Pens Defense

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens Defense

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Sarcastic wrote:If Despres and Bortuzzo chip in, it will certainly help. What worries me is the amount of ice time guys like martin and niskanen get. I'll be rooting for them, but their lack of size and clear cut skill isn't something that can really change. That's where we need Bylsma to come in with a plan.

I liked Grossman a lot. According to many Flyers fans, he was their best D in the playoffs. I think we could have really used him ourselves, to be honest.


Too expensive for this team
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,266
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I think our D is, again, a question mark and I refuse to see the Pens as a clear cut threat to win the cup until it proves itself. I said it many times in the past that I want to see one more scoring D (to replace martin or niskanen) and one big mean sob who can push people out of the crease.


Martin was 53rd in the league among D scoring. I don't think D scoring is an issue with him (considering how many D are behind him).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 pm

You just like to argue with me on anything.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Sarcastic wrote:You just like to argue with me on anything.


Defensive, much?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I think our D is, again, a question mark and I refuse to see the Pens as a clear cut threat to win the cup until it proves itself. I said it many times in the past that I want to see one more scoring D (to replace martin or niskanen) and one big mean sob who can push people out of the crease.


Martin was 53rd in the league among D scoring. I don't think D scoring is an issue with him (considering how many D are behind him).


So Statistically he's in #2 range for scoring where Letang should be in the top 20 or so prorated.

Martin is so frustrating because when he's good he's really good but when he's off his game he's hands down the worst player on the team. Reminds me of Gonchar in that regard. Hopefully his last three years end up like Gonchar's where he plays the best hockey of his life coming up. We will see pretty quick today if he is still making stupid pinches on the other side and keeps backing into his own end giving up the blue line while giving the shooter a screen.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,554
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I think our D is, again, a question mark and I refuse to see the Pens as a clear cut threat to win the cup until it proves itself. I said it many times in the past that I want to see one more scoring D (to replace martin or niskanen) and one big mean sob who can push people out of the crease.


Martin was 53rd in the league among D scoring. I don't think D scoring is an issue with him (considering how many D are behind him).


So Statistically he's in #2 range for scoring where Letang should be in the top 20 or so prorated.

Martin is so frustrating because when he's good he's really good but when he's off his game he's hands down the worst player on the team. Reminds me of Gonchar in that regard. Hopefully his last three years end up like Gonchar's where he plays the best hockey of his life coming up. We will see pretty quick today if he is still making stupid pinches on the other side and keeps backing into his own end giving up the blue line while giving the shooter a screen.


Letang was 17th in the league for D-man scoring last year, just as a reference.

There's nothing wrong with our D scoring. They're pretty much on par with the rest of the league.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You just like to argue with me on anything.


Defensive, much?


I don't know what you're talking about.

Point is that Martin is as inept in creating offense as he is in playing physical hockey. I hope his positioning is better than last year because that's all he's got.

I don't want to bash him before we play, but I am saying he has a lot to prove this year and do it quickly.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:You just like to argue with me on anything.


Defensive, much?


I don't know what you're talking about.

Point is that Martin is as inept in creating offense as he is in playing physical hockey. I hope his positioning is better than last year because that's all he's got.

I don't want to bash him before we play, but I am saying he has a lot to prove this year and do it quickly.


How can you say he's "inept" at creating offense when he's 2nd on the team and in the 2nd tier in the league of defensive point getters?

Inept in your mind, perhaps, but the facts disagree.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby KG on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

73 games 2 goals 25 assists 98 shots, 24 hits....I say that's horribly inept for a $5mill/year player....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Pens Defense

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Second assists? Goalie's get them too when they stop the puck behind the net for their defenseman.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Really? A second assist argument? So, we should just not count anyone else's assists either, because they may be secondary. Malkin shouldn't have won the Art Ross, he may have had too many secondary assists :face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Well, listen, if both the GM and the coach publically admit he wasn't good last year, I think I'm going to take their word for it. As i said, I will be rooting for him and all that. But he needs to be better and i'm sure he knows it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Pens Defense

Postby pugilist13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Really? A second assist argument? So, we should just not count anyone else's assists either, because they may be secondary. Malkin shouldn't have won the Art Ross, he may have had too many secondary assists :face:

Lol, smile and be happy. I smell a big grudge match type victory today. Go Pens!
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,258
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: your back yard

Re: Pens Defense

Postby KG on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Well, listen, if both the GM and the coach publically admit he wasn't good last year, I think I'm going to take their word for it. As i said, I will be rooting for him and all that. But he needs to be better and i'm sure he knows it.


With you... :thumb:
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Pens Defense

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:47 pm

I'll just say something...

Vindicated.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,012
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pens Defense

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:17 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I'll just say something...

Vindicated.


hahahaah, awesome. I was so waiting for this. The one game "vindicated" or "I told you they sucked thread".

Each team looked like they were skating with bricks in their skates, Ill give it a few weeks before making a decision good or bad on anyone.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Pens Defense

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:27 pm

x2. Way too early to tell for any of them, Despres, Martin, etc. 1 game doesnt tell the season, although Martin played very well today. If he plays all season as he did today then come post vindicated
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,750
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: Pens Defense

Postby shmenguin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

This isn't the first time Martin had a good game. In fact, he had a long stretch last year where he was tremendous.

His peak ability isn't the issue. It's those 40-50 games where he ranged from average to garbage. If he still struggles that much with consistency, there's still a big problem.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,266
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Great58 and 5 guests


e-mail