can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Godric on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Who looked good?

Did Crosby not try or did he not get ice time?

Who was the most physical?

Did someone two hand slash Malkin???

Why does everyone hate tangradi?

Who is Megna?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby scals37 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 am

Sutter looked darn good, fast and good hands. Kennedy seemed very confident with the puck on his stick. Orpik looks like he has his mean streak back in action, pretty much knocked Warren Peters out of the game.

Sid looked solid, was out there for 2 or 3 of their goals

Orpik and Cooke were throwing guys around most of the night, Glass was hitting as well

I think Adams gave Geno a small shot, just in the heat of battle I suppose

Tangradi didn't impress me, seemed like he was trying to hit more on the forecheck but was pretty much invisible
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,699
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Joe Baggadonuts' House

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 am

Godric wrote:
Why does everyone hate tangradi?

Who is Megna?

Its not about hating Tangradi, its just being realistic that he's not a top 6 NHL forward, and despite being 6"4" he doesn't have the attitude/energy level required to play on the bottom 2 lines.

Jayson Megna an undrafted free agent signed from the Universsity of Nebraska Omaha. Missed a lot of time in WBS this year with a high ankle sprain, but is playing center there, and does have NHL type speed and a decent skill level. Time will tell if he can make the jump to the NHL, he needs more time at WBS.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,576
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:19 am

Recap? Sure....

THE PENS WON. ;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,524
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Chino Moreno Likes Toast!

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby pittsports87 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Recap? Sure....

THE PENS WON. ;)

But they also lost.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,457
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby farnham16 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

Sutter was very impressive. Played smart hockey all game.
Geno was flying and had a nasty wrist shot snipe.
Orpik was solid and had a big hit.
I thought Martin made a few nice plays.
Morrow looked good out there.
Neither goalie played well but weren't terrible either.
Tangradi didn't do much at all. Screwed up a couple golden opportunties in front of the net.
Bennett looked the part to me. Had a goal where he beat the d man and sneaked one past MAF. He was much better than Tangradi IMO.
Letang's skating is unreal.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby pittsports87 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 am

Went to the game, it was a good time. Great crowd, didn't expect it to be that packed. This city definitely missed hockey.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,457
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby pittsports87 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 am

Went to the game, it was a good time. Great crowd, didn't expect it to be that packed. This city definitely missed hockey.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,457
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Stevo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 am

THE GOOD:

Letang/despress pairing has me super excited. like two barry whites out there. Just too smooth

Sid and Geno didn't even look like they were trying but still looked like the two best players in the world. Scary good

Bennett may not be quit ready yet but is going to be a star in this league soon. Just those few months in the AHL have done wonders for him even since the prospect scrimmage last summer. Less cute play and more hard work. Boy has real talent.

Morrow has a ways to go still but like bennett has top end talent that you can't teach.

Didn't notice Strait, Domulin, Bortuzzo, and samulson much and that's a good thing

Megna looks like a legit sleeper prospect. I Personally noticed him last summer at the prospect scrimmage. Nice to see that that was not just an figment of my imagination.

Vokoun looked beast.

THE BAD:

Paul Martin still looks like paul martin

E.T. Still Looks like he still doesn't have NHL Speed and frankly i'm starting to wonder if all the "second line forward" talk is just a way management to build hype for a future trade. I'm Not an E.t. Hater by any means either.
Stevo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 am

If you were Evgeni Malkin, would you want someone who might never belong in the league on your wing?

They need to stop the charade and send him on to his life's work...whatever that is.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,456
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 am

Thank you Scals37, Stevo and everyone else for the responses

:thumb: Let's Go Pens!
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 am

columbia wrote:If you were Evgeni Malkin, would you want someone who might never belong in the league on your wing?

They need to stop the charade and send him on to his life's work...whatever that is.


Unix sys admin.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,380
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 am

Sid looked like he was playing his first game in a long time against a bunch of guys who have been playing half a season. Within a few games he'll be fine for sure. Either that or he didnt try all that hard. That being said - he still played well and probably did have a goal on a deflection.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,693
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 am

Great for folks and kids who have never seen the pens, or been inside of the Consol. :thumb:

*cajun fries very good & hot!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,665
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am

I've been wondering what goalies would look like taking different angles on the smaller ice. Sounds like Vokoun adjusted to it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,260
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:Sid looked like he was playing his first game in a long time against a bunch of guys who have been playing half a season. Within a few games he'll be fine for sure. Either that or he didnt try all that hard. That being said - he still played well and probably did have a goal on a deflection.


I don't think either Sid or Geno were giving it 100%
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,380
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby no name on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 am

Didn't notice Strait, Domulin, Bortuzzo, and samulson much and that's a good thing


Yep, the best compliment you can give thoes guys.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,055
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Jesse on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

Here's my recap with a few audio hits fit in.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... news-notes

Brandon Sutter is really good. Just saying.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,643
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am

Jesse wrote:Here's my recap with a few audio hits fit in.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... news-notes

Brandon Sutter is really good. Just saying.


:thumb:

There's no doubt in my mind that people right when they say Sutter is a downgrade from Staal... but Sutter is exactly what the Pens need for a 3rd line center. It was great having Staal, but I'll take Sutter at 1/3 the cap hit any day of the week.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,325
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Azkar on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 am

I thought Paul Martin was pleasantly invisible.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 am

no name wrote:
Didn't notice Strait, Domulin, Bortuzzo, and samulson much and that's a good thing


Yep, the best compliment you can give thoes guys.


Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Dumoulin supposed to be a point producer. I'm never goign to be complaining about a young player making themselves noticeable, but I was under the belief that Dumoulin was more of a 2 way guy than the others listed.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,260
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Jesse on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:
Didn't notice Strait, Domulin, Bortuzzo, and samulson much and that's a good thing


Yep, the best compliment you can give thoes guys.


Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Dumoulin supposed to be a point producer. I'm never goign to be complaining about a young player making themselves noticeable, but I was under the belief that Dumoulin was more of a 2 way guy than the others listed.


There's not a lot that Dumoulin can't do, but we're still trying to get a feel for what the pro game will make him into. He's got that jack of all trades approach to the game, only he's 6'4 and built like a mac truck.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,643
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 am

tfrizz wrote:
Jesse wrote:Here's my recap with a few audio hits fit in.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... news-notes

Brandon Sutter is really good. Just saying.


:thumb:

There's no doubt in my mind that people right when they say Sutter is a downgrade from Staal... but Sutter is exactly what the Pens need for a 3rd line center. It was great having Staal, but I'll take Sutter at 1/3 the cap hit any day of the week.


Sutter has better hands than Staal, and it looks like better speed as well. Staal is a beast, and if you're starting a team from scratch, you undoubtedly pick him ahead of Sutter. But Sutter is a much better fit for this team.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,316
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am

Jesse wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
no name wrote:
Didn't notice Strait, Domulin, Bortuzzo, and samulson much and that's a good thing


Yep, the best compliment you can give thoes guys.


Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Dumoulin supposed to be a point producer. I'm never goign to be complaining about a young player making themselves noticeable, but I was under the belief that Dumoulin was more of a 2 way guy than the others listed.


There's not a lot that Dumoulin can't do, but we're still trying to get a feel for what the pro game will make him into. He's got that jack of all trades approach to the game, only he's 6'4 and built like a mac truck.


Yeah I guess he's still transitioning from College, also my post should have read "never going to be complaining about a young defender not making themselves noticeable".
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,260
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:59 am

Tico Rick wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Jesse wrote:Here's my recap with a few audio hits fit in.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/1pittsbur ... news-notes

Brandon Sutter is really good. Just saying.


:thumb:

There's no doubt in my mind that people right when they say Sutter is a downgrade from Staal... but Sutter is exactly what the Pens need for a 3rd line center. It was great having Staal, but I'll take Sutter at 1/3 the cap hit any day of the week.


Sutter has better hands than Staal, and it looks like better speed as well. Staal is a beast, and if you're starting a team from scratch, you undoubtedly pick him ahead of Sutter. But Sutter is a much better fit for this team.


the better player is the better fit for this team. every GM would rather have staal than sutter.

but sutter will still be a good fit, of course
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,846
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


e-mail