Why isn't Dustin Jeffrey getting a chance with Geno?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Why isn't Dustin Jeffrey getting a chance with Geno?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Rylan wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Why hasn't someone started a topic that says "Why isn't Dustin Jeffrey getting a chance with Sid?"

Please don't encourage. :lol:

Someone was apparently talking about it, Froggy was complaining about people clamoring for it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:07 pm

JeffREy is an NHL player... he deserves as much of a shot as anyone on line 2...

He also has skill and defensive ability which would make him deserving of a shot on lines 2, 3, or 4.

Lets not forget he completely outplayed Staal in 2011 when placed with Neal and Kovalev. Then he got hurt.

HCDB needs to handle him properly because hes an asset and we willccertainly need him nexy season when 24 48 and 9 are all Ufas
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 pm

was that a mobile phone post?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Rylan wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Why hasn't someone started a topic that says "Why isn't Dustin Jeffrey getting a chance with Sid?"

Please don't encourage. :lol:

Someone was apparently talking about it, Froggy was complaining about people clamoring for it.

:roll:
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Jeffrey has the opportunity to have a long-term role on the team due to his versatility - he seems to have enough hockey IQ to understand his role and enough skill to be bottom 6, top 6 with some luck. I'd prefer to see Glass-Jeffrey/Vitale-Jeffrey/Vitale on the 4th, I'm not sure Adams brings as much as he used to. Jeffrey could then fill a spot at wing on the 3rd next season as I doubt we retain all the upcoming UFA's.

Re the other guys getting shots with Geno, I think they want to see where Bennett is development wise before he secures a spot with Sid next season, a little more AHL time will only help.
Tangradi is at do or die, he will either sink or swim with Geno and Neal and is more a stop-gap for players better suited to the system. If he drags the line down he will be traded sooner rather than later.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Jeffrey is a more mobile and intelligent player than Tangradi. If we want a "stop gap" before Bennett gets his shot, it should be him. I think people only remember the post-injury Jeffrey, because he did some nice things with lesser players before that knee injury.

He is just at NHL speed, so any issues he experienced with the knee during his comeback showed big-time. If he were a little faster he may have adjusted to the lack of half a step, but struggling to keep up is not a way to be successful.

If he is healthy now I expect he will be a nice contributor this year, and if given a bigger role he may surprise a lot of folks. Keep in mind that no line has ever really had three guys at a point a game pace. You need a guy who can do a lot of little things and chip in offense as it comes. Corners, back-checking, net front garbage goals are where it matters and he can do those things and free up Malkin and Neal.

As most know, I do not believe Tangradi can do any of that.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby helmespc on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Jeffrey is a more mobile and intelligent player than Tangradi. If we want a "stop gap" before Bennett gets his shot, it should be him. I think people only remember the post-injury Jeffrey, because he did some nice things with lesser players before that knee injury.

Shero is giving Tangradi one "last" chance.... if nothing comes of it, I'm guessing Tangradi is trade fodder at the deadline. I'd anticipate Jeffrey/Bennett taking over at some point.
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm surprised Tangradi isn't trade fodder already to be honest.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 pm

DocEmrick wrote:I'm surprised Tangradi isn't trade fodder already to be honest.

In order to trade him, someone would have to want him
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:

He's in that gray area where you can't get a good return but he won't clear waivers because he might get it this year. Kunitz walked that line too with the Ducks, he was waived, Atlanta picked him up then waived him again but the Ducks picked him back up and he finally hit his potential at age 26.

Tangradi is 23. There's still some time but he will never get a better chance then now playing with two of the best players in the world.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm not saying that Jeffrey is the best player in the world or anything like that it is just that DB's comments to the press have never mentioned him. He has said that Tangradi, Cooke, Glass, Kennedy, and Bennett (obviously until today) would all see work on Geno's line. I still don't understand why Jeffrey has never even been mentioned or given a chance. We are seriously going to see Tangradi on Geno's wing saturday at the start of the game.....
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Ryan Malone was 24 when he finally made it... Tangradi is not behind schedule for his development curve as a big guy.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm

DelPen wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:

He's in that gray area where you can't get a good return but he won't clear waivers because he might get it this year. Kunitz walked that line too with the Ducks, he was waived, Atlanta picked him up then waived him again but the Ducks picked him back up and he finally hit his potential at age 26.

Tangradi is 23. There's still some time but he will never get a better chance then now playing with two of the best players in the world.

Exactly. Right now, Tangradi isn't going to fetch much in a trade but since he's still one of the Pens' top forward prospects it isn't worth risking him on the waiver wire. He's pretty well on the roster for good now, whether that's part of the lineup or as a healthy scratch is "up to him".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby helmespc on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

pcm wrote:Ryan Malone was 24 when he finally made it... Tangradi is not behind schedule for his development curve as a big guy.

I hope you're right, but I'd have a hard time agreeing with anyone that says Tangradi is going to score 20+ goals and 40+ points this year, as Malone did in 2003-04.

Argh.... shortened season.... so lets say 10+ goals and 20+ points?
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm

I don't think he'll score 10, but I don't think it wouldn't be out of the question for him to get 10+ assists.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:23 pm

I met someone in college at PSU who said he played hockey with Tangradi and told me how good he was before we even got him so it made me really pumped but Its really hard to support Tangradi. Most want him to succeed so bad as do I but his time is running out esp since we have some good looking young talent. Jeffrey has shown tremendous potential and i would really like to see what he can do again. Hopefully they both step up.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm definitely not arguing that Tangradi is as good as Malone, but rather that big guys with talent take longer to develop. Look around the league. most of these types of players establish themselves @ 24. Ryane Clowe plays 18 games in 05-06 for the Sharks (age 23), he racks up 2 assists. Next year, turns 24 and puts up 16 g 18 a.

Tangradi is only 23. So all the people suggesting he's a bust are jumping the gun big time.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:45 pm

I'd rather have Jeffrey on the 3rd line than Tyler Kennedy on this team at all.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby helmespc on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

pcm wrote:I'm definitely not arguing that Tangradi is as good as Malone, but rather that big guys with talent take longer to develop. Look around the league. most of these types of players establish themselves @ 24. Ryane Clowe plays 18 games in 05-06 for the Sharks (age 23), he racks up 2 assists. Next year, turns 24 and puts up 16 g 18 a.

Tangradi is only 23. So all the people suggesting he's a bust are jumping the gun big time.

I don't disagree.... but its hard for a team in "win now" mode to deal with slow developing talent. I'd love to see the kid break out after all the crap he's gotten over the past few years....
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 pm

I understand that you need to give guys time to develop, but my beef with Tangradi is that he doesn't seem to have any mean streak or physical presence, and that's something that should be there from the get go. A big guy that doesn't play big is no asset. Maybe he's done this in the minors but I haven't seen it in his limited stints with the Pens.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby k0la on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:48 am

Jeffrey got some time on PK during that pretty good stretch he had 2 seasons ago, and that's how he can become a part of the lineup. Work on his PK, if he can be almost as good as Adams he can take his spot on the 4th line, then you get the occasional shot at playing with the two headed monster while their respective lines are resting and try to prove you got something more.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bh on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am

Nizzy wrote:I'd rather have Jeffrey on the 3rd line than Tyler Kennedy on this team at all.

:roll: :lol:
Yeah, get rid of a hard working 15-20 goal guy that always seems to be part of the '3rd best line' in the league.
I just don't get this TK hate.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 am

bh wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I'd rather have Jeffrey on the 3rd line than Tyler Kennedy on this team at all.

:roll: :lol:
Yeah, get rid of a hard working 15-20 goal guy that always seems to be part of the '3rd best line' in the league.
I just don't get this TK hate.

Because when you take away his 15 goals, he goes completely invisible for 8 games at a time. Then he'll have a 2 goal game and won't be heard from again for 15. So much of that best 3rd line in the league was Staal's big body. Little Kennedy is so good at chipping the puck down the boards... He's got a sneaky shot, when goalies see it coming, its 100% middle of the chest. Erik Christensen could score 15 playing with Cooke and Staal.

I just don't get this TK love fest. He's really not that great.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 pm

Isn't that the reason he is a 3rd liner and not top 6? If he was consistant with his goal scoring he would have already been promoted to the top 6. No one is saying he is a great player but he's good at his role. Forecheck, cycle, provide some secondary scoring, be responsible defensively and provide energy. He does all of that. Don't expect him to be Chris Kunitz. Take him for what he is, a 3rd liner, and all the sudden you realize what type of value he brings to the table in that role.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 pm

joopen wrote:Isn't that the reason he is a 3rd liner and not top 6? If he was consistant with his goal scoring he would have already been promoted to the top 6. No one is saying he is a great player but he's good at his role. Forecheck, cycle, provide some secondary scoring, be responsible defensively and provide energy. He does all of that. Don't expect him to be Chris Kunitz. Take him for what he is, a 3rd liner, and all the sudden you realize what type of value he brings to the table in that role.

Meh. He does all of that...sometimes. When Kennedy is confident, he's a borderline second line winger. When Kennedy is lacking confidence, he's a borderline NHL'er. Combine the two, and he's a third liner. He is a tenacious forechecker when he wants to be. He is good at the cycle when he wants to be. He does provide secondary scoring in spurts. He is average, at best, defensively, and benefits mostly from his speed and having two very defense-minded linemates. And he does provide a lot of energy.

By no means would I want Jeffrey over him -- but I certainly won't be too sad if/when he is replaced.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins