Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby André on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 am

Hey,

Thougt we could use a thread for the wing debate. There are different ones with specific names popping up and conversation in many threads are steered towards this subject so why not put it all in one thread. Do your name dropping here instead of in a new thread.

It's an old, by now dead and beaten beyond all recognition horse but I know I'm not alone thinking that the depth (well, lack of really) of skilled wingers is a problem. Sullivan wasn't replaced, offensively Dupuis probably overachieved last year, and so on. We also know Pens were in the Parise hunt and they have 9 mil in cap space for this season. I'm thinking we'll see a rental a la Hossa 08. But why not get someone sooner rather than later?

There are tons of young, skilled wingers on decent or good contracts out there and I'm surprised Pens didn't snag one.

Here's a new thought, however. Penner and Gagne were both healthy scratches for the Kings last night. What's up with that?

Gagne hasn't been a hit with the Kings, he only played 34 games last year and has been injury prone. However he's "only" 32 and we all know his upside: Speedy sniper still with a two way game.

Penner had five straight good seasons before going downhill three years ago. He did well in last year's playoffs, however. He's 30 and something of a productive power forward isn't he?

What made me consider these two at all is that they're both at the last year of their contracts and at 3.5 and 3.25 mil cap hits. I wouldn't mind that gamble at all. Especially with Gagne.

What do you think? And what do we send in return? The Kings shipped Johnson last year so they might want defensive prospects? Nah they're pretty strong there?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/los_angeles_kings/
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Wingers 12-13 season (speculation, name drops, etc)

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:23 am

The Kings should be happy to get a conditional draft pick for Gagne, if anything. Sadly, he's damaged good and the Kings would be happy just to get him off the books.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby k0la on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am

I know Pens organisation isn't too fond of euro players, but is there really not someone that could be had for like 1 million-2 million a year that they could pick up from there?
They were willing to use Sullivan, should be able to get someone at least tougher than him even if it's a euro softie.
Say you go and pick up one of the top wingers of a swedish/finnish/swiss team or something like that. Can it really be worse than having Tangradi?
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 am

Hoe about Janne Pesonen?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby k0la on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am

Gaucho wrote:Hoe about Janne Pesonen?

The 1 year contract they gave him wasn't exactly a big gamble. Even if you end up just getting an AHL scorer again isn't that more interesting to try than some old guy in his last contract year?
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 am

André wrote:Hey,

Thougt we could use a thread for the wing debate. There are different ones with specific names popping up and conversation in many threads are steered towards this subject so why not put it all in one thread. Do your name dropping here instead of in a new thread.

It's an old, by now dead and beaten beyond all recognition horse but I know I'm not alone thinking that the depth (well, lack of really) of skilled wingers is a problem. Sullivan wasn't replaced, offensively Dupuis probably overachieved last year, and so on. We also know Pens were in the Parise hunt and they have 9 mil in cap space for this season. I'm thinking we'll see a rental a la Hossa 08. But why not get someone sooner rather than later?

There are tons of young, skilled wingers on decent or good contracts out there and I'm surprised Pens didn't snag one.

Here's a new thought, however. Penner and Gagne were both healthy scratches for the Kings last night. What's up with that?

Gagne hasn't been a hit with the Kings, he only played 34 games last year and has been injury prone. However he's "only" 32 and we all know his upside: Speedy sniper still with a two way game.

Penner had five straight good seasons before going downhill three years ago. He did well in last year's playoffs, however. He's 30 and something of a productive power forward isn't he?

What made me consider these two at all is that they're both at the last year of their contracts and at 3.5 and 3.25 mil cap hits. I wouldn't mind that gamble at all. Especially with Gagne.

What do you think? And what do we send in return? The Kings shipped Johnson last year so they might want defensive prospects? Nah they're pretty strong there?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/los_angeles_kings/

If I'm not mistaken, it's now possible for teams to involve cap space in trades. If, in fact, this is the case, I would consider dealing for either player, assuming the Kings pick up a portion of the cap hit. That would leave the Penguins with a buffer zone to seek an upgrade at the deadline should he not work out.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 am

You're my boy Beau, you're my boy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 am

Gaucho wrote:The Kings should be happy to get a conditional draft pick for Gagne, if anything. Sadly, he's damaged good and the Kings would be happy just to get him off the books.

Dude can still score though. He would be a nice add to the top six mix HCDB has been running.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 am

I'd take Gagne any time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:37 am

Lovejoy for Gagne (e3)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby sil on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am

Wanna go for broke...

Spoiler:
Iggy
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am

I always liked Penner 6'3 245 lbs. I wonder if that is fat or if he is just strong? Gagne has no real value he isn't who he used to be. Cheechoo had a odd fall out. Was a big time talent and fell off the earth. Hemsky always seems to be mentioned each year, he is a highly skilled forward.

But of course my favorite would be Chris Stewart on St. louis.

Sid has seemed kinda invisible 5 on 5 this year. Not sure if its his line mates or if he is just gun shy about getting hit? Malkin has Neal, its time to get Sid a guy that can open room up for him. Would love to add Kunitz back with Malkin and Neal and get Sid a bonified winger with hands. then our forwards would be complete.

Looking at our defence, it doesn't look like a championship defence, might want to address that along with a winger.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 am

I'd take him, too, but if dude can still score, he hasn't much proven it the last 3 season. Lots of injuries, I know.

I don't feel we're in a situation where we need to take gambles. We're not even in a situation where we need to do much of anything.

Except getting Teemu and Iggy at the deadline.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 am

no name wrote:Looking at our defence, it doesn't look like a championship defence.

Me thinks this is more likely to be addressed than a wing at the deadline.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 am

About an FA Euro the Wings might be pulling that off this year with Brunner. But he was exceptional in Switzerland, and got the chance to mesh with Zetterberg over there. It's hard to find someone outside the top players in Russia, however. I still claim MZA can pull it off (0.5 PPG with Rangers with little ice time) but the deadline to join an NHL club is over anyway.

If Gagne would be so easy to get as some claim I'd love to see it. Very much doubt the Kings would stand for any part of the cap space (if trading that is possible now?), however, as he's kind of cheap anyway.
Last edited by André on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 am

André wrote:
If Gagne would be so easy to get as some claim I'd love to see it.

To be honest, I don't even think anyone wants him at this point. Sad, but possibly true.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:58 am

Tangradi failed, which is fine. TK is up next, we will need to see if his contruibutions to the 2nd line outweigh the void not having him on the 4rd line created and then see how the roster shakes out.

I'm more than fine with Glass on the 3rd line but I'm not crazy with Tangradi or Jeffrey on the 4th. I'd sign Kostopolous to a minimum deal and bring him up once he's in game shape if Kennedy works out on the 2nd and glass on the 3rd.

Now if Kennedy fails you roll the dice one more time with Bennett. See what he can do for 5 or so games. It will be clear quickly if he's not ready. At that point you go out and try to grab someone. I'd do it a bit before the deadline like we did with Kunitz and Neal, seem to get better returns.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 am

Curtis Glencross or Brenden Morrow. Glencross would have to be a straight hockey trade since he's signed for the next couple of years at a reasonable cap hit. Morrow would work assuming he is healthy at the trade deadline. The Pens need a winger with some physicality in their game, in addition to a liitle scoring touch.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 am

DelPen wrote:Tangradi failed, which is fine. TK is up next, we will need to see if his contruibutions to the 2nd line outweigh the void not having him on the 4rd line created and then see how the roster shakes out.

I'm more than fine with Glass on the 3rd line but I'm not crazy with Tangradi or Jeffrey on the 4th. I'd sign Kostopolous to a minimum deal and bring him up once he's in game shape if Kennedy works out on the 2nd and glass on the 3rd.

Now if Kennedy fails you roll the dice one more time with Bennett. See what he can do for 5 or so games. It will be clear quickly if he's not ready. At that point you go out and try to grab someone. I'd do it a bit before the deadline like we did with Kunitz and Neal, seem to get better returns.

I think regardless of what happens with Kennedy on the 2nd line, if Kostopolous shows that he still can perform at the NHL level on the fourth line, that's the end of Tangradi. Little dog can't perform a fourth line role, and has shown he doesn't belong on the top 6 on this team.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 am

DelPen wrote:Tangradi failed, which is fine. TK is up next, we will need to see if his contruibutions to the 2nd line outweigh the void not having him on the 4rd line created and then see how the roster shakes out.

i don't think kennedy has looked all that good so far this year. it's probably still just a lockout hangover, but i'm more than a little concerned about what he'll do tonight (mostly because i'll have to sit through the usual LGP kennedy bashfest afterwards). bylsma's tried him out in that spot before when the team's been struggling, but it's never lasted more than a few periods. so i fully expect another short leash, with sutter being the next call-up. after that, the well is dry and moves will have to be made. even with bennett, we'd probably have to waive someone right?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am

Why do you take it so personally when people criticize him? I like Kunitz as a player, but who gives a **** if some don't?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby netwolf on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 am

I predict early comments on TK will be positive b/c he skates fast. Once he opts for a shot to the goalie's chest instead of a pass to 18 or 71 for a layup, things will go back to normal. :)

I don't like him there, but I have seen him passing more in the early going that I remember him doing in the past. I've also seen him trying to challenge guys 1 on 1 w/ stickhandles more often than I remember. I still think he's an excellent 3rd liner and this is asking a bit much of him, but here's hoping it works. I'd rather be wrong and see the team do well. Weird, huh?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am

shmenguin wrote:even with bennett, we'd probably have to waive someone right?

If we need to go to Bennet then Jeffrey and Tangradi will have been on the block for a while and if they aren't moved then waiving them is fine. It would be a shame to lose them for nothing but there's still value in Lovejoy and Bortuzzo that risking one of them on waivers over Jeffrey or tangradi would be a bad idea.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 am

columbia wrote:Why do you take it so personally when people criticize him? I like Kunitz as a player, but who gives a **** if some don't?

defence21 doesn't like kennedy. i disagree with him, but i respect his opinions because they are informed and reasonable. we have an occasional debate on the matter and my feathers aren't ruffled.
malkamaniac hates kennedy, but he admits that it's not really based on much - just an irrational thing.

i can easily deal with stuff like that, but kennedy is a lightning rod for stupidity. and you'll notice that i can't just let stupidity go. it's an admitted fault of mine. things that have come up within the last couple years...he's not a good 3rd liner, his level of play drops in the playoffs, the points he accumulated with sid shouldn't count towards judging his productivity, he faked an injury so he wouldn't have to play in the montreal series, comrie and asham should take his place, he's soft...i'm sure there are more. and these aren't just casual throw away observations. these are arguments people were adamant about. it drives me bonkers.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:37 am

My only knock against Kennedy is he makes too much money for the role he plays on this team. Doesn't kill penalty, 2nd unit PP by default, 3rd line wing. You don't need to spend $2 million on those kind of players.

It's a shame he can't be trusted to kill penalties, if he has a 1-on-1 rush against a forward he culd get some good chances since he shoots from anywhere and can use them as screens.

Hopefully he can perform. I'd put him with Dupuis and Crosby though, seems a better fit.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins