Trouble in Steubenville...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trouble in Steubenville...

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IamtheWaris on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 pm

I am not defending anyone but I am wondering when people say they have not done their job, what do people want them to do? Aren't two kids being held for trial trial in February?

I agree that Mike guy in the video is an absolute sleezeball and has done more punishment to himself than the law could ever do but I'm not sure what he could be charged with.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:I am not defending anyone but I am wondering when people say they have not done their job, what do people want them to do? Aren't two kids being held for trial trial in February?

I agree that Mike guy in the video is an absolute sleezeball and has done more punishment to himself than the law could ever do but I'm not sure what he could be charged with.

No, the sheriff is repeatedly threatening the people who are bringing this case to light, and defending the actual criminals.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:I am not defending anyone but I am wondering when people say they have not done their job, what do people want them to do? Aren't two kids being held for trial trial in February?

Mac is absolutely right. These goes beyond the 2 kids who are charged. One other kid that we know of, Cody Saltsman was charged and Anon found word of a backroom meeting with the sherrif, prosecutor, etc and the charges were then dropped. I am not sure of the exact details, but there are a lot of relationships between some of these players families, the DA, the PD...(so and so is this persons cousin. This person is related to this person type stuff) and its pretty suspicious of why more intividuals arent charged. Esp when these kids openly refered to themselves as "rape crew." There is A LOT of covering up going on what is ticking people off is the more that comes out (thanks to Anonymous and knightsec) the more the Sherrif and officials are going on the offensive against Anon and fighting back against them instead of using that evidence to investigate.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Not to mention there was an April rape at a party, that the kid mentions in the video that was reported but basically never investigated. That party was at a coach's home.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IamtheWaris on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:34 pm

mac5155 wrote:

No, the sheriff is repeatedly threatening the people who are bringing this case to light, and defending the actual criminals.

To me that is just the sheriff being a POS more than anything. I understand the and agree with outrage at the police department and the entire "Big Red" crew but in terms of legal discourse I don't know specifically who else people want charged. Again I am not defending anyone just trying to figure it out as I am not as up to speed on the situation as many others. Thanks
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

To me that is just the sheriff being a POS more than anything. I understand the and agree with outrage at the police department and the entire "Big Red" crew but in terms of legal discourse I don't know specifically who else people want charged. Again I am not defending anyone just trying to figure it out as I am not as up to speed on the situation as many others. Thanks

Yeah, he is a POS. Which is why I'm saying if he'd simply do his job instead of try and protect a reputation, his family wouldn't receive these threats. These aren't people that make threats for fun or enjoyment. They are doing it to try and get the sheriff to do something about the rapes.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:There is A LOT of covering up going on what is ticking people off is the more that comes out (thanks to Anonymous and knightsec) the more the Sherrif and officials are going on the offensive against Anon and fighting back against them instead of using that evidence to investigate.

If the evidence was brought to light via criminal activity (e.g. Anon hacking) then it might not be admissible in court.

Presumably Anon is disclosing this information in the hopes that the police will act on it. I think that means a prospective defendant would have a pretty decent case that Anon was then effectively acting as an agent of the state, whether or not the state actively engaged them, which means they would be bound to substantially the same rules of evidence as the police and prosecuting attorney would be.

I'm sure one of our in-house attorneys could explain it better (or refute what I said outright), but I believe this called the "silver platter" rule.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:24 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:There is A LOT of covering up going on what is ticking people off is the more that comes out (thanks to Anonymous and knightsec) the more the Sherrif and officials are going on the offensive against Anon and fighting back against them instead of using that evidence to investigate.

If the evidence was brought to light via criminal activity (e.g. Anon hacking) then it might not be admissible in court.

Presumably Anon is disclosing this information in the hopes that the police will act on it. I think that means a prospective defendant would have a pretty decent case that Anon was then effectively acting as an agent of the state, whether or not the state actively engaged them, which means they would be bound to substantially the same rules of evidence as the police and prosecuting attorney would be.

I'm sure one of our in-house attorneys could explain it better (or refute what I said outright), but I believe this called the "silver platter" rule.

That is a concern, however much of this stuff was gathered from deleted tweets and photos posted on social media. Those kids put that out there first.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm not sure what the current case law is, but if they've deleted the tweets/status updates and Anon recovered the data from the suspect's computer (as opposed to something like a cached version of those social media sites), then I think that's still silver platter territory.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SirMario66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Every tweet is stored in some database and is never completely erased. I think the government always has access even if you delete it
SirMario66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Library of Congress keeps an archive of all tweets. Great huh?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:44 pm

For what its worth the KYAnonymous that is at the forfront of this claims he has a criminal justice degree and has gone over piece by piece in interviews of what he is doing and why it is all legal. He does seems to have a working knowledge of it.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm

What was the resolution of this?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:What was the resolution of this?

http://m.globalgrind.com/news/petition- ... se-details

Google
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:00 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ayers.html

This made Drudge. Not affirmatively saying no = consent says the defense. Sounds legit :face:
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Trial is underway. I come thru Steubenville to get to Pittsburgh and it was a mob scene today at the jail/courthouse. This was even one of the top headlines on msn.com homepage
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:02 pm

It was on some news show last night at 7ish. Inside edition or something.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291926/She-didnt-affirmatively-say-Silence-means-consent-according-defense-Ohio-high-school-rape-trial-passed-drunken-teenage-girl-sexually-assaulted-multiple-football-players.html

This made Drudge. Not affirmatively saying no = consent says the defense. Sounds legit :face:

I saw that yesterday, to say I was disgusted, would be an understatement. What I really wanted to know is how come I can get better coverage of this story from a British newspaper than from papers here when I live less than 50 miles from Weirton/Steubenville
Last edited by stopper40 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 pm

http://gma.yahoo.com/steubenville-rape- ... ories.html

When the trial commences Wednesday, there will be no jury involved. Instead, a juvenile judge will decide the fates of Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond, who face incarceration in a detention center until their 21st birthdays and the almost-certain demise of their dreams of playing football.

No one seems to get it. Not even the media.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Haha, poor kids. Now they won't be able to play football. Rats.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm

a cautionary tale for teenagers living in today's digital world.

"It's ok to rape, just dont brag about it on social media!!"
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Reporter from inside the courtroom just tweeted that a new piece of evidence was addressed today that wasnt before. They have a photograph of the girl naked from the waist down, and both defendents, one of whom is also naked from the waste down. Ruh-roh.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:24 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Reporter from inside the courtroom just tweeted that a new piece of evidence was addressed today that wasnt before. They have a photograph of the girl naked from the waist down, and both defendents, one of whom is also naked from the waste down. Ruh-roh.

But but but she didn't say no.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR