Gonchar may be coming back

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gonchar may be coming back

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 am

pens_CT wrote:The Pens were tied for 5th last year in the NHL on the PP, and accomplished this without Crosby for most of the year. So why do we need Gonchar whose main value is running the PP?

Steve Sullivan had more to do with that then most people want to admit and he is now gone. Yes it was Malkin and Neal racking up the goals on the PP, but Sullivan was a solid "Gonchar fill in".
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 am

Steve Sullivan's RH presence on the left side of the ice and James Neal's emergence as a Penguin were the two biggest changes to the Penguin power play. Before they boosted the unit to 5th in the league, the best a Bylsma-run PP had done was 19th, and that was WITH 87 & 71.

If it turns out that Neal was the bigger part of the success, then they should be okay, but if it turns out it was Sullivan's presence not allowing the PKers to ignore half of the rink anymore, they'll struggle again. Letang is the obvious candidate to step up on that side, but I wonder if Niskanen or even Sutter might get a look over there at some point. You can't afford to let things work themselves out in a short season, so I expect we'll see some things you might not normally see.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 am

netwolf wrote:Steve Sullivan's RH presence on the left side of the ice and James Neal's emergence as a Penguin were the two biggest changes to the Penguin power play. Before they boosted the unit to 5th in the league, the best a Bylsma-run PP had done was 19th, and that was WITH 87 & 71.

If it turns out that Neal was the bigger part of the success, then they should be okay, but if it turns out it was Sullivan's presence not allowing the PKers to ignore half of the rink anymore, they'll struggle again. Letang is the obvious candidate to step up on that side, but I wonder if Niskanen or even Sutter might get a look over there at some point. You can't afford to let things work themselves out in a short season, so I expect we'll see some things you might not normally see.

Sully had a lot to do with it, i dont buy much into the RH shot, but, he was teh main puck carier up the ice to gain entry into the zone, which helped us out a ton, which is why we had success

I really think Sid needs to play that position. I know he likes to play down low and scrap for the pucks etc. Put he is the best passer on the team, he can play this spot way better than sully did. You don't need a booming shoot from teh point you just need to get it on net. Plus with Sids passing ability he'd easily be making deadly one time passes to letang and malkin, plus he'd find neal with those no look passes of his. Plus he'd even try to shot for kunitz and bank it in.

if he really accepted that role and went for it, our PP would be lethal. Plus crosby is quick on his skates and sound enough defensively that we wouldn't get beat alot for SH chances
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:17 am

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Gon ... story.html

"He laughed about the trade rumours that he was going to leave his Magnitogorsk team, alongside Evgeni Malkin, and then rejoin his old Penguins teammate in Pittsburgh.

“I was on the ice one day, and (coach) Paul Maurice said, ‘Are you flying back to Pittsburgh?’ I said, yeah, the season is not even starting, but I’m already going back. I was making fun of it.”
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 am

FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am

Shero is just waiting for the NHLPA to ratify the new CBA. THEN WE WILL SEE ALL SORTS OF MASSIVE DEALINGS FROM SHERO!!!!

Paul Martin for Hossa
Tyler Kennedy for Tavares
Gonchar for a bag of pucks!

DO IT RAY SHERO!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 am

Bioshock wrote:Shero is just waiting for the NHLPA to ratify the new CBA. THEN WE WILL SEE ALL SORTS OF MASSIVE DEALINGS FROM SHERO!!!!

Paul Martin for Hossa
Tyler Kennedy for Tavares
Gonchar for a bag of pucks!

DO IT RAY SHERO!!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I believe. I believe in a thing called Bioshock.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 am

I think Bioshock was being facetious. No one would trade a bag of pucks for Gonchar.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 am

Beveridge wrote:
pens_CT wrote:The Pens were tied for 5th last year in the NHL on the PP, and accomplished this without Crosby for most of the year. So why do we need Gonchar whose main value is running the PP?

Steve Sullivan had more to do with that then most people want to admit and he is now gone. Yes it was Malkin and Neal racking up the goals on the PP, but Sullivan was a solid "Gonchar fill in".

This... we are desperate for another puck mover. I still don't believe that Kunitz belongs on the first unit, but he will be there as long as we have to use 71 at the point.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby no name on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Gonchar was horrid in that Montreal series, you would have to have him play 3rd pairing with Engelland and 1st unit power play. His stats with Ottawa the past fer seasons were not good either.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins