You are the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

You are the GM

Postby Pensfan4life27 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:15 pm

You are Ray Shero:

You have a surplus of two D men and need to trade two. What two D men do you trade and where do you trade them too and for what?

Just curious to see what people are thinking.
Pensfan4life27
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: You are the GM

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:29 pm

My top 7 defensemen:
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Letang
Niskanen - Bortuzzo
Engelland

Trade Strait and Lovejoy... though I don't know if any team is going to give up anything for those guys. We might see something like Strait and 6th round pick for a 5th round pick and Lovejoy and 5th round pick for a 4th round pick. Not sure you get much more than that for those two guys.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Letang for your winger for Crosby/Malkin.
Despres for your stay at home D (in a package).
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Senka on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:44 pm

I move a combination of 2 for one. Maybe an Orpik/Lovejoy or a Martin/Lovejoy (although the stock is down on this group) for a solid Winger. Maybe throw in TK. Get a winger and a prospect/pick.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:47 pm

I hope this doesnt turn into a thread like the Rick Nash (or any trade) thread where people think Despres, a pick and Kennedy would bring anything to us.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Bowser wrote:My top 7 defensemen:
Orpik - Despres
Martin - Letang
Niskanen - Bortuzzo
Engelland

I hope you don't suggest Orpik - Despres as our top pairing.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:51 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I hope this doesnt turn into a thread like the Rick Nash (or any trade) thread where people think Despres, a pick and Kennedy would bring anything to us.

No, not anything, what a ridiculous idea. But Despres, Kennedy, and a pick should definitely land us a guy like Bobby Ryan.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:53 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I hope this doesnt turn into a thread like the Rick Nash (or any trade) thread where people think Despres, a pick and Kennedy would bring anything to us.

If Goligoski brought us James Neal, why can't Despres bring us around the same return?

We don't need another superstar on this team.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Where do we have a surplus? Unless we are thinking we can roll with Engelland, Lovejoy, Niskanen, and Bortuzzo all in a single lineup...

We have a surplus of 5/6 guys, but that won't net you much. And putting a 5/6 guy in a 3/4 (or even worse, a 1/2 role) usually doesn't help.

I have a feeling our offense will be fine. Last thing we need to do is go crazy and ship off top 4 dmen for another winger.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

If Goligoski brought us James Neal, why can't Despres bring us around the same return?

Because Goligoski (and Whitney because that example will be brought up soon enough) were in their 3rd and 5th years (or 5th and 7th overall) in the NHL and were established and everyone in the league knew exactly what they would bring to their teams. Average wingers are a dime a dozen (sorry Kennedy and Dupuis).

Edit above: of course they would bring us something, but not as much as people around here think. Way overvalued at this point.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:57 pm

Gaucho wrote:

No, not anything, what a ridiculous idea. But Despres, Kennedy, and a pick should definitely land us a guy like Bobby Ryan.

lol wut?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Despres has been a scratch at the AHL level several times this year. He isn't making this team this year. His value also isn't very high right now.

You don't trade Letang. Letang and Malkin are the top two priorities for Shero to keep. They will give Letang 7 million per season before he would ever see the open market.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm

bhaw wrote:Where do we have a surplus? Unless we are thinking we can roll with Engelland, Lovejoy, Niskanen, and Bortuzzo all in a single lineup...

We have a surplus of 5/6 guys, but that won't net you much. And putting a 5/6 guy in a 3/4 (or even worse, a 1/2 role) usually doesn't help.

I have a feeling our offense will be fine. Last thing we need to do is go crazy and ship off top 4 dmen for another winger.

We have a surplus in the form of Morrow, Bennett, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Harrington and Despres. All are top level prospects.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:00 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

lol wut?

Yes, I'm quite serious. wink wink nudge nudge.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Bioshock wrote:
bhaw wrote:Where do we have a surplus? Unless we are thinking we can roll with Engelland, Lovejoy, Niskanen, and Bortuzzo all in a single lineup...

We have a surplus in the form of Morrow, Bennett, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Harrington and Despres. All are top level prospects.

Bennett = Maatta?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Kovy27 wrote:

Because Goligoski (and Whitney because that example will be brought up soon enough) were in their 3rd and 5th years (or 5th and 7th overall) in the NHL and were established and everyone in the league knew exactly what they would bring to their teams. Average wingers are a dime a dozen (sorry Kennedy and Dupuis).

Edit above: of course they would bring us something, but not as much as people around here think. Way overvalued at this point.

So, Despres is in what year 3 of his pro career? D men take a few years to develop. I think he would bring something, but you are right, it won't be Bobby Ryan.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Bioshock wrote:

Well, we should probably make sure they are NHL ready and can hang before we start shipping off the stuff we know works.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Senka wrote:I move a combination of 2 for one. Maybe an Orpik/Lovejoy or a Martin/Lovejoy (although the stock is down on this group) for a solid Winger. Maybe throw in TK. Get a winger and a prospect/pick.

This might be the most absurd thing ITT
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

Bennett = Maatta?

Wow... i can't believe i forgot Maatta. Add him to the list.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

lol wut?

Yes, I'm quite serious. wink wink nudge nudge.

haha, ok...ha.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm

bhaw wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

Well, we should probably make sure they are NHL ready and can hang before we start shipping off the stuff we know works.

But that's the essence of a trade. And it would be the risk of the other team in the trade, not the Pens. If you traded any of these guys it would be for a known commodity. That being said, it also makes the idea of trading with the Pens that much more risky. These guys aren't known commodities even though they are almost universally accepted to be NHL caliber defenseman at the very least.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:

So, Despres is in what year 3 of his pro career? D men take a few years to develop. I think he would bring something, but you are right, it won't be Bobby Ryan.

I am in no way saying he cant bring anything of value, most likely at the deadline for an impending UFA or someone not quite working out on a non playoff team.

But the reality is, we have a surplus of d prospects. If we are lucky half will work out like they should. Those half will be serious trade bait (in the theory of why we went drafting this way) in their 2nd or 3rd year in the NHL. Not before, before that they are simply prospects for deadline deadline deals or add ins to get a real deal done.

I just dont think we have many "tradable assets" at the pro level right now with the thinking we are not trading Malkin, Neal, Letang etc.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I would hate to lose a dman for nothing on waivers. Even if Lovejoy, Strait, etc are not making our lineup they have to be top 7 for somebody out there. Late round pick in return is better than giving them away for free.

Lots of pressure on Shero this year. 9 million in cap space (more than any of the other contenders in the East) and a surplus of prospects to trade away. He needs to hit a home run or two between now and April's deadline.

I think we can all rest assured that the team on the ice next weekend will look different come playoff time but since our season ended vs Philly we have done nothing to improve the team via trade, draft, UFA signing, etc.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Bioshock wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Bioshock wrote:

But that's the essence of a trade. And it would be the risk of the other team in the trade, not the Pens. If you traded any of these guys it would be for a known commodity. That being said, it also makes the idea of trading with the Pens that much more risky. These guys aren't known commodities even though they are almost universally accepted to be NHL caliber defenseman at the very least.

Too early in the season for me to try to address these points. It makes no sense in so many ways.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm

I agree with bhaw. Let's wait to see how the crops grow before we start selling the entire farm.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins