Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chipotle

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is it?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes : 79

Re: Is it stealing to take the bottle of hot sauce from chip

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. You are stealing plastic cutlery from a restaurant because you are too lazy to do your own dishes at home and want to mooch free plasticware from a for-profit establishment. Technically, you are probably committing petit theft. And you both agree that there is nothing. wrong. with. it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Shaf, don't have them over for dinner.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. You are stealing plastic cutlery from a restaurant because you are too lazy to do your own dishes at home and want to mooch free plasticware from a for-profit establishment. Technically, you are probably committing petit theft. And you both agree that there is nothing. wrong. with. it.

What if I'm intending to use it on the meal I bought from them, but didnt? Did it start off as not being theft, then turn into theft?
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Azkar wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this. You are stealing plastic cutlery from a restaurant because you are too lazy to do your own dishes at home and want to mooch free plasticware from a for-profit establishment. Technically, you are probably committing petit theft. And you both agree that there is nothing. wrong. with. it.

What if I'm intending to use it on the meal I bought from them, but didnt? Did it start off as not being theft, then turn into theft?

But that's not what Dudeman said. He said point blank that he grabs a bunch of cutlery with the intent that he doesn't feel like washing his dishes at home. The example you just put is COMPLETELY different than what we were just discussing, of course there is nothing wrong with that.

Edit: If Dudeman grabbed one set of cutlery with the intent of using it on that one meal, I have no issue with that. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even have an issue if he grabbed his one set of cutlery he is entitled to with his meal, knowing he would probably just save it for later.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

seriously? I know places that automatically throw plastic forks and spoons in the bag for your to go order. I also know places that just have that stuff sitting out. Whats the difference? I'm not grabbing handfulls because Im too lazy to do dishes or dont want to buy my own silverware. How many napkins are acceptable to take?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

I always steal from For-Profit establishments

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:

seriously? I know places that automatically throw plastic forks and spoons in the bag for your to go order. I also know places that just have that stuff sitting out. Whats the difference? I'm not grabbing handfulls because Im too lazy to do dishes or dont want to buy my own silverware. How many napkins are acceptable to take?

If the worker throws them in, that's not your problem. If you grab 8 cutlery sets on your way out to hoard for future use, that is stealing.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Chipotle for dinner tonight followed by a visit to the bar!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Chipotle for dinner tonight followed by a visit to the bar!

Make sure you leave enough room in your pockets for the hot sauce and pint glasses :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Azkar wrote:

But that's not what Dudeman said. He said point blank that he grabs a bunch of cutlery with the intent that he doesn't feel like washing his dishes at home. The example you just put is COMPLETELY different than what we were just discussing, of course there is nothing wrong with that.

Edit: If Dudeman grabbed one set of cutlery with the intent of using it on that one meal, I have no issue with that. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even have an issue if he grabbed his one set of cutlery he is entitled to with his meal, knowing he would probably just save it for later.

But I said that. I said I take the cutlery for THAT meal...then said sometimes I decide not to use it. And this is a plastic freakin fork thats sitting in a tin on a counter, Im not going to feel bad for taking it regardless.

Whats your percentage of times you take a penny compared to the times you leave a penny?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:31 pm

DocEmrick wrote:I always steal from For-Profit establishments

Which is like stealing from yourself since the losses they incur get passed down to the consumer.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Just got to work after stopping at Chipotle for a breakfast burrito. Guess what condiment is now chained to the tables?

Ya just had to go and ruin it for all of us, didn't cha?
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Chipotle for dinner tonight followed by a visit to the bar!

Make sure you leave enough room in your pockets for the hot sauce and pint glasses :pop:

Everyone knows you need to wear tall boots and put the glass over the tongue, so you can conceal it with your pant leg.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Chipotle has breakfast burritos? Dont they all open at 11 with their normal.burritos?
Secondly, how do you chain down a glass bottle.
Finally, cant you still get all the sauce you want? What was ruined?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:39 pm

itissteeltime wrote:Chipotle has breakfast burritos? Dont they all open at 11 with their normal.burritos?
Secondly, how do you chain down a glass bottle.
Finally, cant you still get all the sauce you want? What was ruined?

They obviously punched a hole in the glass and put a chain link through it.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rasbatch on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

yubb wrote:

Which is like stealing from yourself since the losses they incur get passed down to the consumer.

In which case it's not stealing right?
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

rasbatch wrote:
yubb wrote:

In which case it's not stealing right?

Which means we all really own every Chipotle and can get free burritos any time we want.

Poll answered.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Pack up and go home, threads over.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Is the question in this thread "is it stealing..." or is the question "is it okay to take..." I think there's a huge difference. I've taken pint glasses, plastic glasses with logos, hell i've even stolen a steak knife before. The difference is I recognize that all of these are theft. I don't see myself as a big time criminal, but it's still stealing. The hot sauce bottles are the same way. Am I upset that you take them? No, that's your perogative, but don't try to rationalize it as not being theft. It is theft no matter how you look at it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

exactly. its stealing, and its not a big deal.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

count2infinity wrote:Is the question in this thread "is it stealing..." or is the question "is it okay to take..." I think there's a huge difference. I've taken pint glasses, plastic glasses with logos, hell i've even stolen a steak knife before. The difference is I recognize that all of these are theft. I don't see myself as a big time criminal, but it's still stealing. The hot sauce bottles are the same way. Am I upset that you take them? No, that's your perogative, but don't try to rationalize it as not being theft. It is theft no matter how you look at it.

it qualifies as "stealing" and "not ok". you can share this opinion and still be an offending party - like you with your pint glasses. you've stolen, and you've done something that was unacceptable. but it's not something to make a big deal about.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I think it's both theft and wrong to do much of what is discussed in this thread. However, taking more plastic cutlery isn't a big deal, even though it's wrong.

Taking a pint glass is worse. It's wrong and I would judge people a little more harshly for something like that, mainly because the sale value of the item is higher. Napkins and ketchup packets are pennies. Glasses, half full bottles of hot sauce and steak knives are more expensive.

We're also talking about motive. I think that's a big factor. Taking the hot sauce because you don't want to buy your own is wrong and quite pathetic. Taking four extra napkins because you don't want to run out isn't wrong.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm

yubb wrote: Taking the hot sauce because you don't want to buy your own is wrong and quite pathetic.

Should this sentence be finished with "... and you're taking more than you need to use on other products." ???

If not, I dont agree. The hot sauce is for me to use on my burrito, regardless of where I eat my burrito. Why would I buy it, if its free? That's very stupid. Should I start bringing my own sauce to chipotle?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby yubb on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Yes, I meant to insinuate you're using it on other products.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Napkins? That's a whole different thing. When I used to eat fast food frequently, I would grab an inch of napkins and store them in the glove compartment.

Never looked at that as stealing, but by this thread, I guess I was.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR