18000 watches internal scrimmage = hockey town

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

18000 watches internal scrimmage = hockey town

Postby Lesky on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Over 18000 at a scrimmage :handclap:

Impressive turnout - I guess Penguins fans are not holding a grudge after the lockout?

Tim Braden had fresh ink of a skating Penguin on his right forearm and Brandon Sutter‘s name and No. 16 on the back of his black T-shirt.

He was ready for the Penguins.

So were more than 18,000 fans who packed Consol Energy Center on Wednesday night for a Penguins scrimmage, one that a week ago did not exist on a schedule.

“Our fans just announced en masse that Pittsburgh is also a hockey town,” Penguins CEO David Morehouse said. “I‘d like to say I‘m surprised, but I‘m not.”

For the first NHL “game” in Pittsburgh since April 20, Morehouse ordered the arena‘s luxury suites be opened to accommodate fans who otherwise would have been turned away.

Admission and parking was free, so was the love for hockey.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3308888-74/penguins-fans-braden#ixzz2IGbp2av4

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/3308888-74/penguins-fans-braden#axzz2IGaGuudA

Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 18000 watches internal scrimmage = hockey town

Postby Lesky on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Posted this on HFboards to brag a little about the Penguins fan support :)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... st57744883
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Lesky wrote:Posted this on HFboards to brag a little about the Penguins fan support :)

you realize what you started over there? This just made the pens look bad because its as if you are claiming we are hockeytown. So much hate in that thread, you stirred up the hate nest.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Apparently, in Boston, you had to "buy" tickets to their scrimmage. Was free, but wasn't first come first serve. The unforeseen consequence of this was you had scalpers charging people for tickets and people who reserved tickets not bothering to show up.

Also, good on the Penguins for opening up the suites.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I almost posted about the Wild's free scrimmage only drew 13K, but they made the tickets only available to season ticket holders and capped it at 13K.

I was wondering if other teams fans would call us sheeple for filling the barn again, but now I know the answer. Being isolated from most hockey fans, and staying away from other team's message boards, I don't honestly care what other fans say... ;)
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

I dont think teams should ever do a complete "free" event like this. Make admission a couple of bucks for adults and free for children or a couple of canned goods and give the $$ or food to the food bank or something. I would rather that place have 10,000 people in it and give a check or a few truckloads of food to somewhere it could use it than 18,000 people in it for free.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

To the Penguins organization, that is in essence, still free. Giving money to charitable organizations is something individuals can do on their own time without the Penguins involvement. I thought it was a great move and made for a great atmosphere from what I could tell watching on TV.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:41 pm

ajh2298 wrote:I dont think teams should ever do a complete "free" event like this. Make admission a couple of bucks for adults and free for children or a couple of canned goods and give the $$ or food to the food bank or something. I would rather that place have 10,000 people in it and give a check or a few truckloads of food to somewhere it could use it than 18,000 people in it for free.

Free is the only thing they can do that people wont ***** about, and even then I'm sure some of those that rolled in right at gametime complained about having to sit in the upper level
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

ajh2298 wrote:I dont think teams should ever do a complete "free" event like this. Make admission a couple of bucks for adults and free for children or a couple of canned goods and give the $$ or food to the food bank or something. I would rather that place have 10,000 people in it and give a check or a few truckloads of food to somewhere it could use it than 18,000 people in it for free.

people who never will have the chance to pay the dollars to see Sid or Evgeni; a hockey game, did. Absolutely no harm.

D Molinari tweeting Montreal ONLY had 17000 come out for their practice...
Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG
Hearing from many Canadiens fans that it's extremely cold in Montreal. Who possibly could have seen that coming there in mid-January
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Not gonna complain about since it's the risk I ran for showing up so late, but the part about the Penguins not turning people away....yeah, that's false. I was part of a rather large group that was turned away shortly after puck drop.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 am

You do realize that the NHL is doing things for the fans for the cluster **** that was the NHL Lockout. Right?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 am

btw...Dejan took credit for the Pens opening up the suites on his twitter. He also said that he created the Internet, not Al Gore and the Pirates suck.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:58 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:
Lesky wrote:Posted this on HFboards to brag a little about the Penguins fan support :)

you realize what you started over there? This just made the pens look bad because its as if you are claiming we are hockeytown. So much hate in that thread, you stirred up the hate nest.

:D I did not realize this - the thread was even deleted while I slept. What the heck happened?
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IamtheWaris on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am

JS© wrote:Not gonna complain about since it's the risk I ran for showing up so late, but the part about the Penguins not turning people away....yeah, that's false. I was part of a rather large group that was turned away shortly after puck drop.

I don't think he meant every fan would be accomodated. He meant that some fans who would have otherwise been turned away (ones who showed up earlier than you) were allowed to enter due to press boxes being opened.
IamtheWaris
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ossa on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

The Penguins‘ Black & Gold scrimmage registered a 6.67 Nielsen rating for Root Sports Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. That bested all prime-time programming on any network or cable station. About 210,000 regional viewers watched the scrimmage, Nielsen reported.

http://triblive.com/mobile/m/msports/mp ... bylsma-nhl

Just posted a thread on HF about the Pens TV ratings for the scrimmage. People aren't too happy on there. I'm sure it will be locked shortly :D
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:09 pm

IamtheWaris wrote:
JS© wrote:Not gonna complain about since it's the risk I ran for showing up so late, but the part about the Penguins not turning people away....yeah, that's false. I was part of a rather large group that was turned away shortly after puck drop.

I don't think he meant every fan would be accomodated. He meant that some fans who would have otherwise been turned away (ones who showed up earlier than you) were allowed to enter due to press boxes being opened.

There was a carefully worded release that said nobody was turned away that I was referring to.

I'm not even mad. I showed up late by free ticket standards and I knew that's the risk I ran. But to say that nobody was turned away isn't entirely accurate.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:11 pm

Ossa wrote:Just posted a thread on HF about the Pens TV ratings for the scrimmage. People aren't too happy on there. I'm sure it will be locked shortly :D

Of course. The mods that run the Penguins board are a bunch of d-holes.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am

So what? Its a frontrunner city and the pens are currently near the front. Pittsburgh is mostly a bandwagon town. Were no better than any other city; slightly worse I'd say because the provincial chest beating is obnoxious and paper thin.

/realtalk
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nuge on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 am

canaan wrote:So what? Its a frontrunner city and the pens are currently near the front. Pittsburgh is mostly a bandwagon town. Were no better than any other city; slightly worse I'd say because the provincial chest beating is obnoxious and paper thin.

/realtalk

Yep
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:04 am

Ossa wrote:
The Penguins‘ Black & Gold scrimmage registered a 6.67 Nielsen rating for Root Sports Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. That bested all prime-time programming on any network or cable station. About 210,000 regional viewers watched the scrimmage, Nielsen reported.

Just posted a thread on HF about the Pens TV ratings for the scrimmage. People aren't too happy on there. I'm sure it will be locked shortly :D

Link please can not find the thread :)
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:29 am

Imagine if directv didn't black the scrimmage out.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:36 am

Ossa wrote:

Thats impressive... These numbers usually end up underreporting some demos, so the number probably is even bigger... :thumb:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins