Taken with healthy grain of salt

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Taken with healthy grain of salt

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am

littlemoonboot wrote:People really shouldn't waste their time posting or reading anything "HockeyyInsiderr" tweets. He's been proven to be a fraud. Posting anything from that twitter on this board is like taking a crap in public.

:thumb:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 am

How about someone like Niklas Hagman on Malkins LW?

Hagman - Malkin - Neal

He is fairly good, and should not be that expensive I think?

He have four 20+ goal seasons in the NHL.
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Froggy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 pm

malone would not be on our top pp unit. he just wouldn't. he would be an asset on the PK, but that's not particularly special. And his even strength scoring is subpar for a top 6 winger. I don't see any reason to want him back in this line up, especially at $4.5 mil. even for a year or 2. I remember everyone hating malone until he left, and then he was some sort of missing piece.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Malone, Letang. I don't see who would bump any of them. If Malone were added to this roster, he'd have to be on the top unit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

The more I read this thread, the more I like Kennedy on the Malkin line. If someone can teach him to pass his speed and gain-the-zone mentality is better than anyone I've seen mentioned here.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:20 pm

And to put the puck on net consistently.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Froggy wrote:malone would not be on our top pp unit. he just wouldn't. he would be an asset on the PK, but that's not particularly special. And his even strength scoring is subpar for a top 6 winger. I don't see any reason to want him back in this line up, especially at $4.5 mil. even for a year or 2. I remember everyone hating malone until he left, and then he was some sort of missing piece.

i guess the idea would be that he could still be an enabler of offense, even if he wasn't going to put up good numbers - like the typical version of dupuis.

i agree that he wouldn't be on the top unit PP - at least not until it starts struggling and they need to change things up. kunitz was very affective in front of the net last year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Malkin, Crosby, Neal, Malone, Letang. I don't see who would bump any of them. If Malone were added to this roster, he'd have to be on the top unit.

They'd have to go to two power play units, which opens up a whole new can of worms there. If they were to do that, adding Gonchar rather than Malone would make more sense. If Gonch played with Engelland at even strength, the pairing might work if he had a reduced role, but he would certainly be an asset on the first power play unit.

Gonch - Niskanen - Sid - Neal - Kunitz

Letang - Malkin - Sutter - Kennedy - Dupuis

...or something to that effect. Point is, there just aren't enough able-bodied players who can play the point (and Paul Martin does not count, that's not a knock on him per se but the power play is not his strength). I don't think this spreads the talent too thin, and you wouldn't have a first unit or a second unit but two first units, so to speak. Just a thought. IMO this would be harder to both plan for and to defend.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Why would they need to go with 2 units? If they're going to go with 2 units, just keep rolling lines, don't bother using 4 forwards. The point of the powerplay is to maximize your man advantage by getting multiple people on the ice that would otherwise basically get double teamed. If you're not using that advantage, just keep rolling lines rather than screwing up the line rotation.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Why would they need to go with 2 units? If they're going to go with 2 units, just keep rolling lines, don't bother using 4 forwards. The point of the powerplay is to maximize your man advantage by getting multiple people on the ice that would otherwise basically get double teamed. If you're not using that advantage, just keep rolling lines rather than screwing up the line rotation.

I was only saying that if they wanted to go to two units, they could, but only if they acquired another player who could man the point. Malone is not needed unless Kunitz or Neal get hurt. There's enough talent there that Bylsma could experiment with this if he wanted to.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Malkin and Neal were 1-2 in shots on goal in the entire league. The last thing they need in a linemate is a shooter.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

netwolf wrote:Malkin and Neal were 1-2 in shots on goal in the entire league. The last thing they need in a linemate is a shooter.

I don't think Marc Savard is playing anywhere.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins