You are the GM

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: You are the GM

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:24 pm

I'm fine to start with Tangradi especially when it means Crosby has his security blanket wings that he was destroyignt he NHL with.

If Tangradi doesn't click and becomes a hinderance throw Jeffrey up there assuming the 3rd line is going to be playing well together.

At that point, if both Jeffrey and Tangradi suck trade or waive them, bring up Bennett for a look. If he doesn't work then we are near the trade deadline and address it then.

The team up front is not going to be a problem. I'm not going to let the identity of the #6 forward in the top 6 keep me up at night.

Bigger issue is still consistant goaltending and defense. But I view this team about the same as we were in 2008 right before Hossa and Gill came. We have the prospects to do that again if need be.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:25 pm

Kunitz also forechecks very effectively and hits like a Ford F-150 coming down on you.
Not sure that ET has those qualities.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 pm

columbia wrote:Kunitz also forechecks very effectively and hits like a Ford F-150 coming down on you.

He's shown he can play that game. Question is consistantly doing it every shift, every night for 16+ minutes.

One thing we need though is a big body in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit. Tangradi-Sutter-Kennedy out there makes the 2nd unit a little better and saves the chasers on the PK some shifts like Cooke and Dupuis.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:37 pm

as adamant as i am about the staal vs. sutter thing, it's possible that the power play is one area where sutter might be better...if only because of how horrible staal was. and for a guy who is accused of having very little skill, i'm pretty sure kennedy was among the league leaders in power play goals a couple years ago during the time when sid and geno were out. with the potential of depres making the team, maybe the 2nd unit won't be a total piece of **** anymore.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:08 pm

columbia wrote:Kunitz also forechecks very effectively and hits like a Ford F-150 coming down on you.

Except when it counted in the series vs Philly.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Tangradi has 1 goal in 43 NHL games. I think he could post 0 goals over 48 games this year and still be effective if he plays the right way.

I've said it before, you either have a mean streak or you don't. You can't develop one. He's 6'4 220lbs and he doesn't use it the way he should. He needs to be a nasty in-your-face power forward. He should be crushing defenders into the glass and be a pain to play against. That requires absolutely zero skill. It's about mindset and a desire to play that style. Here he is in his early 20s and they only thing standing between him and a million dollar NHL job is "go smash people on every shift, screen the goalie, and play mean." That's literally all the team wants out of him on that line.

But you either have that trait in you or you don't. I think he tried to play tougher last season but I don't think it comes naturally.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm

pcm wrote:ET just needs to create a little havoc down low, and Neal-Malkin will find their opportunities. He's not going to have the puck on his stick very much, nor does he need to.

Kunitz is a good all-around hockey player; but he wasn't crucial to the success of that line. He didn't contribute in an essential way, but nor did he bring that line down.

Unless Tangradi pees the bed, I'm sure he'll do fine there.

To put it simply, Tangradi's role on that line (if that's where he plays) will be to crash, bang, and drive the net. With Neal and Malkin pulling the trigger, it's very possible he'll have the opportunity to bang some rebounds home.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Except when it counted in the series vs Philly.

A series where Tangradi actually looked alright in a 4th line role. He threw his weight around and played well enough that HCDB gave him a look or two with Crosby/Malkin.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:23 pm

The U wrote:Tangradi has 1 goal in 43 NHL games. I think he could post 0 goals over 48 games this year and still be effective if he plays the right way.

i guess the comparison would be dupuis in 2010-2011. he was producing more offense than your zero goals scenario, but IIRC correctly, his stats were shockingly bad considering his linemate crosby was scoring at the best clip of anyone in like the last 10 years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:36 pm

If Tangradi doesn't work out, and Sutter is as good as he looked, I put him into the top 6 before Bennett and move Jeffrey to the 3rd line C role.

I think Cooke-Jeffrey-Kennedy is still a very good NHL 3rd line.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 pm

if sutter's skill level was accurately represented last night, i'd put him in the top 6 right now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

What it came down to for me was this.

There were guys that looked like they belonged in the NHL and ther were guys that looked like they had to TRY to belong there.

ET looked comfortable in his role. Players like Megna & BB looked like he had to push it to the limit to belong

I know this is a shorter season but I have always asked myself how long can you push it like that before it takes it's toll. This is why I take ET right now over BB or Megna.
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:49 pm

I think Vince Vaughan needs to give Tangradi the bear claw speech.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Would Lovejoy and Jeffrey/Tangradi land Boyes from the Isles or Prospal from the jackets? Two birds, one stone and they could use bodies that can play perhaps.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:00 pm

No for Prospal. He's one of the glue veteran guys on the Blue Jackets.

Probably no for Boyes as well.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:08 pm

If the Pens wanted Boyes they would have signed him for the measly million dollars hes receiving this season.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:If the Pens wanted Boyes they would have signed him for the measly million dollars hes receiving this season.

This. Plus, Prospal has a NTC, I think...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Shero will most likely target a pending UFA forward and or D heading into this years trade deadline. Here's my proposal....assuming Leafs are out and he isn't re-signed...I'm looking at a player that would "fit" into the system....

Clarke MacArthur for Dustin Jeffrey, Ben lovejoy, 2nd round pick....

Could see Shero pulling off a deal like that come deadline time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bwink on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:02 pm

The U wrote:Tangradi has 1 goal in 43 NHL games. I think he could post 0 goals over 48 games this year and still be effective if he plays the right way.

I've said it before, you either have a mean streak or you don't. You can't develop one. He's 6'4 220lbs and he doesn't use it the way he should. He needs to be a nasty in-your-face power forward. He should be crushing defenders into the glass and be a pain to play against. That requires absolutely zero skill. It's about mindset and a desire to play that style. Here he is in his early 20s and they only thing standing between him and a million dollar NHL job is "go smash people on every shift, screen the goalie, and play mean." That's literally all the team wants out of him on that line.

But you either have that trait in you or you don't. I think he tried to play tougher last season but I don't think it comes naturally.

The irony is the Islander game where he got destroyed by Gillies was probably the most physical game I ever saw him play. He may be a little skittish after the concussion and unwarranted beat down he got that night.

He needs to be an in your face player or he'll be out of the NHL sooner than later. I'm hoping he figures it out.
bwink

Postby Trip McNeely on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_ ... ource-says

This is slightly intriguing. I know that niederreiter was considered one of the most nhl ready players during the draft in 2010. I know he has been pretty disappointing during his time in the NHL, but as the article says, did a great job during the lockout in Bridgeport. And his time with in the NHL has been with the Islanders, so he might get a pass there.

Would making a move for him be possible if he is on the block? And more importantly, is he an upgrade to someone like Jeffrey and Tangradi?
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Islanders would never trade with us.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Islanders would never trade with us.

Bill Guerin disagrees. :D

P.S. I know what you mean.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins