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Wanted some napkins to put in my car in case I needed them to blow my nose or something came up. So grabbed a couple extra at McDonalds then normally would. STEALING?

no because its not in a bottle, duh

New product idea: bottled napkins!
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 am

I guess this needed more info before posting. I've never walked into a chipotle and taken anything near a whole bottle. I have however purchased a burrito to go, and if I see a bottle with about as much sauce as I'd use, I'll just take it. I save the company one of thos plastic cups, which is actually reverse stealing!
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 am

itissteeltime wrote:I guess this needed more info before posting. I've never walked into a chipotle and taken anything near a whole bottle. I have however purchased a burrito to go, and if I see a bottle with about as much sauce as I'd use, I'll just take it. I save the company one of thos plastic cups, which is actually reverse stealing!

Go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of your favorite hot sauce to have at home for your burrito to go. If you are taking it back to work then get an extra one for your office.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I've got a good one for you:

We have a full professor (academic rank, tenured) who presumably makes a salary in the low six figures. He feels obligated to "top off" his personal hand sanitizer bottle(s) with a large jug we have available for students/faculty/staff to use. I'm in a library, with a computer lab, so that's why we have it.

When cornered on the issue, he says "we're all employees of the college, what difference does it make." The difference, I feel, is that it doesn't come out of his departmental budget. He disagrees, and is a notorious cheapskate, to boot. He also comes in after hours (when we have younger, more impressionable evening staff) and pilfers color paper and card stock, and he uses the same excuse.

So its for hand sanitizer that he has at work? Yeah I have no problemw ith that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:37 am

yubb wrote:I know someone who brings his garbage from home to the office to throw away in the dumpster.

Same situation at my office. We even have a guy who shows up looking for scrap metal, every Tuesday.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 am

joopen wrote:
itissteeltime wrote:I guess this needed more info before posting. I've never walked into a chipotle and taken anything near a whole bottle. I have however purchased a burrito to go, and if I see a bottle with about as much sauce as I'd use, I'll just take it. I save the company one of thos plastic cups, which is actually reverse stealing!

Go to the grocery store and buy a bottle of your favorite hot sauce to have at home for your burrito to go. If you are taking it back to work then get an extra one for your office.

That would make sense if I used it on other stuff besides chipotle burritos. Or if Chipotle didnt offer it for free with my burritos. The only time I need it is when I go to Chipotle, and they have it for me every time!
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 am

ps. The correct term is "Gank a basco"

"Hey man, wanna go gank a basco from chipotle?"
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
canaan wrote:sriracha is too spicy for me. that stuff should be called mordor sauce.

Wuss

i dont have an affinity towards heat to the point it takes away the flavor of the food for me, nor do i enjoy the agita that tends to follow such things.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

i also think most horseradish is too much, but whatevs. cada uno a su gusto.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:43 am

Azkar wrote:ps. The correct term is "Gank a basco"

"Hey man, wanna go gank a basco from chipotle?"

im gonna use that phrase, but just because its fun to say.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

I love wassabi. And sriracha
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 am

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 am

I use way too much hotsauce to use small bottles
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 am

If they sold mustard gas, I would try making cocktail sauce with it.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

itissteeltime wrote:
joopen wrote:

That would make sense if I used it on other stuff besides chipotle burritos. Or if Chipotle didnt offer it for free with my burritos. The only time I need it is when I go to Chipotle, and they have it for me all of their customers every time!

It makes sense because that is what non-criminals do. They buy things that they use, even if it is only for one specific use. The bolded part is your problem. You are being selfish. You don't care about the impact on the rest of the paying customers. The bottles are not designed to leave the store. Like I said, go ask the local store manager. If they say yea go ahead then come back and tell us we are all wrong.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

To make sure we're on the same page. Your issue is with the bottle itself, not whats inside the bottle? If that's the case, I agree. I'm not taking any more or less sauce than I would if I emptied it into a plastic cup, which they allow you to do.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

joopen wrote:It makes sense because that is what non-criminals do. They buy things that they use, even if it is only for one specific use. The bolded part is your problem. You are being selfish. You don't care about the impact on the rest of the paying customers. The bottles are not designed to leave the store. Like I said, go ask the local store manager. If they say yea go ahead then come back and tell us we are all wrong.

they must have a ton of empty bottles in the back.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR