Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 am

Watched The Hunger Games.

Eh.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 am

really enjoyed Looper. it had a downtime in the 3rd qtr of the film, but all in all, totally dug JG Levitt and what they did to him to make him look and act like a young bruce willis. just fantastic in that regard.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Watched The Matrix again last night, the Subway scene is still one of the best scenes ever.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 am

Beasts of the southern wild: I didn't want to like it 20 minutes in, thought is was going to go another way, but by the end, it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Packed a very emotional punch for me, there really isn't anything better than a childs innocence, this is a very touching movie that's not real pleasant to watch at times. I think this movie will definitely be hit or miss for many, but it completely worked for me. Reminded me of some other great flicks like In America and Secret of Roan Inish.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Daniel Day Lewis initial rejection letter to Spielbergo for Lincoln

Dear Steven,

It was a real pleasure just to sit and talk with you. I listened very carefully to what you had to say about this compelling history, and I’ve since read the script and found it in all the detail in which it describes these monumental events and in the compassionate portraits of all the principal characters, both powerful and moving. I can’t account for how at any given moment I feel the need to explore life as opposed to another, but I do know that I can only do this work if I feel almost as if there is no choice; that a subject coincides inexplicably with a very personal need and a very specific moment in time. In this case, as fascinated as I was by Abe, it was the fascination of a grateful spectator who longed to see a story told, rather than that of a participant. That’s how I feel now in spite of myself, and though I can’t be sure that this won’t change, I couldn’t dream of encouraging you to keep it open on a mere possibility. I do hope this makes sense Steven, I’m glad you’re making the film, I wish you the strength for it, and I send both my very best wishes and my sincere gratitude to you for having considered me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-reveals-daniel-day-409709
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 pm

was that when DDL quit making movies? pretty rad.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 pm

canaan wrote:was that when DDL quit making movies? pretty rad.

it was some years ago, DDL was his first choice, turned it down ala above, then DDL recommended his pal Liam Neeson who was attached for a few years, then dropped out and it went back to DDL
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

eddysnake wrote:Daniel Day Lewis initial rejection letter to Spielbergo for Lincoln

Dear Steven,

It was a real pleasure just to sit and talk with you. I listened very carefully to what you had to say about this compelling history, and I’ve since read the script and found it in all the detail in which it describes these monumental events and in the compassionate portraits of all the principal characters, both powerful and moving. I can’t account for how at any given moment I feel the need to explore life as opposed to another, but I do know that I can only do this work if I feel almost as if there is no choice; that a subject coincides inexplicably with a very personal need and a very specific moment in time. In this case, as fascinated as I was by Abe, it was the fascination of a grateful spectator who longed to see a story told, rather than that of a participant. That’s how I feel now in spite of myself, and though I can’t be sure that this won’t change, I couldn’t dream of encouraging you to keep it open on a mere possibility. I do hope this makes sense Steven, I’m glad you’re making the film, I wish you the strength for it, and I send both my very best wishes and my sincere gratitude to you for having considered me.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-reveals-daniel-day-409709

Wow, what a class act. He seems so humble and self-effacing.

:thumb:

That said, I'm immensely grateful he changed his mind. His performance in "Lincoln" is among the very best I've ever seen. At no point did I ever feel like I was watching an actor playing a role......by gum, I was watching Abraham effing Lincoln on that screen. And it was amazing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:37 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Daniel Day Lewis initial rejection letter to Spielbergo for Lincoln

Dear Steven,

Wow, what a class act. He seems so humble and self-effacing.

:thumb:

That said, I'm immensely grateful he changed his mind. His performance in "Lincoln" is among the very best I've ever seen. At no point did I ever feel like I was watching an actor playing a role......by gum, I was watching Abraham effing Lincoln on that screen. And it was amazing.

it almost reads like he was in character and almost negotiating with Spielberg, basically telling him, he's the boss for this role.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:40 pm

DDL is easily one of the best actors and he doesn't need to posture himself to land a role. I read that as a professional feeling as though he may not be best suited for the role.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Credit to Spielberg for knowing DDL was the guy -- I had no idea the movie went through several re-writes in attempt to get him on board, but it was definitely worth it (not that the script was the reason he didn't do it in the first place).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 pm

He didn't work enough. The ability is unquestionable but when I think of "Great Actors" He is outside my top 5 because he just didn't do enough.

Last of the Mohicans, Gangs of New York, There Will Be Blood.... Amazing Flicks
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Love "Mohicans", still my favorite Michael Mann movie.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Godric wrote:He didn't work enough. The ability is unquestionable but when I think of "Great Actors" He is outside my top 5 because he just didn't do enough.

Quality over quantity
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Godric wrote:He didn't work enough. The ability is unquestionable but when I think of "Great Actors" He is outside my top 5 because he just didn't do enough.

Last of the Mohicans is my favorite, but

the boxer, in the name of the father, my left foot, and age of innocence

are all very top notch
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

eddysnake wrote:Beasts of the southern wild

Definitely looking forward to this one.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Re-reading the Hobbit right now, I'm impressed by 2 things...

1. How closely the movie stuck to the book
2. The entire first movie only covers about 120 pages out of the book, yet didn't feel like they were padding at all

I was also unaware that there are apparently people trying to compare Radagast to Jar Jar Binks... which just about breaks my brain.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 am

The Impossible was really good. Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year (meaning 2012). The initial tsunami scene I think was even more well done that the initial disaster in "Flight" -- so intense. But really touching movie.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tomas on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 am

Compliance:

A truly thought-provoking independent thriller about how susceptible one can be to the abuse by the authorities.

I'm glad I saw that. And I will never watch it again.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:38 am

the wicked child wrote:Re-reading the Hobbit right now, I'm impressed by 2 things...

1. How closely the movie stuck to the book
2. The entire first movie only covers about 120 pages out of the book, yet didn't feel like they were padding at all

I was also unaware that there are apparently people trying to compare Radagast to Jar Jar Binks... which just about breaks my brain.

Jar-Jar Binks is to Star Wars what Adolf Eichmann is to the Second World War.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Beasts of the southern wild

Definitely looking forward to this one.

the little girl just got nominated for an oscar (youngest ever), it got a nom for best picture as well. Don't wait to see it, such a breath of fresh air.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Well I'm gonna give it a couple weeks on netflix, as free is always preferable, but if it's still a long wait I'm just gonna rent it off Prime.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Also, saw a preview for this before The Impossible last night. Man, what a weird looking movie.

meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Also saw most of The Raid: Redemption, where the hell did this movie come from? So intense!

I've had that lying around for a month, never got around to watching it. Just watched it tonight, and am in agreement. -- great action flick.

I was just reading about the sequel going into production.

Apparently, it is more like the movie the writer/director originally wanted to make, but couldnt for budgetary reasons. It will pick up right after The Raid with corruption the larger world outside that ghetto.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Also, saw a preview for this before The Impossible last night. Man, what a weird looking movie.

definitely weird. and kidman is hard to look at.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR