You are the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You are the GM

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Brian Strait placed on waivers.

Can't wait to see the **** storm if he gets picked up.

It will be deserved. He has more upside than Lovejoy who isn't a top 4 on this team and never will be.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

I hope Strait doesn't get picked up. One of the relatively under the radar guys that seemed like they were destined to contribute for a year or two on the very cheap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Smith, Holzapfel, Peters, Reese, Grant, Phil Dupuis, Strait, Ferriero (PIT).

Strait is probably the only one that might garner some interest.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Dupuis and Reese are decent depth players. If I'm looking for a a guy to pay to sit in the press box is take one of them.

Only saving grace for Strait is the player has to stay in the NHL. Hopefully other teams have issues like us and have full rosters.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Reading HCDB's comments about the game last night, it was crystal clear that he was going to send Bennett down and needed to find any excuse he could to do so since it was so obvious that Beau had outplayed ET. If we had some pre-season games I think Beau would've Staal'ed it and gotten on the team despite the fact that they didn't want him to. Let's face it though, injuries happen and their are a lot of 4th line roll players on this team. BB and Menga will be the first call-ups and I could see both getting a handful of games in this year just to season them up a bit.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

I agree with the move to send Bennett down. Let him get some more time in the A to get accustomed to the speed.

It's better to let him develop more this year than to make him learn on the fly in a shortened season.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

I don't think any excuses were needed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't think any excuses were needed.

So you thought ET outplayed him because those seem to be the options for the Malkin line as of now...which I believe could change by game time Saturday.

A question to everyone. Where do you go and find up to date transactions for the NHL? Everything I see is old.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:

So you thought ET outplayed him because those seem to be the options for the Malkin line as of now...which I believe could change by game time Saturday.

A question to everyone. Where do you go and find up to date transactions for the NHL? Everything I see is old.

#1, they play different roles. Bennett is a handsy player capable of making pretty plays. He'll get noticed very often when he's on the ice (for the better or the worse). Tangradi is a big body who, if playing the style he needs to play, will go unnoticed quite often. Just because Bennett was more visible doesn't mean Tangradi didn't play well.

#2, do you really think the coaching staff can make a decision based on one intra-squad scrimmage? They're basing this decision based on practice from this week, the scrimmage, and what they've seen of these players in WBS. They're basing this on player styles, player readiness, and potential for added development vs. risk of losing a player on waivers.

There's no excuses needed. The decision has many layers and levels.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I can't really answer that question, but I felt that Bennett was going to have to severely outplay Tangradi to claim a spot. Didn't happen, as far as I can tell. There is no doubt that Bennett has more upside and isprobably the flashier and more exciting player, but I think he will benefit greatly from getting quality minutes in the AHL (remember, he's still a rookie).
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:26 pm

It won't hurt Bennett to go back down to WBS even if it's just a couple weeks until Jeffrey or Tangradi can be moved. If neither plays well the we will see Bennett back up and one of them waived or traded.

Conversely, it looks like the are forcing Despres into the lineup. That's fine, his ceiling is clearly as a top pairing defenseman and he's a big guy. If he ends up being a helathy scratch after a couple games and Strait is claimed this will be a pretty stupid move by Bylsma and Shero.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Bennett is not coming back up unless there's a dire emergency. The Pens are playing this correctly.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Gaucho wrote:

I can't really answer that question, but I felt that Bennett was going to have to severely outplay Tangradi to claim a spot. Didn't happen, as far as I can tell. There is no doubt that Bennett has more upside and isprobably the flashier and more exciting player, but I think he will benefit greatly from getting quality minutes in the AHL (remember, he's still a rookie).

I don't disagree with your statement that Beau was going to be held to a much higher standard given that this is a short season and he needs the AHL fine-tuning. I think what keeps eating at me is that it is clear that ET did not earn his spot which makes me think that something could happen between now and Sat. 3pm. The coaches didn't exactly heap praise on ET at any point during this camp. Something will happen before April 5th to address the Geno line, I'd put money on it.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Not heaping praise on ET may be a good way to motivate him.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Bennett is not coming back up unless there's a dire emergency. The Pens are playing this correctly.

Agreed no need to stun his development. Ok yes he did out play Tangradi in one intersquad scrimmage. But that doesn't mean he is NHL ready. I am by no mean saying Tangradi is better even right now. But Tangradi has never been given a exptended look on a top line to prove what he can do. Once he proves he can not contribute in a top 6 roll would i even look at Beau, unless he was ripping it up in the AHL, playing at a elite level. Other wise, keep him on the farm until next season and see if he is physically and mentally mature to face the NHL level.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm

anyone feel any better about that wing position than they did a week ago?

*crickets*
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm

I do, in fact.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Gaucho wrote:I do, in fact.

why? i'm curious.

maybe i feel more confident that sutter could do ok in that role, but everyone else seems to be having the camp you'd expect. tangradi doesn't look impressive (but could theoretically be useful), we don't know much of anything about jefferey's current abilities and bennett is promising but predictably got sent back to the minors.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:

why? i'm curious.

maybe i feel more confident that sutter could do ok in that role, but everyone else seems to be having the camp you'd expect. tangradi doesn't look impressive (but could theoretically be useful), we don't know much of anything about jefferey's current abilities and bennett is promising but predictably got sent back to the minors.

I'm not concerned about Tangradi, you have a 50 and 40 goal scorer on that line. If he can win the pucks in the corner and throw his body around I'll be happy.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:01 pm

shmenguin wrote:

why? i'm curious.

Mainly because Geno and Neal will be awesome no matter who they play with. :D

If Tangradi manages to throw his weight around and win some battles along the board or simply be a nuisance around the net I'll be a happy camper.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:02 pm

I thought Tangradi had a pretty solid game, aside from the nine-iron over the net late. His game isn't flashy or sexy, we all know. But he took some hits to make some plays. Worked well along the boards and in the corners. Caused some havoc infront. He had a good game, but not a great game.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Nice to see im on the same wave length as Gaucho.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't think you can assume that a line will be fine with 2 good players no matter who you put in the other spot. In order for that line to utilize him, it will need to be nigh impossible to separate him from the puck.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

ET just needs to create a little havoc down low, and Neal-Malkin will find their opportunities. He's not going to have the puck on his stick very much, nor does he need to.

Kunitz is a good all-around hockey player; but he wasn't crucial to the success of that line. He didn't contribute in an essential way, but nor did he bring that line down.

Unless Tangradi pees the bed, I'm sure he'll do fine there.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:23 pm

kunitz had a career high point total last year. i'm pretty sure he was important to that line.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins