HNIC director comes to Root!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: HNIC director comes to Root!

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am

These last few posts reminded me of a gem from TPB...

Rejected NHL12 Features
We strive for realism at EA Sports. We know that the majority of in-game producers in the United States don't realize the game action should speak for itself. Well, if you're playing as an American team, we've added the Root Sports mode. In NHL12, your gameplay camera angle will be subject to randomly cut to shots of little girls with their faces painted in the stands or even ads for other shows on the network. Fight through the frustration as you miss out on a key faceoff in the offensive zone. Real Time Root™ will also subject your camera to unnecessarily zoom in on a player leading a 2-on-1 rush and you'll get to miss out on watching the play develop. It's In The Game™.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

The only major issue I had with last night's broadcast was the live angle used on that filthy shootout goal by Jayson Megna. You know he's going to the net. You know there's an official on the goal line. You should have known said official was going to be in the way as he made his move. The cameraman shouldn't have even been positioned there, let alone used for a live shot.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

shootouts should always use the same angle that typical gameplay uses - without expception
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slipshod on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Haha... Root Sports Mode is killing me. I missed that on the P-blog.
slipshod
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensOnDVD on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 am

Enough of the kiddies yelling "Let's go Pens" at every commercial break like they do with the Lets Go Bucs chant at Pirate games.

I understand the station is called ROOT and they are "rooting" for their team, but it looks silly.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

I can't take this broadcast. You lose EVERYTHING whenever a Penguin is carrying the puck up the ice. You cannot watch the game, period, when Letang or Geno or Niksy carries the puck. You're going to see their face. You can't tell what the other players are doing, you can't see the passing options, you don't even know if an opposing player is about to hit him. You see NOTHING!

If that was such a good way to watch the game, why wouldn't they zoom in on the other team's players? When the other team carries the puck up the ice they leave it on the normal angle. Does the audience really want to see the player's face that bad that they justify zooming in? It makes me vomit. I will watch the non-US broadcast every single game I get the chance. Root. F'ing. Suck!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 pm

The NFL equivalent would be zooming in on the QB as he is getting ready to throw. MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

no name wrote:
SLF66 wrote:I have to disagree with everyone bashing Steigy and Errey...I think they are great. Steigy keeps it exciting and everyone is always talking about something new Errey said...usually because it is pretty funny. But he knows the game.

If you ever watch Errey on NHL Network, you can see how good he really is when he wants to be serious.

I grew up listening to Mike Lange when he was the TV guy, its hard to get used to anyone else after being spoiled like that. Steigy was a good color man with Mike. Steighy and Errey are ok.

Actually i like Jay on the post game show, he breaks down plays well and explains nicely what you are watching.

Lange at his worst is light years better than Stiegy at his best. Steigy would be as okay as color guy; Borque, Errey or Jay would be better color guys than Steigy
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:37 pm

I thought someone might have posted relevant contact info for Root before. Is that available. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I honestly feel like I'm watching an episode of the Might Ducks. Imagine a football game where you zoom in on the center, snap, normal Football view, zoom in on the WR, show QB's face, zoom out, zoom in on WR as he catches the ball. Save it for the highlight videos. Root's produciton is absolutely infuriating me. I cannot take it.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:41 pm

the only hope that i have is that this game they are taking using the ottawa feed for video and have nothing to do with the direction.

this game is unwatchable like this. so pathetic.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 pm

tfrizz wrote:These last few posts reminded me of a gem from TPB...

Rejected NHL12 Features
We strive for realism at EA Sports. We know that the majority of in-game producers in the United States don't realize the game action should speak for itself. Well, if you're playing as an American team, we've added the Root Sports mode. In NHL12, your gameplay camera angle will be subject to randomly cut to shots of little girls with their faces painted in the stands or even ads for other shows on the network. Fight through the frustration as you miss out on a key faceoff in the offensive zone. Real Time Root™ will also subject your camera to unnecessarily zoom in on a player leading a 2-on-1 rush and you'll get to miss out on watching the play develop. It's In The Game™.

That's fantastic. :)
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am

My favorite is when you see a player coming in for a hit along the boards and they suddenly switch to the ice level camera and completely miss it.

Hockey is a fast paced game and by the time the director see they hit developing and says "camera 3" its too late. Its either already happened or it switches just a split second before the hit and you havent had time to orient yourself to the new angle.

Like everyone else said, Root, save the zooms and alternate angle for the replays. I am a big fan of the end zone camera for power plays, though. More of that.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am

Last night's game was borderline unbearable. I would think the first order of business by anyone new is to fix the problems that keep happening. Missing faceoffs I feel is the largest problem.

Missing one every few games is fine by me. Missing an average of 3 a game is just shoddy sportscasting.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Azkar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Last night's game was borderline unbearable. I would think the first order of business by anyone new is to fix the problems that keep happening. Missing faceoffs I feel is the largest problem.

Missing one every few games is fine by me. Missing an average of 3 a game is just shoddy sportscasting.

That and switching to the corner cameras
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Azkar wrote:
That and switching to the corner cameras

Exactly. Pissed me off too. I'm not interested in those corner cameras when there are hundreds of fans in the stands wearing Pens shirts that Root could be showing me instead.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:Last night's game was borderline unbearable. I would think the first order of business by anyone new is to fix the problems that keep happening. Missing faceoffs I feel is the largest problem.

I completely agree. "Unwatchable" is not an overstatement. They switched so much in the first period of the Devils game I actually felt nauseous, let alone able to follow the game. I really want to write a letter to someone that will read it. I thought we might have had an appropriate address or e-mail address before.

I'm going to continue to hope the Penguins are on NBCSN, NBC, or HNIC through NHLN from now on. In those situations they're not, I'll choose the away feed on Center Ice. I don't want to overreact, but it's really, really, really bad.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 pm

I noticed during the Sens game they went to the endzone camera during the powerplay like I and others suggested. What I didn't think to say was that the camera needs to be up high looking down, not at ice level. :facepalm:
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 pm

If you can't see the entire width of the rink with a camera angle, it shouldn't be used. Period.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 pm

That endzone cam was awful. Never want to see it again.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:I noticed during the Sens game they went to the endzone camera during the powerplay like I and others suggested. What I didn't think to say was that the camera needs to be up high looking down, not at ice level. :facepalm:

I thought the same thing.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins