Must-read Malkin Article

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:31 am

Pens15 wrote:I don't know who was attacking his character. Some folks have expressed concern over whether he'll stay with the Pens. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. To me it sounds like he's keeping his options open.


He's not doing anything right now. If he doesn't sign a contract this summer, then he's keeping his options open.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,352
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Azkar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 am

Can you imagine him and Sid here for another 10 years? :fist: :fist:
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Malkinthebest on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 am

Cant wait to see him this season...regarding his future i dont want to think about that now.....
Malkinthebest
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby penny lane on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 am

Azkar wrote:Can you imagine him and Sid here for another 10 years? :fist: :fist:


I can't believe Evgeni is starting his 7th year and Sid his 8th... time goes by in a blink.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,517
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Pens15 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Pens15 wrote:I don't know who was attacking his character. Some folks have expressed concern over whether he'll stay with the Pens. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. To me it sounds like he's keeping his options open.


He's not doing anything right now. If he doesn't sign a contract this summer, then he's keeping his options open.


Well, put it this way. I didn't take the quotes from that article as particularly reassuring. Nor did I take them as alarming. They seemed pretty political to me.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am

Pens15 wrote:
Well, put it this way. I didn't take the quotes from that article as particularly reassuring. Nor did I take them as alarming. They seemed pretty political to me.


That's something any player who doesn't have a perfect command on english will deal with. Unfairly or not it's probably the main reason people would question him - exactly what he says or means can be lost in the translation.

There's also the idea that an athlete of his caliber would be willing to take a pay cut or play second fiddle to someone else. Lebron James was the king of all Cleveland sports and not even that and being paid a max salary was good enough for him.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,364
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 am

I wish I could remember where I read it, but Sid (supposedly) said he knows Geno will become the highest paid Pens player. And he's fine with it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,573
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:09 am

Yeah, I can't imagine pay-grade of other players being on Crosby's radar at all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,352
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:20 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:There's also the idea that an athlete of his caliber would be willing to take a pay cut or play second fiddle to someone else. Lebron James was the king of all Cleveland sports and not even that and being paid a max salary was good enough for him.


True. More reassuring to me was an article from last week in which Geno was quoted as saying he likes playing with Sid and wants to continue playing for the Penguins because he knows teams that win championships have two great players. I think he realizes that he could go to another team, make more money, and be the team's one big name, but that doesn't necessarily get you championships.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,199
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 am

llipgh2 wrote:I wish I could remember where I read it, but Sid (supposedly) said he knows Geno will become the highest paid Pens player. And he's fine with it.


I remember reading that as well, and Sid and Shero talked about it and Sid doesn't mind being the second highest paid player on the Pens.

I'm not worried at all about Malkin. He will sign with the Pens IMO. The only threat is if he wants to go back home to Russia and play in the KHL. But within the NHL, I think he will be a Pen for the 2 years left on his contract plus 8 more on his next.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am

I don't think there is a real concern of him going back to the KHL. Even with Ovechkin's comments, I don't think he is interested in going either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,352
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think there is a real concern of him going back to the KHL. Even with Ovechkin's comments, I don't think he is interested in going either.


I agree. IF there was a threat of him not being on the Pens, it would be the KHL. But IMO, that threat is small.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby no name on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:58 am

Ok lets just say....

This season ends, in the offseason is when we can get his signiture on a new deal. But he doesn't sign anything... what do you do then.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,984
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Trade him to Carolina for the Staal brothers.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,199
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 pm

no name wrote:Ok lets just say....

This season ends, in the offseason is when we can get his signiture on a new deal. But he doesn't sign anything... what do you do then.


You load up and go on one heck of a cup run. Once Malkin goes, it would be due time for a mini-rebuild.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,893
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

So you guys won't even try to sign him the following year?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,891
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:19 pm

no name wrote:Ok lets just say....

This season ends, in the offseason is when we can get his signiture on a new deal. But he doesn't sign anything... what do you do then.


Proceed as if you will sign him the next offseason. I think Malkin is worth the risk.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I wish I could remember where I read it, but Sid (supposedly) said he knows Geno will become the highest paid Pens player. And he's fine with it.


Crosby isn't dumb and he understands the business side of things with the new CBA and things of that nature. Plus, it could be argued that Gene is just as good if not better than Sid and should be paid accordingly. I mean, people were saying back in 09 that 'Crosby isn't even the best player on the Pens' and through no fault of his own with the injuries and lack of playing time, it hasn't gotten any better for him in that regard.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,701
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

i don't think staal should have been traded, even though we knew he wasn't re-signing. i'd say the same thing for malkin.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,535
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:i don't think staal should have been traded, even though we knew he wasn't re-signing. i'd say the same thing for malkin.


I have no issue what so ever with Staal being traded. I think it was known on both sides he wanted to move on.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't really care what Crosby thinks on the matter.
Shero can only pay so much for both of them and still assemble a competent team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,450
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:20 pm

newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't think staal should have been traded, even though we knew he wasn't re-signing. i'd say the same thing for malkin.


I have no issue what so ever with Staal being traded. I think it was known on both sides he wanted to move on.


i think you take your shot to win it all while you have the players. giving up staal makes our team better next season, but worse this season. and since we should be in "win now" mode, that doesn't add up for me.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,535
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Iginla - Crosby - Kunitz
Kennedy - Sutter - Neal
Cooke - Jeffrey - Tangradi
Glass - Adams - Vitale
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,294
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

ewwwww
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,535
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Must-read Malkin Article

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't think staal should have been traded, even though we knew he wasn't re-signing. i'd say the same thing for malkin.


I have no issue what so ever with Staal being traded. I think it was known on both sides he wanted to move on.


i think you take your shot to win it all while you have the players. giving up staal makes our team better next season, but worse this season. and since we should be in "win now" mode, that doesn't add up for me.


I think you have to balance it. Staal is not a make it or break it type player. Crosby and Malkin are.

The core is still there to win a championship. Both this year and in the future. Staal didn't change that one way or another IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,307
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Elementary Penguin, Steve Dave, Wooav8tor and 6 guests

e-mail