You are the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You are the GM

Postby tfrizz on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:08 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:Dont they run the risk of losing several defensemen through waivers if they are sent down, which is why there is a possibilty that Despres starts the year in WBS?


Correct. Of the 9 defensemen at camp, Despres is the only one that's waiver exempt.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,102
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: You are the GM

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm

tfrizz wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:Dont they run the risk of losing several defensemen through waivers if they are sent down, which is why there is a possibilty that Despres starts the year in WBS?


Correct. Of the 9 defensemen at camp, Despres is the only one that's waiver exempt.


Despres IMO is a Top 6 defenseman on this team. I cant see them starting him in WBS which means they will likely make a trade or risk losing a defensman for nothing.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,126
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You are the GM

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:which means they will likely make a trade or risk losing a defensman for nothing.


Which isn't really a problem, even if that were to happen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,420
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: You are the GM

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm

columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:which means they will likely make a trade or risk losing a defensman for nothing.


Which isn't really a problem, even if that were to happen.


if strait gets claimed on waivers, for instance, it's no big deal. it hurts in principal, but it doesn't really affect the team's plan in the short term or long. it would just be a wasted draft pick.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby meow on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm in the Robert Bortuzzo camp. His style of play is what we need.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,863
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: You are the GM

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Indyman wrote:I can see a deadline deal of one of our young D like Derrick Pouliot, Tangradi and a 2nd rounder for Evander Kane (seems to wearing out his welcome in the 'Peg) Winnipeg would have to be well out of the playoff hunt

or some sort of overpay for Iginla

or, as somebody mentioned, Ryan Clowe


The thing about a shortened season is we really don't know what teams will be in or out of the playoff hunt at any given time. Toronto has a habit of starting seasons off hot, which could put them in position for their first playoff birth in forever... similar could be said about the Islanders.


I think pens fans are going to be surprised for what it takes to give up to get what we need in return, unless its a deadline deal, UFA on a crappy team and we are taking an all out shot at the cup, and mortgaging some future.

Tangradi, Dupuis, Kennedy, Jeffrey are not going to be a part of any deal other than the 4th or 5th piece. And if Tangradi is worth enough than we won't trade him cause it will mean he had a great season.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,044
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: You are the GM

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm

meow wrote:I'm in the Robert Bortuzzo camp. His style of play is what we need.


I think Despres will start to play a more physical game once he is comfortable with the speed of the NHL game. If its down to Bortuzzo and Despres I cant see how you dont go with Despres.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,126
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You are the GM

Postby DelPen on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 pm

If Despres won't be top 4 he needs to go back down. Sounds like he didn't play we'll enough tonight.

More interested in the forward situation. Bennett outplayed Tangradi and Jeffrey but both of them are waiver eligible and will get taken. So we have 23 players that would need to pass through waivers and then Despres and Bennett.

Trade coming.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,209
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: You are the GM

Postby The U on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm

I like Adams but is he so incredibly great on the PK that he is a virtual lock to play every night. Between Jeffrey, Megna, Vitale, Glass, Tangradi, and others, I'm surprised his name isn't brought up more.

I actually don't want his grit, energy, and "hit everything that moves" skill set taken out of the lineup but I wonder why more people don't want him replaced. He seems like an easy target for those fans wanting their favorite AHL grinder to earn a roster spot.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,449
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby no name on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

My 2 biggest questions for the GM is,

1.Which D-man do you trade or risk losing on waivers.

2. Do you let Tangradi fill his own destiny. Is it time to cut ties with him if this chance doesn't work out. (i know my answer) seems like he never has been givin a legit chance yet. Though nothing he has done so far warrented a more of a opportunity.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,913
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:50 am

Bennett isn't 100%. I'd let his wrist continue to heal at WBS, give Tangradi a shot with Geno and Neal in the meantime.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,126
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You are the GM

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 am

This thread is getting a lot of responses considering it was specifically directed at someone who probably isn't even a member of this site.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,019
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: You are the GM

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 am

Idoit40fans wrote:This thread is getting a lot of responses considering it was specifically directed at someone who probably isn't even a member of this site.


He may not be a member, but I bet he reads it. :D
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,126
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You are the GM

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 am

The U wrote:I like Adams but is he so incredibly great on the PK that he is a virtual lock to play every night. Between Jeffrey, Megna, Vitale, Glass, Tangradi, and others, I'm surprised his name isn't brought up more.

I actually don't want his grit, energy, and "hit everything that moves" skill set taken out of the lineup but I wonder why more people don't want him replaced. He seems like an easy target for those fans wanting their favorite AHL grinder to earn a roster spot.


aside from the philly meltdown, adams has been great on the PK. he's able to excel here because it involves no skill with the puck and limited skating. he's been terrible at even strength over the last 2 years, particularly on the defensive end. during that time, it's just been accepted that on most nights, our 4th line isn't going to offer anything - no scoring of course (which is no big deal, whatever) but also limited forechecking and physicality. we've also consistently seen extended offensive pressure from the other team when they're on the ice. if adams is still in the lineup, it makes a low ceiling even lower on that line. but if he's still a PK whiz, then it's probably worth it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 am

shmenguin wrote:
The U wrote:I like Adams but is he so incredibly great on the PK that he is a virtual lock to play every night. Between Jeffrey, Megna, Vitale, Glass, Tangradi, and others, I'm surprised his name isn't brought up more.

I actually don't want his grit, energy, and "hit everything that moves" skill set taken out of the lineup but I wonder why more people don't want him replaced. He seems like an easy target for those fans wanting their favorite AHL grinder to earn a roster spot.


aside from the philly meltdown, adams has been great on the PK. he's able to excel here because it involves no skill with the puck and limited skating. he's been terrible at even strength over the last 2 years, particularly on the defensive end. during that time, it's just been accepted that on most nights, our 4th line isn't going to offer anything - no scoring of course (which is no big deal, whatever) but also limited forechecking and physicality. we've also consistently seen extended offensive pressure from the other team when they're on the ice. if adams is still in the lineup, it makes a low ceiling even lower on that line. but if he's still a PK whiz, then it's probably worth it.


I think Jeffery should center the 4th line with Adams and Glass.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,126
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: You are the GM

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:41 am

vitale has proven that he deserves to be in the NHL
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 pm

shmenguin wrote:
The U wrote:I like Adams but is he so incredibly great on the PK that he is a virtual lock to play every night. Between Jeffrey, Megna, Vitale, Glass, Tangradi, and others, I'm surprised his name isn't brought up more.

I actually don't want his grit, energy, and "hit everything that moves" skill set taken out of the lineup but I wonder why more people don't want him replaced. He seems like an easy target for those fans wanting their favorite AHL grinder to earn a roster spot.


aside from the philly meltdown, adams has been great on the PK. he's able to excel here because it involves no skill with the puck and limited skating. he's been terrible at even strength over the last 2 years, particularly on the defensive end. during that time, it's just been accepted that on most nights, our 4th line isn't going to offer anything - no scoring of course (which is no big deal, whatever) but also limited forechecking and physicality. we've also consistently seen extended offensive pressure from the other team when they're on the ice. if adams is still in the lineup, it makes a low ceiling even lower on that line. but if he's still a PK whiz, then it's probably worth it.

Adams is a strong penalty killer -- one of the best on the team. His 5-on-5 play has diminished, yes, but not to the extent that many suggest. If you want to say the fourth line lacks physicality, don't blame it on Adams, who averages two hits per game -- only slightly less than Orpik, who plays nearly twice as many minutes. While the hits may not be of the same force, it's unfair to grade physicality based on the quality of hit. Fourth lines are designed to wear on opponents through sustained hitting, bumping, etc. Adams brings that. Glass, too, will bring that, while also providing a bigger frame and a willing pair of fists, if need be. Vitale is small, but he, too, can and will play tenaciously. In general, our fourth line might not be the best in the league, but it's far from the worst, and Adams should and absolutely will play a large role on it.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,797
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: You are the GM

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 pm

we'll see how it goes. getting rid of asham's skating will certainly help. maybe the larger problem was that over the last couple years, we've typically had at least 2 poor skaters on that line at all times.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Since this is a "I'm the GM" thread and not "I'm the coach", can I still say that for Philly I would have Glass on the LW for the Geno line for at least the first 2 shifts? Once Philly starts skating and getting tired, I would rotate Bennett in and let the goals start piling up.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: You are the GM

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Since this is a "I'm the GM" thread and not "I'm the coach", can I still say that for Philly I would have Glass on the LW for the Geno line for at least the first 2 shifts? Once Philly starts skating and getting tired, I would rotate Bennett in and let the goals start piling up.

I'm not sure that's overly necessary. The teams hate each other, yes. The teams play each other physically, yes. But there really aren't a whole lot of true cheap shots happening.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,797
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: You are the GM

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Starting to see waivers roll in but no Pens yet. To assign someone to WBS they need to be waived as of noon. If no one does get waived we will see Bennett and Despes sent down or a trade.

So 8 D, 13 F and 2 G.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,209
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: You are the GM

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Bennett and Megna have been reassigned to WBS. Makes sense.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: You are the GM

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Brian Strait was placed on waivers.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,552
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: You are the GM

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Brian Strait placed on waivers.

Can't wait to see the **** storm if he gets picked up.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,561
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: You are the GM

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Strait the odd man out. Bennett and Megna also sent down. Depres survives the cut.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,209
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SubtropicalPenguin and 10 guests

e-mail