Is "Grit" Overrated?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is "Grit" Overrated?

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 pm

shmenguin wrote:I think our real world IQ is more in question than our hockey IQ. Our players acted like children in that series. Even the ones with hockey smarts.

That's kinda what I meant, agreeing with you
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 pm

columbia wrote:Formerly of 10th and Federal. :pop:

Oh wow...I think that's near where I do my laundry... :lol:

shafnutz05 wrote:mikey, Hawthorne sounds right. I am extremely jealous that you are within walking distance of the Italian Market!

Yeah, it's actually not bad location. In this part of Philly it's kind of block by block thing I think. 2nd-6th are really nice. 7th is like a buffer. 8th-12th is a little iffy. 13th-Broad-15th is like a buffer and then 16th and up are really nice...the area I'm in now used to be a lot worse, but it's on the rise...

And yeah, the Italian Market is a fun little venture...Reading Terminal is walking distance for me too (but I'm big walker, so some people might feel that distance is out bounds for them)...all the 49 cents/pound banana bunches and pirated DVDs I can buy!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:03 pm

Get a falafel at Bitar's....you won't regret it.
http://www.bitars.com/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 pm

I'll have to check that place out...thanks! :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:19 pm

penmyst wrote:Grit isn't overrated as much as it is misunderstood.

It is an intangible. ...

If you only valued it directly, THAT is where you make the mistake.

When you see it as a MULTIPLIER of most other skills/abilities/talent---- THEN it is properly understood.

Well said.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
mikey287 wrote:No self-respecting Southener uses instant grits...

Hey, mikey, where are you in Flyerland? I forget if you mentioned it before.

Ya know, Lt. Dish, I get asked this a lot and I don't know...I don't know where I live...when I first moved here (from North Jersey) I thought I didn't know because I had just moved down here and although I was born in Philadelphia, I didn't really grow up here...

But I've come to realize that I don't know because no one does...even lifelong Philadelphia dwellers.

"What neighborhood are you in?"
- I say my cross streets
"Oh! That's right by...uh...hmm...it's near...hmph..."

And then I get the list: Bella Vista, Queen Village, Southwark, Italian Market, Washington Square, "Center City/South Philly border"

I think I've determined it to be called "Hawthorne" which I'm not sure is terribly well known or even recognized by anyone...

In terms of recognizables that you may or may not know...I'm a few blocks from the Kimmel Center, I'm about 2.5 miles north of the sports complexes, close to where Broad would meet South St. in what I'll call Center City for now...

Sorry for the long answer... :oops:

I know exactly where you are... near the old Jamaican Jerk Hut! (I don't even know if that's still around.)

I believe Hawthorne is the correct name, although you're right about the name being unknown. I lived in CC for awhile and I never once heard it called specifically that. There wasn't much there then, though, except blight; I'm talking 15 years ago.

I was just in your 'hood on a few separate occasions recently. One of those occasions was at Tashan. If you like Indian, I highly recommend it. Awesome food and cool bar. http://mytashan.com/ . That whole area around South at Broad has undergone a transformation.

We should have a bat signal or a whistle at a frequency that only Pens fans can hear. 8-)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
mikey287 wrote:No self-respecting Southener uses instant grits...

Hey, mikey, where are you in Flyerland? I forget if you mentioned it before.

Ya know, Lt. Dish, I get asked this a lot and I don't know...I don't know where I live...when I first moved here (from North Jersey) I thought I didn't know because I had just moved down here and although I was born in Philadelphia, I didn't really grow up here...

But I've come to realize that I don't know because no one does...even lifelong Philadelphia dwellers.

"What neighborhood are you in?"
- I say my cross streets
"Oh! That's right by...uh...hmm...it's near...hmph..."

And then I get the list: Bella Vista, Queen Village, Southwark, Italian Market, Washington Square, "Center City/South Philly border"

I think I've determined it to be called "Hawthorne" which I'm not sure is terribly well known or even recognized by anyone...

In terms of recognizables that you may or may not know...I'm a few blocks from the Kimmel Center, I'm about 2.5 miles north of the sports complexes, close to where Broad would meet South St. in what I'll call Center City for now...

Sorry for the long answer... :oops:

I know exactly where you are... near the old Jamaican Jerk Hut! (I don't even know if that's still around.)

I believe Hawthorne is the correct name, although you're right about the name being unknown. I lived in CC for awhile and I never once heard it called specifically that. There wasn't much there then, though, except blight; I'm talking 15 years ago.

I was just in your 'hood on a few separate occasions recently. One of those occasions was at Tashan. If you like Indian, I highly recommend it. Awesome food and cool bar. http://mytashan.com/ . That whole area around South at Broad has undergone a transformation.

We should have a bat signal or a whistle at a frequency that only Pens fans can hear. 8-)

Yeah, it used to be a lot rougher of an area. It's improved now, well, I guess as good as it can get...it's almost like a dead spot but so close to everything that it makes ok for me...I don't know hard to describe...

I go by that Tashan place pretty regularly, but I've never been in it. Indian food and me aren't on that great of terms to be honest...but maybe because I haven't had anything really good yet. I'll add it to my "places to try when I have some money" list!

There was a couple randoms that caught my attention since I've moved down here. Once walking by a bus stop at 7th & Fitzwater, some guy positively remarked about my Fleury jersey tee...and in the supermarket the other week, someone made a positive comment about my Penguins coat...

So there's a couple of us nestled deep in enemy territory here... :thumb:

Conversely, I also sometimes get things shouted at me that I shouldn't repeat here...they are an ornery bunch... :thumbdown:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Oh, yeah, mikey, where you are is clutch logistics-wise, and it's booming. I like it and have even asked the hub about moving there to be close to everything without being in the middle of it. I miss being able to bike and walk everywhere. I miss Pittsburgh (proper) even more, though.

Back to the original topic. All this Philly talk is soff. :lol:

Give us some grit, Pens! Damn. 8-)
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Well, South Philly is pretty gritty.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 pm

MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:11 am

mikey287 wrote:
meow wrote:Mmm, love me some grit

I like grits too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?

No self respecting southerner uses instant grits.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bowser on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:29 am

What is overrated is the constant use of hacks that can't skate, shoot, pass, or play in key situations like power play or penalty kill. The NHL's on-ice product would be better without goons that play 3 minutes per game and take up a roster spot for someone who could serve an important role on the team.

Grit itself is a waste, if you don't have skill to score goals, dedication to play defense, and a goaltender that won't wilt in the heat of the moment.

The Penguins added some grit to their lineup with Brandon Sutter and Tanner Glass but more importantly, both of these guys have roles on the team to get significant time on the penalty-kill, score some goals, and play good defense.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:45 am

Yeah, I think penmyst and Bowser summed it up nicely.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 am

The best teams always have a little jam to go with that peanut butter. :twisted:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sigwolf on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Grit, to me, can be equated to "heart". The willingness to sacrifice the body to make the play. Lack of selfishness. Team concept. Take a smart penalty that stops a big play from the opposition, or let's the opponent know that can't run roughshod over your team's stars. The current Steelers roster is the perfect example of complete lack of grit. There is virtually no one on that roster concerned with the good of the team, they are all about personal accomplishments. There is no heart on that team, no grit. That is why their whole season flamed out so spectacularly. That is why Gary Roberts and Billy Guerin made such an impact on this team. They would give everything on the ice. Grit is so often misapplied as a player who is a complete @#$. Grit comes in a player that will go out and be agressive and be physical in an intelligent manner that will actually help his team, not hinder it.

Grit can not possibly ever be overrated. On the contrary, lack of grit is what leaves "experts" so often scratching their heads as to why a very talented team can never seem to succeed.
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 am

The LA Kings cup run was grit city.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 am

yes?

Spoiler:
no.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 am

Individual grit (depends on your game, but you've got to have a little to become elite)
Team Grit - Got to stick up for one another, can have TOO MUCH, but too little is equally as bad.

Grit matters most in the playoffs, when the games are called differently and its a survival race to the cup. (Having said that, this compressed season is also survival).

James
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Fighters are overrated? Everyone thinks they're worthless. Maybe slightly overrated because some people think they are necessary on every team, but they aren't valued enough to be "wildly overrated".

Agreed, and this is why if a fighter can also play a little hockey, score the occasional goal and play on a checking line on a regular shift, they are very valuable. This is why Mike Rupp got a big paycheck. He can fill several roles and provide leadership also.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins