Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chipotle

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is it?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes : 79

Re: Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chip

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 am

Azkar wrote:
joopen wrote:It makes sense because that is what non-criminals do. They buy things that they use, even if it is only for one specific use. The bolded part is your problem. You are being selfish. You don't care about the impact on the rest of the paying customers. The bottles are not designed to leave the store. Like I said, go ask the local store manager. If they say yea go ahead then come back and tell us we are all wrong.

they must have a ton of empty bottles in the back.

Or they have a few small bottles in the back but mostly buy the hot sauce in bulk containers and use the bulk to fill up the glass jars to save cost?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am

itissteeltime wrote:To make sure we're on the same page. Your issue is with the bottle itself, not whats inside the bottle? If that's the case, I agree. I'm not taking any more or less sauce than I would if I emptied it into a plastic cup, which they allow you to do.

My issue is with the bottle of hot sauce's intended use. I would imagine it is intended that it physically stays in the store.
Last edited by joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby viva la ben on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am

I wonder what Billy Mitchell would think about this? :bigthink:
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am

joopen wrote:
Azkar wrote:
joopen wrote:It makes sense because that is what non-criminals do. They buy things that they use, even if it is only for one specific use. The bolded part is your problem. You are being selfish. You don't care about the impact on the rest of the paying customers. The bottles are not designed to leave the store. Like I said, go ask the local store manager. If they say yea go ahead then come back and tell us we are all wrong.

Or they have a few small bottles in the back but mostly buy the hot sauce in bulk containers and use the bulk to fill up the glass jars to save cost?

I think it's a health code violation to refill bottles like that. I could be wrong though.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 am

joopen wrote:
Azkar wrote:

Every time I go there I see several bottles with fresh plastic on the top, so I don't know that they refill them.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

yubb wrote:
joopen wrote:
Azkar wrote:

I think it's a health code violation to refill bottles like that. I could be wrong though.

I can't imagine it is. They re-use katchup, salt and pepper, ect all the time.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

I would say the best solution would be to ask a store manager.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:10 am

joopen wrote:
I can't imagine it is. They re-use katchup, salt and pepper, ect all the time.

Heinz sends representatives secretly to restaurants, to make sure they aren't refilling Heinz bottles with inferior products.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am

It was refilling ketchup that was the case I think I'm remembering. Salt and pepper are OK, but refilling a liquid/gel/goo wasn't OK.

This is for Michigan, but I may not be totally off base here: http://www.chacha.com/question/is-it-legal-for-restaurants-to-refill-ketchup-bottles-in-michigan
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

Chipotle definitley does not refill them.

The reason I brought this up, is it came up at happy hour last night at this new bar near me, our table was evenly split. We actually ended up asking the waitress what she thought. She said if we purchased something to go, she wouldnt have a problem with us taking what is left in the bottle (it was about 1/4 full).
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 am

How could this be described as anything but stealing?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

itissteeltime wrote:Chipotle definitley does not refill them.

The reason I brought this up, is it came up at happy hour last night at this new bar near me, our table was evenly split. We actually ended up asking the waitress what she thought. She said if we purchased something to go, she wouldnt have a problem with us taking what is left in the bottle (it was about 1/4 full).

i dont think the waitress is the one that should be clarifying the issue.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am

itissteeltime wrote:Chipotle definitley does not refill them.

Servers have little stake in the company and often side against the company for which they work. Therefore I wouldn't value their opinion on the matter and I certainly don't think they're objective.

They see you stealing that bottle of hot sauce as a way of sticking it to the man, one bottle of hot sauce at a time. :scared:
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:29 am

Agree that the waitress is not the determining person, but thats all I've got so far.

Factorial wrote:How could this be described as anything but stealing?

If we're talking about the bottle, then yes I agree. The sauce itself I dont think is stealing at all. As mentioned before, as long as you're not going in there and stocking up on the sauce to use in the future. If your purpose is to use it on the item you just purchased, how could this be stealing?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 am

yubb wrote:It was refilling ketchup that was the case I think I'm remembering. Salt and pepper are OK, but refilling a liquid/gel/goo wasn't OK.

This is for Michigan, but I may not be totally off base here: http://www.chacha.com/question/is-it-legal-for-restaurants-to-refill-ketchup-bottles-in-michigan

Gotcha
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

joopen wrote:I would say the best solution would be to ask a store manager.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am

If you take the hot sauce you might get shot. Deal with it.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am

So where's the line? I'm allowed to take hot sauce packets from taco bell, but if I take a bottle of Cholula I'm a criminal. What if the bottle was made of plastic? would that be ok? Is glassware the cut off?
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am

if you are asking for a souffle cup to put sauce in it and the establishment is cool with that, i dont see a problem with it. if you're just gankin' a basco, thats a different story to me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am

Man, this thread. I bet you people want us to pay for your gas and your mortgage too :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Azkar wrote:So where's the line? I'm allowed to take hot sauce packets from taco bell, but if I take a bottle of Cholula I'm a criminal. What if the bottle was made of plastic? would that be ok? Is glassware the cut off?

If you take anything out of the restaurant then that is stealing. The only exception would be for takeout and even then if you purposely take more than you know you will use with your takeout then that is stealing.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby rasbatch on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Cheap people really annoy me, I'm not saying the OP is cheap. The professor with
the hand sanitizer story, and stuff like that drives me absolutely crazy and I don't know why.
If I ever wanted to just punch someone in the face it's these type of people, irrational? you bet!
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Factorial wrote:
Azkar wrote:So where's the line? I'm allowed to take hot sauce packets from taco bell, but if I take a bottle of Cholula I'm a criminal. What if the bottle was made of plastic? would that be ok? Is glassware the cut off?

If you take anything out of the restaurant then that is stealing. The only exception would be for takeout and even then if you purposely take more than you know you will use with your takeout then that is stealing.

So taco bell packets are not ok to take?
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Azkar wrote:
Factorial wrote:

So taco bell packets are not ok to take?

Of course we're only talking about take out. I'm not talking about walking into a chipotle, picking up sauce, and leaving. I'm talking about buying a burrito, and taking the same sauce I would use in the store, but using it outside of the store.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Azkar wrote:So taco bell packets are not ok to take?

Are you using all of those packets in the Taco Bell order that you are going to be eating on that very occasion? If not, yes, that is stealing. Every one of those packets should be consumed in that sitting
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR