Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

canaan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
eddysnake wrote:i love using game genie for nes, sometimes you have to. I'm looking at your Nightmare on Elm Street.

:thumb: Game Genie is a great invention.

The butt pirates Shad and canaan don't know what they're missing.

were missing the feeling of accomplishment by reaching video game goals with computer assistance. thats what were missing.

It's an f'ing genie in there, not computer assistance.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm

I am most definitely on team Game Genie. I generally try to beat games the right way first, but you can use it to great effect to save hours upon hours of time in RPGs by skipping a lot of the mindless level grinding that isn't even fun after awhile. Not to mention adding a little bit of sanity to insane games like the original Ninja Gaiden.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm

newarenanow wrote:It's an f'ing genie in there, not computer assistance.

:lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm

If anyone wants to do the Far Cry co-op missions I will gladly make a private game on Hardest difficulty :twisted:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 am

I had a dream about getting a bunt inside the park home run in rbi baseball last night.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm

canaan wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
eddysnake wrote:i love using game genie for nes, sometimes you have to. I'm looking at your Nightmare on Elm Street.

:thumb: Game Genie is a great invention.

The butt pirates Shad and canaan don't know what they're missing.

were missing the feeling of accomplishment by reaching video game goals with computer assistance. thats what were missing.

I've been playing Final Fantasy VI for the first time ever, and I recently beat this super hard boss with no assistance. When I beat him, I threw my arms up in the air in pure jubilance. Still not sure how I possibly survived the encounter.

About 5 minutes after, I died before I got to a save point, and now I have to do the whole boss fight all over again. :evil: :evil:
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

I occasionally use game cheats, but I prefer not to. One game where I considered cheating to be pretty much mandatory was Carmageddon 2. Each level of Carmageddon was nominally a “race,” although I don’t think I ever once actually crossed a finish line. It was much more fun to run over pedestrians and cause general mayhem. Problem was, the game had a running clock that you had to constantly replenish by completing certain goals, and each goal only added something like 10 seconds. I modified the games’ files so that instead of a goal giving a few seconds, it gave several minutes. That way you had plenty of time to massacre pedestrians. I also made it give 10x the usual amount of money for killing pedestrians so that I’d have plenty of cash to buy the expensive cars like the Big Dump.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I only cheat now to find 100% of items using walkthroughs. I still beat enemies and the gameplay via natural methods.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Shyster, have you played Orcs Must Die 2 yet? Grabbed it on a Steam sale, and absolutely love it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Got Minecraft, might give it a whirl later tonight.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Be careful, you might start playing at 8 and next thing you know, it's 3 in the morning.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:00 pm

lol it might be later then that, I'm gonna play after the 49ers/Packers game, I keep hearing good things about it so I figure time to try it out.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 am

Minecraft is a game I've wanted to try, but my crappy PC can't even run it.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:50 am

Spangler wrote:Minecraft is a game I've wanted to try, but my crappy PC can't even run it.

Do you have a 360? that's what I got it for.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Spangler on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 am

no PS3
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Spangler wrote:Minecraft is a game I've wanted to try, but my crappy PC can't even run it.

I recommend the Pocket Edition for your tablet/smartphone. Excellent port of the PC edition, at a fraction of the price.

Also, it's worth checking out PaulSoaresJr.'s channel on Youtube, specifially his tutorials. Great way to get started in Minecraft. Unbelievable the things you can do with it...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:38 am

To anyone on here with a 5-8 year-old who likes to play video games I cant recommend the Skylanders games highly enough. I bought my son both versions for X-Mas and we been having a ball with them. The only thing if you plan to purchase either version of the game you do need to buy some additional figures to get the full game experience, since you need a character from each of the eight elements to unlock all the areas and find all the treasures.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

I recommend the Pocket Edition for your tablet/smartphone. Excellent port of the PC edition, at a fraction of the price.

Also, it's worth checking out PaulSoaresJr.'s channel on Youtube, specifially his tutorials. Great way to get started in Minecraft. Unbelievable the things you can do with it...

Yea I played some last night and was lost at times lol I'm a minecraft newb :cry:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:48 pm

ajh2298 wrote:To anyone on here with a 5-8 year-old who likes to play video games I cant recommend the Skylanders games highly enough. I bought my son both versions for X-Mas and we been having a ball with them. The only thing if you plan to purchase either version of the game you do need to buy some additional figures to get the full game experience, since you need a character from each of the eight elements to unlock all the areas and find all the treasures.

The marketing on this thing is brilliant. Does Skylander just work on Wii or is it rolled out for Wii U as well?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:54 pm

bhaw wrote:
ajh2298 wrote:To anyone on here with a 5-8 year-old who likes to play video games I cant recommend the Skylanders games highly enough. I bought my son both versions for X-Mas and we been having a ball with them. The only thing if you plan to purchase either version of the game you do need to buy some additional figures to get the full game experience, since you need a character from each of the eight elements to unlock all the areas and find all the treasures.

The marketing on this thing is brilliant. Does Skylander just work on Wii or is it rolled out for Wii U as well?

There is a Wii U version also.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skylanders-Gi ... U/21092438
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:14 pm

What is skylanders about?

I'm about 10 hours into trine 2 & im not sure if I'm close to a finish. Graphics remain incredible, close battles can get real difficult with the wizard and archer, i dont know if it's me playing for 5 hour shifts, but it can get a little repetitive, a lot more fun with multiple people
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm

So I finished Far Cry 3 single player story yesterday.

Spoiler:
What a letdown. It had been humming along nicely, the story developing and you gaining experience points and stuff. Then you kill Vaas...... and then bing bang boom, like three missions later you kill Hoyt and the game's over. It was totally anti-climactic, and it had the distinct feel that whoever wrote the story simply ran out of ideas.

I did sort of dig the idea that you could kill your friends and join Citra, or you could choose to spare your friends and leave Citra. That was a cool twist (I chose to leave Citra, but I watched a YouTube clip of the other ending..... whoa!) in what was otherwise a stupid ending. The doctor simply disappears from the story despite being setup as a fairly important and interesting character early on only to be killed off-screen by rampaging Rakyat warriors at the end. Vaas was clearly the badass despite being an underling and they inexplicably kill him off 3/4 of the way through the game instead of making him the final boss battle. You meet the utterly useless Sam who serves no real purpose in the story; there's literally nothing he does that he and only he could have done, thus requiring his presence in the story.

Then let's consider some of the bigger shortfalls: The heroes are very badly written..... they're a collection of jerks, and do-nothings that I'm not sure anyone would risk their life trying to save. The more skills you get, the more guns you unlock, the more stuff you can do, the more restrictive and linear the missions become. The missions after you kill Vaas are seriously stupid.

Honestly, the ending is so bad I feel like I can't recommend the title to anyone who wants to play SP.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Edit: Thank you for the spoiler....just lousy timing on my part :(
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 pm

I got Bioshock for $10 off XBL too good to pass up
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:45 pm

I agree with everything you said tif. I still recommend the game.

Spoiler:
The characters were pretty meh at best. Vaas was a great character and they had a chance to have a great plot twist but didn't. Finally, the main protagonist sucks and the lack of outpost defense or something made traveling too simple at the end.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR