can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: can i get a recap/summary of the black vs gold game?

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Great58 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:so you're saying one of three things:

1) staal fit in on the 3rd line in the past, but not this year
2) staal never fit in on the 3rd line - this year or in past years
3) you're bringing in his current contract as a factor

if it's #3, then we agree. too expensive to "fit in". but if it's #1 or #2, then i'm interested in hearing more, because that's nutso.

I'd suggest both #1 and #3 are valid arguments. Staal was no longer content to play a #3 center roll, making keeping him in that position ill-advised. Sutter is a better "fit" at this stage of their respective careers.

lack of contentment is more than offset by playing in a contract year. if he was on the pens this year and he knew this was the end because of his role, he still would have still been working his tail off to up his price tag for the offseason.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Great58 wrote:

if it's #3, then we agree. too expensive to "fit in". but if it's #1 or #2, then i'm interested in hearing more, because that's nutso.

I'd suggest both #1 and #3 are valid arguments. Staal was no longer content to play a #3 center roll, making keeping him in that position ill-advised. Sutter is a better "fit" at this stage of their respective careers.

Exactly. It's a simple concept: Staal simply outgrew his role in Pittsburgh.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Great58 wrote:

lack of contentment is more than offset by playing in a contract year. if he was on the pens this year and he knew this was the end because of his role, he still would have still been working his tail off to up his price tag for the offseason.

What if his playing in a contract year meant he was more focused on offensive productivity to put numbers up to support his desire to be a #1 or #2 center? Then he would fit less well in a #3 center role if his defensive efforts received secondary attention.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Great58 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Great58 wrote:

What if his playing in a contract year meant he was more focused on offensive productivity to put numbers up to support his desire to be a #1 or #2 center? Then he would fit less well in a #3 center role if his defensive efforts received secondary attention.

it's hard for a center to cherry pick. but i think we've probably already seen the version of staal who puts offense first. and that guy was pretty great. a 3rd line doesn't have to be so rigidly defensive. if staal could regularly score at the pace he hit last year, the coaches would gladly put him anywhere in the lineup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 pm

But...

Spoiler:
GMRS traded him. :pop:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Stevo wrote:THE GOOD:

Letang/despress pairing has me super excited. like two barry whites out there. Just too smooth

:thumb:
8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

meh, maybe it's just me, but Depres didn't impress me. Don't get me wrong, I am hoping he proves me totally wrong.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Sutter has higher potential than Staal IMO
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 am

Super excited about Sutter. He isn't Jordan Staal, but then again he doesn't have to be. He's a heck of a player. We traded the best 3rd line center in hochey, and in return we got the new best third line center in hockey, plus pieces.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

DesertPenguin wrote:Super excited about Sutter. He isn't Jordan Staal, but then again he doesn't have to be. He's a heck of a player. We traded the best 3rd line center in hochey, and in return we got the new best third line center in hockey, plus pieces.

:thumb: pieces plus some vital cap wiggle, something everyone will appreciate at the deadline (shoring up the D or adding a winger would have been all but impossible with Staal, Shero may be able to do both with Sutter).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins