1/29/13 Islanders v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

1/29/13 Islanders v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Preamble

Good evening everyone. Fans tend to react wildly to results of one game. In a normal season this can be excessive. This year is not a normal season, so the mood swings of fans are even crazier than usual. The shortened season means there are fewer games where a team can mail it in and it is tougher to write off a bad performance. The Pens for their part haven't helped things with their uneven play over 5 games, never really slapping together a full game and showing their full range of capabilities. This isn't terribly surprising since teams had a whole week to practice together and God knows what the players were doing over the last few months. Apparently Chris Kunitz had his hands surgically removed over the lockout. Thankfully it doesn't look like anyone spent the lockout eating pizza. The most positive thing so far is that Fleury looks to have shaken off last year's meltdown in the playoffs; the 2nd most positive thing is that Vokoun is a completely capable backup. The third? Um, Bylsma's facial hair? I'll get back to you on that.

The good news of course is that just about everyone is going through what the Pens are going through, and the Pens have gotten by so far in decent shape. I'm sure Capitals fans would gladly trade results right now. 6 points in 5 games is a solid clip, and has them a mere point behind the Devils. I don't think playoff seeding will matter a whole lot this year- the key is to get to the playoffs in decent shape and have everyone on the same page after this short sprint.

Tonight's game is on NBC Sports, which is a mixed blessing. I like being able to watch the games on TV, but I won't get Steigy and Errey waving pom-poms for Eric Tangradi. I wonder if they'll be doing the same for him tonight in the comfort of their homes. I'm sure Tangradi will be responsible for every Pens goal tonight.

Standings? Standings. http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings Still early, but not all that early. While the Isles haven't been awful this year, this is a game the Pens should win, and it would be nice to bank these points with the next 3 games against the Rangers, Devils and Caps. And of course, the Flyers suck.

Anyway people, have fun tonight. Try to keep the stupid pictures Pens-related, though I realize that will be ignored like usual by you rabble. We may or may not be able to criticize bad play, which is fine because Optimist Rocco is in the neighborhood if needed. A win tonight and we can plan the Cup parade; lose and it may be time to trade Sid and start over. Let's roll.
Last edited by Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 1/29/13 Islanders v. Penguins- Official Game Thread

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Tldnr Go pens
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

canaan wrote:Tldnr Go pens

It's not that you didn't read- it's that you can't read.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 pm

DON'T SUCK PENS!!!
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Gaucho wrote:DON'T SUCK PENS!!!

:thumb: :lol:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:17 pm

LETS GO PENS!!!!!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:20 pm

6 pts in 5 games, but yeah,

LETS GO PENS!
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Rocco wrote:Preamble

Good evening everyone. Fans tend to react wildly to results of one game. In a normal season this can be excessive. This year is not a normal season, so the mood swings of fans are even crazier than usual. The shortened season means there are fewer games where a team can mail it in and it is tougher to write off a bad performance. The Pens for their part haven't helped things with their uneven play over 5 games, never really slapping together a full game and showing their full range of capabilities. This isn't terribly surprising since teams had a whole week to practice together and God knows what the players were doing over the last few months. Apparently Chris Kunitz had his hands surgically removed over the lockout. Thankfully it doesn't look like anyone spent the lockout eating pizza. The most positive thing so far is that Fleury looks to have shaken off last year's meltdown in the playoffs; the 2nd most positive thing is that Vokoun is a completely capable backup. The third? Um, Bylsma's facial hair? I'll get back to you on that.

The good news of course is that just about everyone is going through what the Pens are going through, and the Pens have gotten by so far in decent shape. I'm sure Capitals fans would gladly trade results right now. 6 points in 10 games is a solid clip, and has them a mere point behind the Devils. I don't think playoff seeding will matter a whole lot this year- the key is to get to the playoffs in decent shape and have everyone on the same page after this short sprint.

Tonight's game is on NBC Sports, which is a mixed blessing. I like being able to watch the games on TV, but I won't get Steigy and Errey waving pom-poms for Eric Tangradi. I wonder if they'll be doing the same for him tonight in the comfort of their homes. I'm sure Tangradi will be responsible for every Pens goal tonight.

Standings? Standings. http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings Still early, but not all that early. While the Isles haven't been awful this year, this is a game the Pens should win, and it would be nice to bank these points with the next 3 games against the Rangers, Devils and Caps. And of course, the Flyers suck.

Anyway people, have fun tonight. Try to keep the stupid pictures Pens-related, though I realize that will be ignored like usual by you rabble. We may or may not be able to criticize bad play, which is fine because Optimist Rocco is in the neighborhood if needed. A win tonight and we can plan the Cup parade; lose and it may be time to trade Sid and start over. Let's roll.

My TVs showing the pregame with ROOTS televising the game at 7:30
Last edited by Geezer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:6 pts in 5 games, but yeah,

LETS GO PENS!

Crap, I meant to say "6 out of 10 points".
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Depres is in the lineup?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

No Travis Hamonic tonight for the Isles...he's their best shutdown d-man for those that don't know...big plus for us...

EDIT: Hamonic is in tonight apparently...not great news for us...

Lot of waiver fodder on this roster, but ya never know with us...

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo - Top line that has been upgraded with Okposo (from Parenteau before), Tavares is a superstar in this league and these are very capable, especially in tight around the net. If they box out our d-men in front of Fleury, we might as well start skating to center. Must protect the front of the net against these guys, collapse down low...could see Boyes or Ullstrom in Okposo's spot at times, the slimmer Capuano will tinker a bit...

Grabner-Nielsen-Boyes - A lot of speed here, not always a lot of finish. Grabner is super fast, Nielsen is a very good two-way forward with an underrated skill set. We have to get some mobility out there against these guys, Engelland probably won't cut it...let Despres (?) handle these guys with someone that's positionally sound (Bortuzzo? I don't know who we're dressing yet) I'd think...they're dangerous in transition, but they'd have trouble maintaining possession in our end I would think...

Ullstrom-Aucoin-McDonald - A couple of AHL vets in Keith Aucoin and Colin McDonald...AAAA players, this is there one chance to stick. These guys are not defensive minded, this is not their shutdown line, this is another scoring line...Ullstrom is really underrated, he has some skill to him...hopefully Engelland (if he plays) can handle these AHLers (and Ullstrom)...

Martin-Reasoner-Boulton/Cizikas - Martin hits everything that moves, Boulton is a tough guy and Reasoner is pretty old...they're supposed to play defense really, but they'll probably rely on the Nielsen line against one of Crosby or Malkin and let this line play just a handful of minutes...they can't readily have this line play 14 minutes a night trying to play against top men...edit: could be young Casey Cizikas tonight as well

Streit-Strait - Steigy and Errey I'm sure will have one and a half monkey barrels worth of fun with this one...we know both these guys by now I trust...

MacDonald-Hickey - MacDonald is one half of a nice little shutdown pairing (usually with Hamonic) instead their with Thomas Hickey, a former 4th overall pick (a reach...they should have drafted Teravainen...or something...) claimed off waivers from LA...smallish defenseman that doesn't bring a ton to the table really, just trying to find his identity in the league...

Carkner-Martinek/Finley - Carkner is like Engelland except he fights more...Finley was drafted for his size and Martinek is made of glass, but is a good positional defenseman, kind of like Eaton I guess, as a rough comparison...capable of handling things on the fly, but if it's Carkner and Finley, you'll get them to chase and get lost on a cycle (do we still cycle?)...

Nabokov I think is in tonight, backed by DiPietro, both competent goalies certainly...

The Isles hate third period leads even more they we do...
Last edited by mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Rossi sitting in for Grover on the radio. Hope this isn't an omen for how the night could go. Not a huge fan of his reportage, but he does sound like a nice guy. Eh.

Flyers behind less than 2 min. in their game. Hope the Rangers light up Bryzmonaut.

Rocco, bring us a W. I believe in you. :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Jeffrey in on 2nd, Tangradi out
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

So if Jeffrey doesn't score tonight is everyone going to say he sucks and shouldn't even have a roster spot?
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:29 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Flyers behind less than 2 min. in their game. Hope the Rangers light up Bryzmonaut.

Sidenote: my goaltending is single handed killing every single one of my fantasy hockey teams.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

DelPen wrote:Jeffrey in on 2nd, Tangradi out

You know how on Simcity 2000 if you cut transportation funding there was an angry message from the transportation advisor about how you'd regret it? That's Steigy right now after hearing the news.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:30 pm

How effective can Hamonic be if he couldn't move two days ago?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id= ... l:topheads
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

Sidenote: my goaltending is single handed killing every single one of my fantasy hockey teams.

I mean, if you rolled the dice on Bryzgalov, you kinda deserve that.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Tangradi's gotta be one confused winger. I think everyone pretty well agrees that Sunday was his best game of the season, and he's scratched tonight.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Rocco wrote:

You know how on Simcity 2000 if you cut transportation funding there was an angry message from the transportation advisor about how you'd regret it? That's Steigy right now after hearing the news.

Errey: "I have no advice at this time"
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 pm

tfrizz wrote:

Tangradi's gotta be one confused winger. I think everyone pretty well agrees that Sunday was his best game of the season, and he's scratched tonight.

That's a sad, sad statement because its true and he still didn't play all that well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:How effective can Hamonic be if he couldn't move two days ago?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id= ... l:topheads

Hamonic is a man, and he does man things. Included in those man things is: ....being effective......and moving......

<--- <3's Hamonic
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

okay, this is kinda cool..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Rocco wrote:

I mostly remember doing this to bhaw when we were kids if he stopped paying attention mid-game

joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:35 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Errey: "I have no advice at this time"

+1 for both of you
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins