Reddit users

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Reddit users

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am

I have known about Reddit in the past, but only recenly have actually gone there to "browse" (as opposed to just being linked to something interesting).

Someone explain to me how this world works

Do you just go to reddit.com and browse the main default board...which is essentially clicking and seeing a picture and then hitting back and going on down the list? How does anyone follow the comments? It seems everything of note already has 1000 random comments...2/3 of which are already hidden. Why does anyone care abuot karma/upvotes/reddit gold? Infinite number of subreddits that seem to be impossible to find unless you specifically look for them - do you subscribe to the ones you like and that is all that shows up on the "main page?"

Is this post legal or is the first rule of Reddit to not talk about Reddit?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Reddit users

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am

I have never really gone to the website, but your understanding(or possibly lackthereof) of the site is similar to mine. I'm not sure i'm interested in finding out though haha.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am

You can make an account for Reddit...all you need is a username and password.

What's nice is you can subscribe to whatever "subreddits" you like, so each person's front page is different. There are subreddits for everything.

I could care less about karma and all that stuff, but it's important to a lot of people.

Subreddits really aren't that hard to find, and a lot of times I've just typed "r/whatimlookingfor" and been able to find that particular reddit.

I'm a fan of it because it just aggregates a lot of interesting links, videos, gifs, pictures, articles, stories, etc. A lot of funny stuff too, and of course a lot of stupid stuff. What's also nice is you can unsubscribe from reddits like r/atheism and r/politics, which are chock-full of some of the most obnoxious people you could ever possibly imagine.
Last edited by shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am

JeffDFD wrote:I have known about Reddit in the past, but only recenly have actually gone there to "browse" (as opposed to just being linked to something interesting).

Someone explain to me how this world works

Do you just go to reddit.com and browse the main default board...which is essentially clicking and seeing a picture and then hitting back and going on down the list? How does anyone follow the comments? It seems everything of note already has 1000 random comments...2/3 of which are already hidden. Why does anyone care abuot karma/upvotes/reddit gold? Infinite number of subreddits that seem to be impossible to find unless you specifically look for them - do you subscribe to the ones you like and that is all that shows up on the "main page?"

Is this post legal or is the first rule of Reddit to not talk about Reddit?

I occasionally go there to browse but i think the best way to describe it as I understand it is karma:reddit::post count:LGP but there is a lot I don't get.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 am

Reddit is a scary and weird place
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:54 am

JeffDFD wrote:do you subscribe to the ones you like and that is all that shows up on the "main page?"

Yes, and the hardest part is trying to find the ones that you like - and there is a subreddit for EVERYTHING.

I'd suggest hoverzoom chrome plugin as well, makes it so you don't have to hit back a bunch of times. Also the Reddit enhancement suite is quite nice.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 am

dont be intimidated, its not bad. I just browse the frontpage (aka r/new).. it gets me a nice mix of everything. However, by doing that if you have a comment to submit it will rarely get noticed.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby demondg1 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am

Reddit might be the best site on the internet.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:56 am

mac5155 wrote:dont be intimidated, its not bad. I just browse the frontpage (aka r/new).. it gets me a nice mix of everything. However, by doing that if you have a comment to submit it will rarely get noticed.

R/new will just list every single post in chronological order, which doesn't filter out any of the lousy ones that people post.

The front page normally displays things that already have quite a bit of upvotes, so you are generally getting the best links that are currently on the site. Yes, your comment won't be noticed, but that's fine with me because other redditors have already done the job of filtering out all the crap for me.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 am

/r/all is good as well.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 am

Reddit's an awesome collaborative board, but because it's different. It confuses a lot of non-computer savvy people I've found, and is primarily a birthplace for new memes and such. It's a more mature version of 4chan.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 am

Make sure you check out /r/wheredidthesodago
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 am

r/birdswitharms

that's all you need to know.

edit: also, you should get reddit enhancement suite. Makes browsing so much easier.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am

Rylan wrote:RedditMy Thread of Love is a scary and weird place
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 am

http://bestsubreddits.com/

is a good place to start.
canaan
NHL Third Liner