Don't cruicfy me for making the suggestion..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Don't cruicfy me for making the suggestion..

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 pm

I don't care what he has done the last few seasons, I hope Gomez gets another chance somewhere. I don't think he's done.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Well Gomez and Redden were both waived today, and will become unrestricted FA's if they pass through waivers (which they both will). This was made possible by the NHL's new accelerated compliance buyout rule which expires on saturday. Both of these guys will land a spot with some team before too long. For the right price, I wouldn't mind either of them. They both fill a need and assuming their abilities haven't deteriorated too badly over the past couple of years, they are both decent players (again at the right price). As far as Redden, and even Gomez being more than just a cap casualty, I understand what the poster was saying, and agree that they were obviously not playing well at the time they were sent down to the minors, but I can pretty much guarantee that if they had received contracts closer to what they were actually worth (somewhere in the 2-3 mil range) at the time, that they'd still be playing for their respective teams, or at least somewhere. A lot of the slack that they both seem to get can be attributed to the ridiculous contracts they were given, although I do recall Gomez in particular, being quite bad towards the end.

And as far as Lovejoy and Engelland being better than Redden, I'm not exactly 100% convinced about that. If he is in fact, more or less the same player he was when he last played in the NHL, then I'd tend to disagree, although I do realize that we need Engelland on the team for other reasons. At the very least it adds depth, which we don't really have, as well as some veteran leadership. Sometimes just being in the right environment, and having a little extra motivation can be the cure. I cant' say for sure if either of these guys have anything left in the tank, but at the very least, it seems worth looking into.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby smoothmoneyb on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm

So Redden lands a one year deal in St. Louis. It will be interesting to see how his seasons plays out, and whether he's go an game left. $800,000 is pretty cheap though.. can't say there's too much of a risk. At least they know the guy's playing b/c he wants to play and not for the money.

Wonder where Gomez will land. I'd expect we'll be hearing something within the next few days. Do it Shero!
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TangerBell45 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

Steve wrote:Looks like he's available now:

This.
Is glorious.
TangerBell45
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:41 am

Steve wrote:Looks like he's available now:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is epic.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't care what he has done the last few seasons, I hope Gomez gets another chance somewhere. I don't think he's done.

You're right, he's got plenty of suck left in him and some AHL teams will probably welcome all the suckitude he can bring.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SteelCityFan on Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 am

helmespc wrote:If the Penguins can't develop 1 NHL defenseman out of 8 prospects, they should just disband their farm system.

^This
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins