When will we see Beau Bennett?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When will we see Beau Bennett

Opening Night, Baby!
31%
Later This Season
36%
Next Season
26%
NEVER
7%

Total votes : 70

Re: When will we see Beau Bennett?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am

Its not one or the other. Bennett has nothing to do with my post. People need to get over this imagined slight to Tangradi though. He has been given more opportunities than he has earned.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am

Apparently he has the flu right now. Hope he can recover enough by camp time.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Its not one or the other. Bennett has nothing to do with my post. People need to get over this imagined slight to Tangradi though. He has been given more opportunities than he has earned.

This thread is about Bennett, I was sharing my opinion on him and contrasting it to your comments re ET. I'm not imagining or insinuating a slight to Tangradi, simply saying (regardless of player) a few games gives a more informed basis upon which to make a long term decision. In this instance the player in question was once a highly regarded prospect who is yet to play a whole game in the top 6, and I would like to see what he could do in 2-5 games before we jettison him into orbit.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 am

tangradi was on a line with comrie and the worst version of malkin that we've ever seen. that stretch was evidence that he isn't top 6 material, but given the context, it's hardly proof.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

Luckybreak wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Its not one or the other. Bennett has nothing to do with my post. People need to get over this imagined slight to Tangradi though. He has been given more opportunities than he has earned.

This thread is about Bennett, I was sharing my opinion on him and contrasting it to your comments re ET. I'm not imagining or insinuating a slight to Tangradi, simply saying (regardless of player) a few games gives a more informed basis upon which to make a long term decision. In this instance the player in question was once a highly regarded prospect who is yet to play a whole game in the top 6, and I would like to see what he could do in 2-5 games before we jettison him into orbit.

Gonna be waiting till next year then. If he continues to be too much of a detriment to leave up there for a game(or games) at a time, they can't afford to wait it out in this shortened season. They couldn't even do it with Staal on Malkin's line(or vice versa) when they didn't score a goal after 2 shifts, so I don't see it happening.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

Gonna be waiting till next year then. If he continues to be too much of a detriment to leave up there for a game(or games) at a time, they can't afford to wait it out in this shortened season. They couldn't even do it with Staal on Malkin's line(or vice versa) when they didn't score a goal after 2 shifts, so I don't see it happening.

His -9 in WBS is concerning, and yes the shortened timeframe will be an issue, though I think players need a few practices and games to see if they 'click', and a shift to shift merry-go-round on Malkin's wing won't help anyone. I understand Tangradi's limitations but don't think TK is the answer, and would like to see BB with Sid eventually.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Luckybreak wrote:...and yes the shortened timeframe will be an issue, though I think players need a few practices and games to see if they 'click', and a shift to shift merry-go-round on Malkin's wing won't help anyone

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I thought it was intriguing that Sutter tapped in a goal on a perfect pass from Neal yesterday - sometimes chemistry is instant. Maybe we'll see Sutter getting considerable minutes on Geno's line.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:...and yes the shortened timeframe will be an issue, though I think players need a few practices and games to see if they 'click', and a shift to shift merry-go-round on Malkin's wing won't help anyone

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I thought it was intriguing that Sutter tapped in a goal on a perfect pass from Neal yesterday - sometimes chemistry is instant. Maybe we'll see Sutter getting considerable minutes on Geno's line.

Sutter has more talent than the Canes let him use. I really think the fans are going to be quite surprised with the "junk" we got for Staal.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

I don't think anyone thinks that way.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Basically any PR thread will eventually turn into a debate about one of Martin, Tangradi, or Kennedy
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Basically any PR thread will eventually turn into a debate about one of Martin, Tangradi, or Kennedy

Eventually?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:07 pm

So how long until Bylsma ruins Bennett?

The Penguins have worked with Bennett on adapting to their up-tempo system. Bennett has a tendency to slow down the play, taking advantage of his ability to see the ice.

Nothing in coach Dan Bylsma‘s system is based on slowing down the play.

“They‘ve made it pretty clear to me that Pittsburgh Penguins hockey is all about north and south,” Bennett said. “That‘s been a change for me a little bit, but I‘m getting used to it, and I have a pretty good idea of what they want out of me.”

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/325 ... z2Hbf9TbPW

:pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RPKJr429 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 pm

I forgot that Sid had practice time with Bennett. Kinda weird to read Tangradi talk him up so much when they're both fighting for roster spots.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 pm

So you'd say "No, I think he sucks, and I'm way better than that scrub" in order to try and win a spot on the roster?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RPKJr429 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 am

Yes. It's obvious that playing the game of hockey has let him down, why not try something new.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 am

Is Tangradi fighting for a roster spot? It seems pretty likely that he'll be on the team in some regard. I don't think Bennett making the roster would preclude Tangradi from making it. At the same time, they're teammates, they should be backing eachother up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:42 pm

Will be interesting to see. 12 forwards + 6 defensemen + 2 goalies = 20 on the roster

That leaves Tangradi, Bennett, Bortuzzo, Strait, Despres to compete for 3 spots.

I guess Tangradi and Bortuzzo make it, with a competition between Bennett and Despres for the final spot.Pens brass ultimately decides to send them both back down and keeps Strait around as a #8.

Ideally, I'd like to see Lovejoy moved, and Bennett make the team for a 5 game tryout.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm not even sure Despres will be up here next week. He's struggled recently, even being a healthy scratch.

The tryout rule is with regards to junior players. Bennett has already turned pro. Pens can recall/demote him as needed, no limitations.

By all accounts I've read, Bortuzzo has been WBs best dman. I would like to see him get a look up here. I believe both he and Strait are waiver-eligible as well. They'd have to clear to go back to WB, assuming nothing changed in the CBA.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:31 pm

Tangradi Bortuzzo and Strait will make it due to waivers I reckon
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm

No one's mentioned much about Morrow, who almost made the team last season. Any idea if he's getting a tryout?

Also, I thought Megna was injured... but glad to see he's back. I wonder if we'll be seeing him at camp... And Vellieux gets assigned to Wheeling?

Looks like the lack of forward talent in the organization's pipeline is on full display in WBS.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Bortuzzo and Strait are the only D-men from WB/S coming to camp. Morrow will benefit more from playing top minutes in WB/S
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Like Despres, Morrow (as well as Dumoulin) has had his struggles. All 3 have had their share and have been healthy scratches at some point. Not that unexpected from a 2nd year pro and two 1st year guys though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Bennett, Bortuzzo, and Strait are all playing tonight for WBS, Tangradi is not. Weren't they all supposed to be in Pittsburgh by now?

Just noticed DEspres isn't playing either.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Some teams have some guys playing tonight...Devils main camp guys are in tonight for Albany, minus Larsson, for instance. I'm a tiny bit surprised, but given the proximity of the affiliate to the parent club, it's not a huge deal I don't think...

I would guess the first day or two of most camps will be fitness related. Players that were playing all this time don't need it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:44 pm

One of the local guys (I want to say Yohe, but not sure) said Despres and Tangradi were either on their way to Pittsburgh or already here.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins