D pairings

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: D pairings

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 am

I guess we have to assume that shero has had a plan with all these d prospects, and that plan will have to start moving pretty soon.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:02 am

penmyst wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Who thinks they have a glut of talent at any position?

The PR for the team. Every year we got to hear about how so-and-so or whatshisname or whogivesash*t are all so great, how are we going to find chances to get them all in the lineup? We gots too many <first basemen> <outfielders> <hot dog vendors> ! It's going to be tough getting them all playing time dontchano?

And it must work, because the Bucco fans keep throwing their money at the team.

No, we don't hear that. No one has claimed that they even have an average MLB first baseman. No one has ever claimed they have a great outfield. They have McCutchen, and thats what they advertise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:08 am

I am not even sold on on Martin or Orpik yet this year, so I am not sold on our defense as a whole not just the bottom pairing. Orpik was pretty bad last year especially late in the year and on the pk. Nisky I think improved and is what he is, a decent all around player who has limitations but wont hurt you, we know what Letang is. At what point, since I am not a coach or analyst do I blame coaching or the fact that some of these guys just are not all that solid as all around defense men?

Something nobody wants to talk about in regards to the last 12 games last year and the playoffs (besides Fleury being too worn out and the Flyers being a bad match up) is the overall from pairing 1 to paring 3 and #'s 7 and 8, the overall lack of ability to stop the simplest of hockey plays.

The stretch pass. The cycle. When Bylsma would adjust to stop the stretch pass, the Flyers simply chipped it off the glass and started a wide breakout. My God in the Philly series they turned 3 on 2's into wide open tap in goals. I know the Flyers have skill and you stop every 3 on 2 but wide open tap in's? That is unacceptable times 1,000.

Sorry if I am being cynical but I just do not have confidence in this group unless someone can prove to me it was coaching or the system. Unless one of these young guys can step up and play a solid all around game, without a trade not sure what are chances are.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 am

Encouraging Orpik to be aggressive is going to make him bad. Bylsma's system is not bueno for Orpik.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:19 am

Me thinks Orpik will be back to himself this year and return to form. He was dealing with injuries the past two years that always seem to be nagging him. The lockout provided a chance for him to get back to a 100 percent
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:24 am

darkstar57 wrote:Me thinks Orpik will be back to himself this year and return to form. He was dealing with injuries the past two years that always seem to be nagging him. The lockout provided a chance for him to get back to a 100 percent

Injuries didnt put him out of position constantly. Not saying around the net the injuries didnt affect him but he completely lost his way last year.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Encouraging Orpik to be aggressive is going to make him bad. Bylsma's system is not bueno for Orpik.

Or Martin. On paper the system should suit him but with zero confidence the guy second guesses every move he makes. His hesitation, particularly when pinching, is a massive problem. Put the two on a line together and they might click and compliment one another - or be a nuclear train wreck!

All the razzle dazzle will be on the Letang-Nisky line, not ideal (nor are the RH-RH/LH-LH/RH-RH pairings) but we know what they are capable of.

I don't think the bottom pairing will be as bad as some expect, don't forget Lovejoy had just returned from injury when he ***t the bed in the playoffs. I would prefer if Bortuzzo carried his AHL form to the NHL and paired with Engo to form a reliable duo (playing within their limitations). Our #5/6/7/8 options aren't bad compared to the rest of the league, but the top 4 have some big question marks.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:22 pm

I want Ben Lovejoy nowhere near the top six.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins