Pretty impressive list of promos and prizes

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pretty impressive list of promos and prizes

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Eismann wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:
netwolf wrote:They have the equivalent of what? 16K season tickets sold? They don't need to offer anything to get people back in the building; it's largely filled already. IMO, this is a pretty nice move that they clearly didn't NEED to do. Good on them.

My points exactly

Clearly, the team ownership thinks differently.

"However, now that the NHL is back, we want to assure you that the Pittsburgh Penguins will do everything we can to regain your trust and show how much we value your amazing support."

Smart business people. It's not just about getting people in the building.

I think they were agreeing with you.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 pm

LOL yeah I don't know how people think im not supporting the pens here?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 pm

netwolf said basically the same thing he did...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:25 am

MRandall25 wrote:netwolf said basically the same thing he did...

No, he said that they dont need to make these moves. I'm saying that they do. The pens will get attendance, but these moves are part of broader branding to repair image damage that they acknowledge is there.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 am

Yeah, had they not stumbled in the playoffs the last few years, they wouldn't need it, but they were hurting before the lockout even happened. They may have seats sold and a pretty safe guarantee that they have seats sold for many seasons, but they need to reestablish good faith. There are a lot of people that are going to still be going to teh games and buying nothing. They'll still get my beer money no matter what though. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, had they not stumbled in the playoffs the last few years, they wouldn't need it, but they were hurting before the lockout even happened. They may have seats sold and a pretty safe guarantee that they have seats sold for many seasons, but they need to reestablish good faith. There are a lot of people that are going to still be going to teh games and buying nothing. They'll still get my beer money no matter what though. :pop:

Plus, there are way more people who don't go to games but are also their customers. They watch the games on TV (money) and buy merch (money) and talk about the team with others (money).

This goes far beyond the gates and is why the league appears to be making these kinds of actions a priority.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah, had they not stumbled in the playoffs the last few years, they wouldn't need it, but they were hurting before the lockout even happened. They may have seats sold and a pretty safe guarantee that they have seats sold for many seasons, but they need to reestablish good faith. There are a lot of people that are going to still be going to teh games and buying nothing. They'll still get my beer money no matter what though. :pop:

I personally think pricing is what was killing them last year, not just he playoff losses, especially their downturn in playoff sales, if people remember the increase last year for playoffs was ballsy to say the least (they offered us season holders the chance to buy more playoffs for the first time since I can remember, which leads me to thinking their sales were way way way down), thats mostly why I notice the cut backs, my opinion was it was just straight up about their balance sheet not being what they expected a few years into a new building.

Coming out of the lockout and in general I think they need to step it up a bit, all teams I have read about have done something for their fans. Most are prettey simple but at least their are gestures. Hopefully less players salaries with the new CBA saves the Pens the $5 million they need to keep fielding a competitive squad while making a few dollars.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

Meh, how about I get a refund for the games missed this season instead of it credited towards my season tickets next year?

I see the bigger picture, the Pens don't have to be one of the teams doing this, but it's nice for the bandwagon/fair weathered fans to bring them back. I don't know if it will do any good in long-term image reparation. If every 7 years we have a 48 game season or no season, the NHL will eventually fold and a new entity will be born.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

Well yeah, they kept increasing their ticket prices and they found the breaking point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beLIEve on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 am

DocEmrick wrote:Meh, how about I get a refund for the games missed this season instead of it credited towards my season tickets next year?

You have access to any excess money in your season ticket holder account at any time. All you have to do is request it and they'll send it to you.
beLIEve
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 am

I don't think they NEED to do this, but I think it is a great move that they are doing this. Just my opinion.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am

Let me preface this by saying I agree with what others have said on here - this is a nice gesture and the Pens do not need to do this. That said....

*Tin Foil Hat Conspiracy*

I wonder how the Pens/whoever the concession vendor is (I forget - not Aramark anymore, right?) - did they literally have thousands of old hot dogs that they needed to get rid of because of cancelled games, and they are parlaying that into good customer relations? I would think they only procure in a few batches through the season and it stays frozen until they need it - and some of the concessions wouldn't have a 'shelf life' per se.

Also, I remember getting emails from the Pens during the lockout with discounted merch shopping at the various local outlets - obviously they (the shops) were feeling the lack of revenue.... Even at 50% off, is there still likely a profit margin for them?

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT... just a curious skeptical thinking exercise... :)

Lastly, this would be even better if they would have ushers bring you the free concessions while still in your seats... 'Geeves, fetch me my nachos!"
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jasonpens on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm all for the free food. In fact I created a thread about it when the promotions first came out yesterday. But I can't imagine that the free concessions are being well received at local businesses like Pizza Milano's, TGI Fridays, etc. I know a lot of people go to the 5th Ave. establishments to drink before/after the games, but a lot of people grab pregame meals there too. So I'm betting those places aren't too happy with the Pens giving food away whenever these places make much of their business off it.
jasonpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby demondg1 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 pm

jasonpens wrote:I'm all for the free food. In fact I created a thread about it when the promotions first came out yesterday. But I can't imagine that the free concessions are being well received at local businesses like Pizza Milano's, TGI Fridays, etc. I know a lot of people go to the 5th Ave. establishments to drink before/after the games, but a lot of people grab pregame meals there too. So I'm betting those places aren't too happy with the Pens giving food away whenever these places make much of their business off it.

I've got to believe most of the money earned at the business around the CEC on game nights is on beer and alcohol sales. I really don't think the free food give a ways will have any real effect on them.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

demondg1 wrote:
jasonpens wrote:I'm all for the free food. In fact I created a thread about it when the promotions first came out yesterday. But I can't imagine that the free concessions are being well received at local businesses like Pizza Milano's, TGI Fridays, etc. I know a lot of people go to the 5th Ave. establishments to drink before/after the games, but a lot of people grab pregame meals there too. So I'm betting those places aren't too happy with the Pens giving food away whenever these places make much of their business off it.

I've got to believe most of the money earned at the business around the CEC on game nights is on beer and alcohol sales. I really don't think the free food give a ways will have any real effect on them.

Neither do I. Folks who'll take advantage of the free food will be the ones that usually eat there anyway. Folks that prefer to eat out before the game more than likely won't (take advantage of the offer).
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SpinnerSpencer on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Promos are a nice gesture. But how about getting some home games scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays.
SpinnerSpencer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah I see your point but a couple of free hot dogs probably doesn't hurt them much. People like me will still go eat dinner and drink someplace else until 10 minutes before the game. It might take some sales I guess but probably not much.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jasonpens on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 pm

SpinnerSpencer wrote:Promos are a nice gesture. But how about getting some home games scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays.

LIKE X 1,0000000000000000000000000000000000000
jasonpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Eismann wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:netwolf said basically the same thing he did...

No, he said that they dont need to make these moves. I'm saying that they do. The pens will get attendance, but these moves are part of broader branding to repair image damage that they acknowledge is there.

I don't doubt there are some bad feelings out there that need soothing, but the Pens only had 45 people cancel their season seats during the lockout. They have a waiting list of ~9500. They would never say it, but on a strictly-business level, I doubt they aren't that concerned about longterm damage.

Maybe they needed to make these moves from the PR standpoint that if they didn't, they'd basically be saying "we aaren't worried," and they'd catch all kinds of crap for it, but that's about it.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:24 pm

SpinnerSpencer wrote:Promos are a nice gesture. But how about getting some home games scheduled for Saturdays and Sundays.

The league is reserving those for places that dont like hockey. Long Island, Newark, South Florida. They continue with a wonderful business model.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I'd like the trip to NYC and Madison Square please. I would be a great away fan. :D

Let the pens administration folks get the schedule first; I imagine they will have more freebies as the season goes along.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:50 am

Hey STH im willing to offer some cash and postage paid for the travel mug March 12 vs Boston. Also the Jersey Lunch Tote March 19 vs Washington.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins