HNIC director comes to Root!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: HNIC director comes to Root!

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:40 am

you only need 1 camera during live play. i don't see why anyone would really want additional angles.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

shmenguin wrote:you only need 1 camera during live play. i don't see why anyone would really want additional angles.

Maybe a higher angle, so you can see nearly the whole ice and be better able to see things develop. Or an endzone camera behind the goalie or over the redline at center ice during a power player. NBC's star camera is pretty cool when it follows a specific player around.

Those are things some broadcasters do but you don't really get a choice which one you'd like to see.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:02 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:you only need 1 camera during live play. i don't see why anyone would really want additional angles.

Maybe a higher angle, so you can see nearly the whole ice and be better able to see things develop. Or an endzone camera behind the goalie or over the redline at center ice during a power player. NBC's star camera is pretty cool when it follows a specific player around.

Those are things some broadcasters do but you don't really get a choice which one you'd like to see.

yeah - the higher angle is a big plus. i've mentioned this a bunch of times, but HDNet used to broadcast hockey games once a week or so. from a technical standpoint, i've never seen anything even close to that quality. high camera, and perfect mic placement.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 am

FoxTrax Puck!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby beLIEve on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am

shmenguin wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:

yeah - the higher angle is a big plus. i've mentioned this a bunch of times, but HDNet used to broadcast hockey games once a week or so. from a technical standpoint, i've never seen anything even close to that quality. high camera, and perfect mic placement.

The mellon had nice high cameras that were above section D and below the old luxury boxes. Unfortunately, the new cameras are quite lower than that (which isn't nearly as much of a problem as the zooming in and out they do from this level).

And agreed that there is no need for additional angles during live play, though I'm one of the few I think that likes the behind the net view for a power play. But thats mostly because it shows the whole zone. I could certainly do without it if the standard side view was wider.

I'd love it if they just went to a 1 high camera system for live play. No changing of zoom. And the camera really only ever needs to be in 3 stationary positions (each of the 3 zones of play). Isn't the ultimate goal, after all, to make you feel like you're there at the game? Thats how I'd watch the game live.

Then, when you need to replay something, zoom and use all of the angles you want to catch the little nuances in slow motion.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

Admin wrote:FoxTrax Puck!

Perhaps they could put some kind of chip inside the goal so they can do this after a particularly wicked shot Image

or this after a great save
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OutofFoil on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

Helmet Cam! You could watch Ovi consciously look at and line up victims from all the way across the ice! Or see a player focus in a pass coming in for a one timer. Not to good in game, but imagine the replays!
Last edited by OutofFoil on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am

seems simple, but...

1) producers are hired that don't know hockey
2) hockey broadcasts aren't their endgame - since it's relatively small potatoes. which brings us to...
3) a single, stationary camera is superior, but it doesn't look that impressive in your next job interview
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 pm

How will I ever know when a team is pulling their goaltender?
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Steve Mears has been getting some national exposure. He'll probably replace Steiggy at some point, if they can keep him around.

Do you think we'll see female play-by-play announcers in NHL games in our lifetime?

I hope not. I honestly don't think I could listen to a woman talk over a 2.5 hour period. After a while the higher pitched voice seems to start driving me insane.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Bowser wrote:My kids could be better than Milbury and McGuire, they are 3 and 6.

Your kids or Milbury and McGuire? :lol:
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Steve Mears has been getting some national exposure. He'll probably replace Steiggy at some point, if they can keep him around.

Do you think we'll see female play-by-play announcers in NHL games in our lifetime?

I'm fine with that.

We don't have to hear them though, do we?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Because this is the MTV generation. Attention spans like gnats.

Watch a TV program, or most movies made today.

Almost entirely comprised of short-duration shots. Constantly switching those short-duration shots. Never hold the camera on a still shot for longer than 5 seconds.

Then watch an old movie or TV program. Almost entirely comprised of set, still, long-duration shots. Only occasionally switching to different angles, when necessary to tell the story (such as a closeup on a "clue" on the floor, or a detail on that mess of papers on the desk).

It's happened to sports as well. I mean, do you think it's a waste to get goalie-jockstrap cam? How about nosehair cam for the coach on the bench? What about closeups of some fat drunk making a fool of himself in the stands because another grown man put a small disc into a net? Perhaps a shot of the trainer taping some guys stick?

Dozens and dozens of these shots need to be crammed into every 3:00 to 6:00 minute stretches of the game between commercial breaks. So you can imagine why every now and then, they might miss some of that tangential stuff like a faceoff, a scored goal, a key penalty call.

Par for teh course.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jprolley on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

less crowd shots please. obviously the pens are playing at home. i don't need a close-up of 4 people yelling lets go pens into the camera.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Noise on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

I want them to bring the MST3K crew.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Noise on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 pm

penmyst wrote:

Because this is the MTV generation. Attention spans like gnats.

Watch a TV program, or most movies made today.

Almost entirely comprised of short-duration shots. Constantly switching those short-duration shots. Never hold the camera on a still shot for longer than 5 seconds.

Then watch an old movie or TV program. Almost entirely comprised of set, still, long-duration shots. Only occasionally switching to different angles, when necessary to tell the story (such as a closeup on a "clue" on the floor, or a detail on that mess of papers on the desk).

It's happened to sports as well. I mean, do you think it's a waste to get goalie-jockstrap cam? How about nosehair cam for the coach on the bench? What about closeups of some fat drunk making a fool of himself in the stands because another grown man put a small disc into a net? Perhaps a shot of the trainer taping some guys stick?

Dozens and dozens of these shots need to be crammed into every 3:00 to 6:00 minute stretches of the game between commercial breaks. So you can imagine why every now and then, they might miss some of that tangential stuff like a faceoff, a scored goal, a key penalty call.

Par for teh course.

I can't watch a lot of new action films because of that. The new Sherlock Holmes movie moved so fast I couldn't stand it.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penmyst on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 am

Noise wrote:I can't watch a lot of new action films because of that. The new Sherlock Holmes movie moved so fast I couldn't stand it.

It isn't just that I cannot stand it, but it fkn confuses me.

Is that what the director is going for? To confuse his audience?

I don't want you to take it slow like I'm a 3rd grader whom you need to verbally explain every bit as well as show me pictures.

But for goodness' sake, stop with the pointless "shaky cam", incessant angle switching, needless closeups, etc. It doesn't excite, thrill, or impress me. It confuses me. Like Hulk, it makes me want to SMASH the camera over their head.

I don't want to even get started on this ridiculous phenomenon of "ANNNNNND WE'RE WALKING! WE'RE TALKING!! WE ARE SO IMPORTANT WE CANNOT HAVE THIS DISCUSSION STANDING AND FACING EACH OTHER LIKE TWO ADULTS! LET'S CARRY ON THIS VERY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION AS WE WALK TO THE NEXT STILTED AND JITTERY SCENE IN 3, 2, 1..."
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:22 am

Yeesh
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:07 pm

All time favorite HNIC CBC Production is right here.

Spoiler....it ends well for us. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5dl-NciZU
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby beLIEve on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

I guess I got my hopes up a little too much about the new director of Root broadcasts. The live feed was as bad as it has been the last couple of years.
-Constant zooming in and zooming out, which causes the camera to have to lash around frantically to try to find the puck. I actually start to get motion sick from all of the zooming in out in out.
-Attempting to get close up shots of certain plays while missing key things going on in other areas of the ice.
-Corner boards cam on the Datsyuk style toe drag that was completely missed when it was live.

Please just give us a nice high camera that slowly moves between the 3 zones as play does with little to no zooming. Please. Save all of the fancy close ups for replays.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am

beLIEve wrote:I guess I got my hopes up a little too much about the new director of Root broadcasts. The live feed was as bad as it has been the last couple of years.
-Constant zooming in and zooming out, which causes the camera to have to lash around frantically to try to find the puck. I actually start to get motion sick from all of the zooming in out in out.
-Attempting to get close up shots of certain plays while missing key things going on in other areas of the ice.
-Corner boards cam on the Datsyuk style toe drag that was completely missed when it was live.

Please just give us a nice high camera that slowly moves between the 3 zones as play does with little to no zooming. Please. Save all of the fancy close ups for replays.

A director can only do so much... you've got to have the supporting cast to make a great broadcast. That's why, in my opinion, CBC is the gold standard in hockey broadcasting. Their camera men are terrific, their analysts/personalities are knowledgable, and their announcers & colour guys - for the most part - are very good.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:12 am

there has to be one guy ultimately responsible for when they switch camera angles. if it's the same guy as last year, the broadcast is going to still suck, even if steven speilberg is handling everything else.

this is literally the only thing that matters to me regarding the broadcast - and they'll probably still blow it
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:15 am

shmenguin wrote:there has to be one guy ultimately responsible for when they switch camera angles. if it's the same guy as last year, the broadcast is going to still suck, even if steven speilberg is handling everything else.

this is literally the only thing that matters to me regarding the broadcast - and they'll probably still blow it

The thing I can't get over watching feeds on Center Ice and Gamecenter Live is how many regular broadcast crews (camera operators) still have trouble following the puck. Pretty sure losing track of it once is enough to get you canned from the HNIC crew.

I understand that hockey is a fast-paced game, but following the play is a pretty critical part of broadcasting. (I do find the ROOT Pit crew does a good enough job in this area, it's just some... or a lot... of other things that bring them down.)
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 am

i'm ok with losing the puck and other honest mistakes. i'm also ok with their bad audio and everything else...but don't switch the camera when there's something going on. stop it. no one likes it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beLIEve on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

The thing is, they don't need to lose the puck if they just keep the zoom at a level where you can see the entire zone that the puck is in. Its their love of zoom that has them thrashing the camera around in an attempt to find the puck.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins