Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:What? The majority of dinos were CGI in the first.

Nope, not even close. There's actually a surprisingly small amount of CG in the movie. Think of the relatively few full-body views of the dinos..... with just a few exceptions, those represent the extent of the CG shots. If I had to guess, I'd say probably no more than perhaps 15% of the dino's screen time was CG.

You have to remember that JP represented the first time - ever - that animals had been animated using CG in a live-action film environment. So every CG shot in the film was the first time something like that had been done. And it was made effective by the blending of traditional stop-motion animation methods - as used by Phil Tippett - with digital technology really revolutionized the way movies were made, and is (imo) the reason why the CG in Jurassic Park still stands up today 20 years later whereas the CG in the Star Wars prequels largely looks like junk just 10-12 years on. Because on the earlier film, the film makers went out of their way to actually shoot a real object wherever possible and use CG only to achieve shots that were impossible to get physically. (The same can be said for the LOTR trilogy; there's a stunning amount of model work in those films, and the scale crew actually shot for something like 1,000 days to make those three films.)

Speaking of Phil Tippett, when he was hired to do JP it was expected that all of the wide dino shots that couldn't be done with animatronics would be done using stop-motion animation. After ILM showed Spielberg a test reel of dino CG, he completely rethought that plan and effectively put Tippet out of a role on the film. But they retained him to help train the CG animators, and you can see his flourishes in the finished product, with the subtle tail flicks or tongue curls. While it was the right idea to go CG for the wide shots, it was a great move to retain Tippet.

pittsoccer33 wrote:have you seen a film with dolby atmos yet tif? ill be looking forward to your report

No, not yet. Altho I think one of the (few) theaters in Los Angeles equipped with the system is the Zanuck theater on the 20th Century Fox lot where I used to work. It was fun taking an afternoon to go down for the employee screenings of current releases and library titles.

MRandall25 wrote:

They did have an entire body (and I just wanted an excuse to post that video)

eddysnake wrote:Maybe it was the 2nd,but one of them, they had to build sets around the dinosaurs because they weighed so much

The animatronic rexes weighed like 12,000 pounds, which is a massive amount of kinetic energy to control.

Favorite parts of the JP making-of documentaries is seeing Adam Jones, the guitar player for the band Tool, working on the dino models. He was a vfx guy prior to the music thing working out, and he worked at Stan Winston Studios when the band was just getting started and releasing their first EP and LP in 92 and 93 respectively. I remember seeing an interview with Jones where he joked about all the guys at the studio giving him crap when he quit to focus on music full time.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Wow only 4 mins of on screen Dino time of 14 mins was CGI. Rest was a combo of stop motion and animatronics.

http://www.empireonline.com/features/history-of-cgi/p8
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 am

That actually sounds like a high percentage to me, but you get the idea. :fist:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Taking after the Gnomes on the animated series who ardently practice American capitalism, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have wooed investors and raised money to form their own production studio, which they plan to announce on Monday.

The new company is to be called Important Studios and hopes to be just that. With an estimated value of $300 million built on revenue from “South Park,” now in its 16th season on Comedy Central, and the Broadway megahit “The Book of Mormon,” the studio will have the power and money to approve television, movie and theater projects, including a big-screen version of “The Book of Mormon.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/business/media/south-park-creators-to-start-company-important-studios.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&

great news!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Paranorman - it was pretty good, scary for little kids
Arbitrage - good, depressing what some scumbags get away with
Ted- had its moments, don't get the hype for this
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 pm

eddysnake wrote:
Taking after the Gnomes on the animated series who ardently practice American capitalism, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have wooed investors and raised money to form their own production studio, which they plan to announce on Monday.

The new company is to be called Important Studios and hopes to be just that. With an estimated value of $300 million built on revenue from “South Park,” now in its 16th season on Comedy Central, and the Broadway megahit “The Book of Mormon,” the studio will have the power and money to approve television, movie and theater projects, including a big-screen version of “The Book of Mormon.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/business/media/south-park-creators-to-start-company-important-studios.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&

great news!

Holy poop, they're moguls now.....! :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 pm

South Park has been on for 16 years? Wow, haven't watched it in about 14... ;)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Spangler on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Speaking of CGI in relation to dinosaurs, just take a look at the brontosaurus stampede scene from PJ's King Kong movie, and you will see everything that is wrong with CGI misuse.

A dinosaur that size is not going to move 60 mph, and certainly isn't going to flopping around like a fish. I just really hate that scene.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Spangler wrote:Speaking of CGI in relation to dinosaurs, just take a look at the brontosaurus stampede scene from PJ's King Kong movie, and you will see everything that is wrong with CGI misuse.

A dinosaur that size is not going to move 60 mph, and certainly isn't going to flopping around like a fish. I just really hate that scene.

PJ's King Kong was the first movie I watched in HD and since has become one of the main examples of my growing hate for CGI (along with the Star Wars prequels). CGI overuse has grown exponentially since Jurassic Park and movie studios were able to get away with it for a while. Some movies the overuse is so striking (Star Wars prequels) that its always a distraction, but the majority of CGI in movies looks fine in standard definition. King Kong looks fine in standard definition, but seeing it in HD was mind blowing. Other than Kong when he is relatively stationary, the CGI in that movie looks like complete and utter crap. Sizing is wrong. Textures are off. Dimensions are flat. Instead of a constant improvement in CGI quality, the overuse of CGI (along with a sharper picture when viewing in HD) has made the quality seem poorer and has made the use of CGI more distracting and when watching a movie (the Transformers trilogy is an exception).
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm

If it looked bad in HD then it would have been even more noticeable in theatrically.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

i cant wait for the south park RPG to come out.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby obhave on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

V/H/S was an absolutely terrible movie. Its an independent "horror" movie, made up of 6 different stories. Nothing tied together and was pretty boring overall.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:26 pm

anyone see Cronenbergs Cosmopolis?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 pm

eddysnake wrote:anyone see Cronenbergs Cosmopolis?

i planned on renting it next time i get a free rental code from redbox
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Great. Now I have to watch Argo.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 pm

OK, so Arnold Schwarzenegger's latest project, The Last Stand? So far 9 for 9 on Rotten Tomatoes. I am definitely intrigued
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:57 am

Caught Flightplan last night. I actually liked it quite a bit. I suppose the twist was predictable but it worked. Not the best nor the worst but entertaining for a one time go.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:06 pm

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm

nocera wrote:

Let's go and leave after 2.

Asinine. Die Hard With a Vengence is better than Die Hard 2.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
nocera wrote:

You're right. I should've said let's leave after 1.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Went to see Gangster Squad tonight. Loved it.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

striking distance was on encore last night.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am

every few months i figure out the 3 gallons of water in the 4 gallon jug. i always forget the solution, but have fun working it out again.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was considered for a Lethal Weapon script
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
nocera wrote:

Way better. And if rating them rather than ranking them, its a lot closer to 1 than it is to 2. Very close to 1.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR